Epoxy over canvas siding?

Ferball

I was looking at using coroplast for a "skin" but I was going to apply it more as plating in impact areas and not as a sealed outer shell. Foam is water resistant so the only thing I was worrying about is impact resistance. My experiments with PFG over foam was that it certainly helped with potential puncrures, but blunt impacts still dented pretty easily.

I still have to build it before I will admit it is a good idea, but my zip tie and gorilla tape camper from last year handled a 5k cross country trip and I anticipate foam to be an upgrade from that questionable idea in camper construction.

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using Tapatalk

Reactions: WVI

rruff

Explorer
My findings with canvas and glue composite were not that impressive either. FG was way better.

Have you posted your zip tie and tape creation?

Ferball

I documented most of the build tnttt.com. It's a camper building forum with all sorts good info about diy building.

J!m

Carbon cloth is not much more than glass cloth.

I’d maybe make the frame from pvc pipe and fittings and wrap it in carbon cloth. Add foam between pipes (and spray foam inside if you like) and then glue rigid fiberglass panels inside- the white textured ones used in bathrooms you dare not touch any surface in... I use these panels inside my 110 and they look fine, keep it bright and are easy to clean.

WVI

Adventurer
Reading this thread has me wondering, cororplast covered in canvas then coated in titebond glue or Elmer's type, would that have some flexibility! I'm considering trying it for a roof liner in the van.

Ferball

Reading this thread has me wondering, cororplast covered in canvas then coated in titebond glue or Elmer's type, would that have some flexibility! I'm considering trying it for a roof liner in the van.
Biggest problem with coroplast is nothing sticks to it. Gorilla tape held decent enough, but I used to seal seams I doubt structurally it would hold long term. I doubt tight bond would hold either. Staples would attach canvas pretty nicely. That being said coroplast on it's own is weather proof, why bother with the canvas?

rruff

Explorer

Use XPS foam panels with canvas and glue. Insulation is nice! Or better yet, fiberglass and epoxy for the outer shell.

Coachgeo

Explorer
Thinking of something like this to build some removable aerodynamic items (bumper to ground/ air dam, wind director roof of cab to taller camper box on rear) just to get that extra couple mpg. Sounds reasonably cost effective to help get above existing 7-9mpg. Just need to remove when off road. example remove air dam below bumper and attach it just below windshield on blunt nose cab..... or on back of habitat box

greygoos123

Using canvas over foam and or wood does work and can be covered with either resin or paint. There was a build many moons ago on tnttt.com where the builder used resin as the glue and the final cover over camo fabric. My next build will be red canvas over foam using gripper as the glue and will be painted over with non tinted acrylic latex enamel which will give the canvas a hard shell and protect it from the elements. I do agree that fiberglass and or carbon fiber is the preferred method but working on a budget canvas and or cotton fabric with paint cant be beat.

Reactions: WVI

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles