Entry Door and Roof Windows

Alloy

Windows and doors always come with a trade off. It's either thermal efficiency, quality, weight or price. Although the Arctic Tern are not perfect, I still think they offer a great value.
All Glass windows require a "stepped cut" that requires a certain skill and tools. Therefore they are not for everyone! For me personally, I'm slightly concerned about the sharp 90 degree corners on most of the glass windows. Even with a relieve hole on the corners (see picture below) I have seen stress cracking in fibreglass campers (all makes and models). The Tern on the other hand have a very nice radius that pretty much avoids these possible failures.
Then there is the weight. Glass windows can weigh up to 3 times more!

Doors:
We have been searching for insulated, thermal transfer free doors for years. We even paid for molds and a small production run with a supplier in Russia. Silly Covid wiped them out and we can't get them anymore. There are several in circulation on Expo trucks including our personal vehicle and they performed outstandingly well. No condensation!
In any case, I have one more kicking around if you are interested.

Can you fit a screen door to this?

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Thanks Andreas, while trying to work out how to deal with the issue of the filler for the replacement roof hatch I sort of came up with an idea. I think ideally these hatches would look the best if the screens were not inset mounted. By any chance would you have some bits of the fiberglass skins (either still on the foam or not) that you could sell me? If I were to make a 58mm tall rectangular frame (so roughly 700mm on 2 sides and 500mm for the other 2) with using the fiberglass I could butt it up against the window and then have it flush with the bottom of the roof panel. I would still need to work out a little trim but Heather really likes having the lights in the hatches so I need to work that out anyway.

And you are correct about the improve/maintain comment. We have decided our entry ladder is not the best for company. Plus using the step ladder as the first step has some drawbacks (hard to keep clean for storage and it takes up space in the gear locker). So I am in the process of a redesign, with any luck that project will happen at the same time as the hatches.

I can certainly get you a piece of FRP skin. Feel free to send me an email with the dimensions and shipping address.
Cheers

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
We took the plunge and ordered a couple of replacement roof windows from WideBird in the Netherlands. I chose them because they manufacture a hatch that will drop right in the same cutout as the Tern roof window. Plus they offered a powder coated trim ring all in RAL 9016. Add in roller blinds and screens, 4 point locks and double pane glass. The frames are powder coated aluminum (RAL 9016) and have thermal breaks. Unfortunately one was damaged by UPS and I am awaiting a replacement, though it should be shipping out on Friday.

Since I bought these site unseen I was only hoping they would be high quality, and my hopes we surpassed! These windows are downright beautifully made and we can't wait to get them installed. We are anxiously looking for some warmer weather here in Idaho to install them so the Sika 252 can cure. Probably will have to build a small tent on the roof to keep the temps up. As you can see in the reflection my sister inlaw's cat Pumpkin is helping out.

PXL_20220329_011051858.jpg

Although I don't need anymore projects right now I sure would like to see their entry door in person. If it is as good as this roof window I would be very tempted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior