EricM's 2001 XJ Camping - Geocaching - Family Daily Driver

EricM

Standard American Mutt
Back in the saddle again :cool: I had a 1993 xj that we towed to Alaska behind the RV. I sold it when we got back.
jeep2.jpg

I regretted selling it. So I kept my eye out for another one. I happened to be driving a 1991 Audi Quattro and a friend showed interest in it. I told him I was looking for a Jeep again, and he offered to trade me straight up for his 2001 Cherokee Sport:
jeep.jpg

I said Sure! This is what it had done to it when I got it.

New Kuhmo Road Venture AT tires
Replaced sagging original leaf springs with "heavy duty" springs
Installed a trailer hitch
Installed a transmission cooler
Replaced both front wheel bearings
Rear Disk Brake Conversion

When I got it it had new front brakes in a box and new Monroe Gas-matic shocks in a box. I don't plan on lifting it, so I did the front brakes:
DSC03097.jpg

And then did all four shocks. I was prepared for the rear bolts to snap off (and they did) but i punched out the captured bolts and fed in new grade 8 hardware:
DSC08166.jpg

I used automatic transmission fluid on the front bolts and only broke one.

Out with the old:
DSC08171.jpg

And in with the new:
DSC08170.jpg

The front of the Jeep had some if the rubber engine protector hanging down, seen here:
DSC08179.jpg

I used some sheet metal screws to secure it back under the front fascia:
DSC08180.jpg

Now it doesn't look like it's tongue is hanging out :)

I gave it a good bath and a waxing, so this is how it sits now. A little spot if rust here and there, but over all in really good shape.
DSC08161.jpg

DSC08176.jpg

What needs to be done:
Rear windows only go down using the drivers control switches
Check engine light for "emissions charcoal canister"
Front speakers not working

Add HAM radio (after I get my license)
Roof rack / Roof top tent
more stuff

It is good to be a Jeep guy again :D

Eric

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Wow, my 96 doesn't even have half as much rust as that 2001, but that's life in the rust belt. Otherwise it is a great platform to start from, go through all the fluids and a full tune-up before you start heading out on trips.

EricM

Standard American Mutt
Changed the oil today, also changed the air filter. The transmission fluid was changed when the transmission cooler was put in last year. so that is good to go. Not sure about the transfer case though, I might do that one next week.

The Jeep also had the power steering pump (and fluid and hoses) replaced two days before I got it, so it is new with a new serpentine belt as well.

Last edited:

bldeagle10

Explorer
glad to see you on here, saw your posting on jeep forum. i would remove that side trim on the doors, and then bedline the endcaps and possibly the flares :D but thats just personal preference. i painted my endcaps and flares and im just going to end up using rustoleum spray on bedliner. cant stand the faded look. and the bed liner makes it look more rugged ;) nice xj though. what are the spec's? mines a 99 4.0 (rust free az jeep) 322,000 miles AW4 NP231 c8.25 HP D30.... and if you dont mind me asking where did you get the rear disc conversion and about how much? i know quadratec has a kit and its around 540ish

EricM

Standard American Mutt
I was thinking about painting the trim black. I may remove it all and paint from there and down the rhino liner (or the rustoleum knock off bed liner).

It is a 2001 Cherokee Sport, 4.0, AW4, NP231(I think), Chrysler 8.25 Rear, Dana 30 Front. It has 168K miles.

The rear disc conversion came off of a 1998 Grand Cherokee that was at the local Pick and Pull Auto yard. (The previous owner) got the entire rear end, hub to hub, axle, springs, everything for $200. He just moved over the parts needed for the swap and sold the rest of what was left.

rearend.jpg

The guy I got the Jeep from is an Engineer that works at the University here in town. He was also in charge of the ASE Competition Car program when he was a student, so I trust his work.

Last edited:

bldeagle10

Explorer
oh man. 200 is alot cheaper than 540. ive thought about doing the JY conversion. but the ebrake part confuses me...

if you look at the 4wd select (a.k.a. magic stick, cause it makes magic happen) it should say 2H - 4H - N - 4L. in which case its an NP231. if it says 2wd - 4part-time - 4full-time - N - 4LO then it is the NP242.

bldeagle10

Explorer
what do you plan on using the jeep for mainly? also the front speakers, you could do what i did, i took off the speakers and then followed the wires till i found the issue and spliced in a new wire. they are notorious for cracking in the door jam area.

EricM

Standard American Mutt
I will check the door jam area thanks!

It will be for family camping trips, geocaching, and eventually longer range self contained trips.

bldeagle10

Explorer
the crack in the wire is usually right around the area where the wire runs through the rubber boot that goes from the door to the interior.
i know that was kind of a stupid question seeing as its kind of explained in the title, lol, do you have any big trips planned out already?

EricM

Standard American Mutt
found the cracked wires. Right at the door hinge. I fixed the passenger side. I am using the rear speakers in the front now as the ones from the front were water damaged. I well get a new pair for the rear. Much easier to get the rears in than the fronts.

I Will fix up the driver side tomorrow.

EricM

Standard American Mutt
well I found the broken wire on the driver's side front speaker. Patched it, but still no sound, I guess I will have to chase it further.

alexfm

Explorer
well I found the broken wire on the driver's side front speaker. Patched it, but still no sound, I guess I will have to chase it further.

I've got the same problem with the speaker in the passenger side door of my XJ. I havent tried to fix it though, it seems as if a solid ********** to the door fix it. :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz