EPA Diesel Engine “Delete Tuning” Crackdown...Is It Here Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

plumber mike

Adventurer
I was going to ask if any of you have experience with emissions compliant tuning. An extra jug or two of the urea is a small price to pay to have all the power and none of the haze. My 2011 Ram was choked up and poor fuel economy with the DPF. But my 2017 gets good mileage in comparison. The 2011 was a manual. The 2017 an auto 68rfe. If I was going to tune it, it would really only be to get the trans shifting better.

ttengineer

Adventurer
I’m pro delete.

Specifically EGR. But I’m okay with DPF and SCR deletes as well.

Now I’m not a big power tune guy. I think a stock tune is fine with a delete. The economy, efficiency, and durability gains off a delete, in my opinion make up for the increase in emissions.

Personally if I can go from 16-18 mpg up to around 22 and have a motor and it components last even 50% longer life, the lasting effects are better than than having to replace parts or a vehicle in the long run. And not just for my wallet.

But yes, rolling coal is dumb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T-Willy

These mods are illegal. They increase emissions of regulated precursors to ozone, which kills children and the elderly. It's great that agencies are finally doing their job and enforcing the law rather than forcing the public to do so with citizen suits under the Clean Air Act, like the successful litigation against law-breaking Diesel Brothers.

Last edited:

billiebob

You might think why can't I do this. And you likely could have gotten away with it but the idiots who crank up the power and spew more black smoke than a forest fire have drawn the ire of everyone. Once that becomes an issue the quick and easy solution is to just ban any mods which affect the emissions and fine everyone involved.

No different than the ban on modifying sport bike exhausts. Thank the retards running straight pipes.

Now once that law arrives, like every other law those doing the enforcement can chose to ignore it, like fender, bumper, and lighting laws. But if the daughter of the cop pulling you over is dating a guy driving a hopped up diesel.... Don't expect any favours.

billiebob

Here I was thinking "deleting" a diesel was perfectly legal in Canada. [Many thanks for the update]
Legality is the least of the issues. Both Dodge and GM delete your warranty if you delete emissions controls, and not just the power train warranty, they pull the entire warranty.

LRNAD90

Adventurer
Legality is the least of the issues. Both Dodge and GM delete your warranty if you delete emissions controls, and not just the power train warranty, they pull the entire warranty.

I'm pretty sure that is illegal, in the United States at least...

ttengineer

Adventurer

Oh no!

Seriously though, the warranty support from GM and Chrysler are jokes. Besides, in 35k miles the warranty is gone anyway. I’d rather increase the durability and practical operation of the truck than have to deal with super costly maintenance and replacement issues.

There are so many Fudds in this thread it’s not even funny.

It’s your truck. Do what you want to it. The consequences are yours alone to weigh.

Personally, I think it’s foolish not to delete if you plan on keeping the truck for 8+ years or more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billiebob

Come to Canada, the diesel warranty is fabulous up here. And very much needed for diesels. If you lost your warranty at 35K... You did something stupid, something in black and white in the warranty which told you you'd lose it. Sorry but most of my friends use new diesels for work and they swear by the warranty.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Come smog time I usually return the tune to stock for 100 miles. Passing's no problem. Driving a stock truck is what's a drag.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
This started in NY or DC can’t recall exactly about 2 yrs ago. A Judge and political peep got coal rolled by some idiot while out on a road bike ride. It resulted in a near immediate investigation into the Delete and mods market and lawsuits filed.

Since then the Feds and States have been slowly going after the shops doing it. Now I’ve heard they are targeting actual vehicle owners.

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
I'm pretty sure that is illegal, in the United States at least...
It's not illegal for the manufacturer to void the warranty if the owner of the vehicle modified it. The main point of any manufacturer's warranty is to repair defects in materials or workmanship. How is a failure due to any modifications the manufacturer's fault? It's pretty clearly written in the warranty manual that 99% of the driving public never reads anyway.

I've been in the industry for 25 years now and the ability for the manufacturer to void the warranty due to modifications hasn't changed. If anything they are getting ahead of it by giving us dealers tighter requirements and checking calibrations prior to major repairs to ensure the vehicle hasn't been tuned.

Personally I don't have an issue if a truck is tuned as long as the person is upfront about it and not expecting warranty coverage for a powertrain related issue. I'm not going to stop anybody from doing it but I've told those thinking about it what it will do to the warranty if there are issues.

luthj

Engineer In Residence

Small particulate (nearly invisible soot) gets absorbed through the lungs into the bloodstream. There it causes stroke, heart attacks, and other diseases.

Most of us wouldn't dump mercury or lead into the local water supply, so why is the air any different?

Removing the emissions gear has a very significant impact on NOx and particulate.

1576979391426.png

1576979401986.png

1576979584398.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles