EPA Diesel Engine “Delete Tuning” Crackdown...Is It Here Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Ok. I was just mentioning that it was a possibility, and folks are already doing it. I’m not sure I’d consider it if I had a loan against one of my trucks either. It’s certainly not fraud to put new parts on an old truck.

There’s no way to put 2020 parts on an old truck in any way that actually is a benefit. You’d be VIN swapping. Which is fraud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NMC_EXP

Explorer
I’ve always understood that getting a Diesel engine “EGR Delete Tune” done to your rig in places like Arizona, where we have annual vehicle emissions testing and inspections, is “problematic”...but I hadn’t read that the EPA was actually now going after diesel repairs shops for doing this wok.

But today, I stumbled across this interesting post on the Colorado Diesel Forum, indicating that that’s what’s now happening. Have any of you read/seen/heard anything about this?

It really makes me wonder if next they’ll start subpoenaing work records from these shops and then start going after and penalizing truck owners who’ve had this delete work done on their rigs!

(Post follows)
EPA Crackdown in Delete Tuning
Discussion in 'Colorado Diesel Tuning' started Sep 18, 2019.

Page 1 of 212Next >

• Burgess159Active Member

Just in case you had not heard, American Diesel Performance is no longer doing emissions delete tuning, unfortunately. Here’s their post from Facebook:

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
The long term objective is to eliminate internal combustion engines. Put all your questions in that context and things will become clear.

This is 100% about control. People are breaking the law and the EPA doesn’t like that they had no control over it. This is their way of controlling it. Nothing more.

This has nothing to do with electric cars. Other things might, but this doesn’t.

shade

The long term objective is to eliminate internal combustion engines. Put all your questions in that context and things will become clear.
As long as the need for ICEs is eliminated (more likely, greatly reduced), that's fine by me.

Until then, I don't see that happening, no matter how badly some may want it to be so, or how paranoid some may be about having their gas caps pried from their cold, dead hands. Laws can't overcome engineering limitations, no matter how much wishful thinking is employed. Otoh, I'd happily turn over my hybrid car for an EV that can replicate its functionality at a similar price.

shade

This is 100% about control. People are breaking the law and the EPA doesn’t like that they had no control over it. This is their way of controlling it. Nothing more.

This has nothing to do with electric cars. Other things might, but this doesn’t.
Well, it is the law. If people don't like it, they should try to change it, not sidestep enforcement because of how it may impact them.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Well, it is the law. If people don't like it, they should try to change it, not sidestep enforcement because of how it may impact them.

My last Diesel engine was stock and this one will be too. I get it.

plumber mike

Adventurer
There’s no way to put 2020 parts on an old truck in any way that actually is a benefit. You’d be VIN swapping. Which is fraud.

So really no different than an off road only tune, or no mud flaps where required. Illegal is illegal. How you justify it is up to you. I’m not saying do it. I’m just saying it is being done. I don’t want a 2020 truck. If I did I would buy one. But a newer cab with the double door seals....and nice seats...and big disk brakes.....and...
I could totally see upgrading a lot of things to 2020 stuff. I’ll wait for a few to get totaled first. No way I’d drop the 70-90k you were talking earlier. My 2017 Ram was 40 and that hurt enough. I won’t be deleted either. It’s just something to drive while I make a few older ones nicer.
Think about what you like in a newer vehicle vs. an older one. Now picture combining the best of both worlds. Did the guy who went to far on a restomod commit fraud? No. They just used a lot of new parts. Maybe a whole newer vehicle was sacrificed for the cause. It may not be long until you are right. Hopefully we can fight together to continue to be able to modify our vehicles. The “delete” stuff is just the tip. I do believe they’ll try and stick it the rest of the way.

To remember what the original purpose of coal rolling was.....it was not over fueling just for fun. It was a brilliant way to cool things down when making maximum power. It has its place. The track. Guys are going to figure a better cleaner way. It just hasn’t happened yet.

shade

My last Diesel engine was stock and this one will be too. I get it.
It's always possible that an aftermarket tuner will gain EPA approval. With enough on-board monitoring and intelligence, maybe a company will develop an add-on system that can stay within the emission bounds and still deliver better performance for a specific engine, as opposed to the more generic tuning OEMs need do for large numbers of vehicles.

plumber mike

Adventurer

This has everything to do with it. Might as well load the guns in the diesel truck and surrender them all at the same time.

NMC_EXP

Explorer
Is that likely to change the law, or bring a vehicle into compliance?

That was in regards to your recommendation, not in regards to regulations of which the :law" has little to do with.

Regarding the regulations, how many decimal places out for the various emissions do you go before they are safe......01%, .001%, .0001%.........000000001%?

Major reductions have been made in the last 30 years. Tailpipe emissions are damn near zero.

Just curious.

Oh, and is CO2 a pollutant in your opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94