Espar B4 gasoline heater in truck without aux fuel tap?

beneng_jr

Anyone have any beta on installing these in vehicles without aux fuel tap ports on the fuel pump? Wondering if its possible to T into the fuel lines somehow- the thought of removing the fuel tank on a 2015 Canyon to access the fuel pump and drill a hole through it or the tank sounds like not fun.

john61ct

Adventurer
Most say a new tap is the way to go.

Intake off the floor so your heater can't drain the last bit of fuel.

Or a dedicated auxiliary tank. . .

javajoe79

Fabricator
Don't remove the tank. It's almost always easier to leave it in place and remove the bed. Get a few buddies to help, it's really easy and you can have it unbolted in probably 10 minutes, unplug the lights and lift it off.

A T into a fuel line wouldn't work either. The pump is in the tank and you would be drawing through the pump and check valve. I bet it would run a little while but eventually suck the fuel line dry until the next time you ran the truck. Plus it would feed the Espar high pressure fuel each time you ran the engine and I doubt the Espar would like that.

86scotty

Cynic
It depends on the truck and tank. I can get the tank off my Tundra in about 10 minutes. I have a lift though.

Raise truck and put table under tank
Lower truck to where tank is resting on table
Unbolt and lift truck off tank, tank is left sitting on table

It all depends on vehicle and setup though.

I have also heard that T'ing off fuel lines for these heaters does not work well.

javajoe79

Fabricator
It depends on the truck and tank. I can get the tank off my Tundra in about 10 minutes. I have a lift though.

Raise truck and put table under tank
Lower truck to where tank is resting on table
Unbolt and lift truck off tank, tank is left sitting on table

It all depends on vehicle and setup though.

I have also heard that T'ing off fuel lines for these heaters does not work well.
You're not wrong but you can probably get the bed off in 10 minutes too. No disconnecting fuel lines or wiring plus for this application, everything remains sitting there as it is installed so you know exactly what you're dealing with in terms of clearance and routing for plumbing.

86scotty

Cynic
Fwiw,
I saw one install where the heater fuel hose was simply stabbed thru the flexible hose what couples the tank to filler spout. The fuel hose simply shoved down into fueltank.
Obviously a booger job, but it worked...

I'd be a little worried about water intrusion.

exp for

The suggestion to remove the bed sounds like it may work well for the original poster. Does anyone have any further ideas? I am planning an install on a Chevy Express. I’d like to avoid the extra complexity of keeping a separate tank filled. Thanks!

javajoe79

Fabricator
The suggestion to remove the bed sounds like it may work well for the original poster. Does anyone have any further ideas? I am planning an install on a Chevy Express. I’d like to avoid the extra complexity of keeping a separate tank filled. Thanks!
You have to do the same thing except you don’t have the liberty of removing the bed for access.

javajoe79

Fabricator
When you’re dealing with a fuel tank that you can’t or don’t want to weld to, you can install a bulkhead AN fitting just about anywhere you can access the inside of. The fuel pump assembly or right next to it is usually perfect. Then run a small piece of hose or line down to within a couple inches of the bottom of the tank. That way you can’t empty the tank by running the heater. Use a dowty seal or sealing washer under the bulkhead fitting to prevent leakage.

exp for

Ok. Thanks for the advice. I was hoping for a solution that didn't involve removing the gas tank. I will start Googling the components you mentioned. I appreciate the input!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior