EPA Diesel Engine “Delete Tuning” Crackdown...Is It Here Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

plumber mike

Adventurer
I'm pretty sure that is changing. They want to control emissions everywhere, not just on public roads. Off road is usually on public land, crown land, desert, beach, the Rubicon. About the only questionable area is competitions on private property. But everywhere else is fair game for the EPA. We all breath the same air and the air over private property is pretty mobile.
So to get one brodozer off the streets, they spent 10 mil or so pushing paper to make it happen. I wonder how many employees were involved and what they drive to work. The chainsaw used to cut those trees was probably not running a cat. The skidder and log truck are probably rolling coal. The mill probably has SOME emission regulation. The offending truck will probably be stripped and crushed since it’s no longer road worthy. I wonder if the crusher uses DEF.
So now the brodozer hoser needs a new ride. Prius would be a good choice. It’s mostly plastic so we’ll need to drill for more oil to make more plastic. The drill rig is run by the guys who all drive brodozers. They didn’t make a TV show so they still all have deleted trucks. Now we’ve got to get the oil to the plastic factory and get the plastic on the showroom floor. Push some more paper because meathead will likely need to finance now.
I sure am breathing better since they capitalized on that fellas success.
I do not for one second believe it was in the pursuit of cleaner air. His brazen antics being televised just made him a target by the people he mocked.

I’d love to see an electric repower kit for one ton trucks. Big engine bay and the ability to haul the weight of the batteries would make it a perfect repower platform. Someone needs to create something better to make people WANT to be better.

billiebob

This reminds me of doom and gloom for previous legislation like banning 2 stroke outboards, and the Mercury crying "we can't do it"..... until someone reminded them Mercury had been building 4 stroke outboards in Europe for 8 years. Or the tighter EPA standards in the 1970s and the big three, "We can't do it" then the little guy from Japan said, "No problem our CVCC engines exceed this legislation".

The industry really hates change but once it happens we get better vehicles every time. In this case, diesel either converts to Compressed Natural Gas, something third world India has already done, or we get better gas engines, or the viability, range and options to "refuel" get to the point electric vehicles become common and desired.

I don't see anyone screaming to bring back 2 stroke outboards. And I love my 4 stroke mower and snowblower. Not to mention my 4 stroke genset.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
So to get one brodozer off the streets, they spent 10 mil or so pushing paper to make it happen. I wonder how many employees were involved and what they drive to work. The chainsaw used to cut those trees was probably not running a cat. The skidder and log truck are probably rolling coal. The mill probably has SOME emission regulation. The offending truck will probably be stripped and crushed since it’s no longer road worthy. I wonder if the crusher uses DEF.
So now the brodozer hoser needs a new ride. Prius would be a good choice. It’s mostly plastic so we’ll need to drill for more oil to make more plastic. The drill rig is run by the guys who all drive brodozers. They didn’t make a TV show so they still all have deleted trucks. Now we’ve got to get the oil to the plastic factory and get the plastic on the showroom floor. Push some more paper because meathead will likely need to finance now.
I sure am breathing better since they capitalized on that fellas success.
I do not for one second believe it was in the pursuit of cleaner air. His brazen antics being televised just made him a target by the people he mocked.

I’d love to see an electric repower kit for one ton trucks. Big engine bay and the ability to haul the weight of the batteries would make it a perfect repower platform. Someone needs to create something better to make people WANT to be better.
It doesn’t really matter what you think. There are millions of people living in locations that deal with serious air quality issues that do impact daily life. The delete crowd is small yet impact a large number of people plus its illegal no arguing that.
Is there a problem with the durability and efficiency in this technology? Yes! Thats why I bought a gasser. Does diesel have a place? Hell yes.

nickw

Adventurer
People say these anecdotal "well my fleet is doing this." doesn't amount to much. Diesel rigs are still out in force hauling, towing and doing work...the demand for those kind of vehicles is still strong. Otherwise why would the OEM's be making them?
Still a demand, sure, lots of folks don't know or don't care about the lack of reliability....but you are seeing Ford take a pro-active approach with their new 7.3 gasser, it's going to pull a lot of prior diesel owners over.

Seems like all the hardcore diesel zealots these days are the bro-dozer crowd. Anybody that owns a fleet or long haul could care less what kind of engine they have as long as it makes them $$, a combo of service life, fuel usage and repair costs, whatever engine provide the best combo they'll use We are starting to see the tides change....

