EPIRB saves the day!

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
http://www.azcentral.com/community/peoria/articles/0109gl-peorescue0112.html

Stranded Peoria couple rescued in Yavapai County
Lily Leung
The Arizona Republic
Jan. 9, 2008 09:01 AM

A Peoria couple stranded in the Yavapai County wilderness were rescued Monday after they activated a personal locater system in their vehicle, authorities said.

Ken and Quinn Golash, who are in their sixties, were found stuck near Forest Roads 711 and 132 southwest of Crown King after a night of inclement weather, said Sgt. Karl Bentz, a spokesman for the Yavapai County Sheriff's Office.

The couple was airlifted by a Department of Public Safety ranger to a Forest Patrol station and are in good condition, officials said.

Bentz said the couple exercised good judgment by activating their personal locator beacon, or PLB, which sent their coordinates out. The United States Air Force Rescue Coordination Center received the signal and immediately found the couple's location.

"The signal from the PLB proved to be very accurate and was of great assistance in locating the Golashes," Bentz said.

The Sheriff's Office urges people to prepare for the worst when traveling in the wilderness and to keep PLB registration updated.

Nice to know they work!

For those who know the area, that's on the LP\CK trail - very remote country with the exception of most weekends. They could have been trapped by rising water - there are numerous creek crossings near there.

Mark

Last edited:

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
So far, I LOVE my SPOT! Works great, and the wife enjoys knowing that I'm doin' fine.

Looks like we'll start using 'em on SAR when we don't have Radio/Cellphone reception too!!

-H-

DarkHelmet

Adventurer
+2 for the SPOT. I have one and they are great. The PLB is only really useful in a dire emergency where 911 is required. The SPOT can be used to tell loved ones that you are OK (sometimes avoiding a 911 response) as well as ask for assistance from friends (for non-emergency situations).

PLB - about $500-$650 with no annual service fees
SPOT - about $150 w/$100-$150 annual service fees

My wife really likes me having the SPOT. When I am called to SAR missions the location and duration of the mission is often unknown at the start. She likes that I have the ability to check in and let her know where I am and that I am OK.

- DH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles