Epoxy on shop floor. Sand or no sand?

ameliabishop

There are special additives for epoxy coats that make them nonslip.

I know it is not sand, but may be one of the shark grip things or something like that. Sand can wear out an epoxy finish faster anyway, have seen this too often.

How about just a concrete sealer, about three coats as mentioned? I have had this in my shop for fifteen years now, great wearability.

Never really loses color. One area got "dykemed" in a major spill, I used lacquer thinner and removed the coating, and re-coated the floor in that area.

Another Dyken spill occurred, this will be done again in the spring.

I honestly wonder if this would have been possible on an epoxy floor. Really do not know.

ameliabishop

There are special additives for epoxy coats that make them nonslip.

I know it is not sand, but may be one of the shark grip things or something like that. Sand can wear out an epoxy finish faster anyway, have seen this too often.

How about just a concrete sealer, about three coats as mentioned? I have had this in my shop for fifteen years now, great wearability.

Never really loses color. One area got "dykemed" in a major spill, I used lacquer thinner and removed the coating, and re-coated the floor in that area.

Another Dyken spill occurred, this will be done again in the spring.

I honestly wonder if this would have been possible on a metallic epoxy flooring tampa. Really do not know.
thanks for any help

Joe917

Explorer
Epoxy works well initially, it is prone to chipping and it is slippery, think car with snow on the tires straight though the back wall!. Penetratingly sealers will last longer, but will not resist staining as well.

94-RUNNER

Over The Hill
Saw the service manager at at the BMW dealership that used to work for slip and fall on the wet shop floor about a week after the epoxy was installed.
Shattered his elbow when he hit the floor. Two weeks later they had the same crew come back out and strip the floor and put down epoxy with some form of grit in it. Solved the slippery problem all together.
Mind you this was at least 30 years ago so I am guessing that there are far better things used these days.

bas157

I used Shark Grip on my concrete shed floor when I epoxied it. I was worried about the slipperiness. Didn't go real heavy on it, but I haven't slipped on it yet. If it was a garage, I would have used more as they would be more water from rain and snow melt.

Hnoroian

Observer
I worked at at rollerskating rink for 15 years with epoxy floors. I would only recommend adding the texture along the walkways and under the tread areas. YES! Epoxy is extremely slippery and can chip, but clean ups were very easy. Make sure that floor is spotless and prepped properly if using epoxy, Prep is everything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Btiesman