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Seems like all the hardcore diesel zealots these days are the bro-dozer crowd. Anybody that owns a fleet or long haul could care less what kind of engine they have as long as it makes them $$, a combo of service life, fuel usage and repair costs, whatever engine provide the best combo they'll use We are starting to see the tides change....
I don't know. I think a lot of people that tow prefer the experience of a diesel. Hauling might be a different story though?

I can understand the appeal of a diesel for towing. I am def not a 'bro'. Not sure I'd go the diesel route myself as I only tow about 10% of the time....maybe.... Just don't think the diesel would be worth the added expense for my uses.

nickw

Adventurer
I don't know. I think a lot of people that tow prefer the experience of a diesel. Hauling might be a different story though?

I can understand the appeal of a diesel for towing. I am def not a 'bro'. Not sure I'd go the diesel route myself as I only tow about 10% of the time....maybe.... Just don't think the diesel would be worth the added expense for my uses.
Peace, fair point...which is honestly the reason folks buy diesel, the 'feel' and effortlessness, which is worth something to some people, it's not true capability for the most part. But tell business owners they can a) have more $$ in their pocket and a more viable business or b) a better towing experience,...we know which way they will turn.

I had a VW TDI w/6 spd, it was great, very good experience while driving, I get it. My new Ranger is a very close 2nd, very similar effortless experience.....even though it's not much more capable than a NA engine in the same class.

I'd like to see a big block brother to the 3.5EB.....the 5.0EB "Destoroyah"....

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Peace, fair point...which is honestly the reason folks buy diesel, the 'feel' and effortlessness, which is worth something to some people, it's not true capability for the most part. But tell business owners they can a) have more $$ in their pocket and a more viable business or b) a better towing experience,...we know which way they will turn.

I had a VW TDI w/6 spd, it was great, very good experience while driving, I get it. My new Ranger is a very close 2nd, very similar effortless experience.....even though it's not much more capable than a NA engine in the same class.

I'd like to see a big block brother to the 3.5EB.....the 5.0EB "Destoroyah"....
Business owners yes. But I think a lot of the HD Diesel trucks that go to private owners are likely using them tow. To each there own. For me, I think I'd stick to gas.

Last edited:

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
This above is true. My decision making process in my business is totally different than when I bought my Cummins Ram. The Cummins is so comfortable and quiet and smooth on the highway pulling my camper. I didn’t even consider a gas truck. I like how the diesel feels like a train while pulling a load. It’s impressive every time I get in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nickw

Adventurer
Business owners yes. But I think a lot of the HD Diesel truck that go to private owners are likely using them tow. To each there own. For me, I think I'd stick to gas.
I don't know if I'd agree with that....I'd bet a very small percentage are used to tow and bet they don't get hitched up to anything besides the diagnostic machine in the shop. At the local Ford dealer most of the high end trucks are diesel, so guys have their hands tied a bit if they want a fancy truck, but still....

It would be gas 100% for me too :)

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
At the local Ford dealer most of the high end trucks are diesel, so guys have their hands tied a bit if they want a fancy truck, but still....
I don't know, F150 and Ram 1500 limited's, 1500 Denalis and High country's are pretty fancy. Well, they are to me anyway, lol

Dalko43

Explorer
Still a demand, sure, lots of folks don't know or don't care about the lack of reliability....but you are seeing Ford take a pro-active approach with their new 7.3 gasser, it's going to pull a lot of prior diesel owners over.

You're acting like the 7.3l v8 gasoline is a game-changer....it really isn't.

It offers decent torque and power with mediocre fuel economy....just like the other v8 gasoline truck engines on the market. Doubt it's going to cause any significant market trends, but you're welcome to have a theory on that.

Copperhead14

Observer
I am with Bayou Boy. I ordered and took delivery of a Ram Cummins Mega Cab 2500 in October of 2017. It has been great for towing our toy hauler. No issues with it.

twodollars

On our fleet of 35 diesels, most of them have been good for first 100 to 150k. After that replaced a lot of def tanks a d egr valves and coolers. Our guys tow 20 foot enclosed trailers weighing about 8k well over 50 percent of the time. We tried gas fords, and replaced a lot of exhaust manifolds. The gm diesels have been great trucks overall. But probably best to dump them at 250k and start over. Our target was 300k, but I think that will cost more to get to than it is worth. We track fuel and repairs for our whole fleet, but it's still tough to get that initial plan of how long to run them before selling. Definitely easy to sell a used one. But I sure wouldnt buy one with 250k on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior