Engle fridge users?

bovw

Explorer
I have been considering getting one. What are the pro's and con's, any better options?

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Wil did a great review here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/equipment/equipment_reviews/fridge/engel/index.php Highly suggest reading it.

If I were to put together a really fast list based on my personal experience, it would probably look like this:

Pro:

Efficient use of power
Cools and freezes very well
Strong construction
Proven through years of use and millions of miles
Almost silent operation
Strong enough to stand on
Lots of accessories available.

Con:

Expensive
Heavy - very heavy when loaded
They are fairly tall (at least the 45 is IMO)
Needs power and with some systems that means additional batteries to accomidate 24hr operation
Why oh why doesn't it come standard with a hinge lock!
Still don't know why there are cup holder indents on the lid

They are a luxury item for many people, but personally I am happy to own one.

Pete

spressomon

Expedition Leader
I have had my Waeco fridge/freeze for the past 2+ years. Absolutely love this DC/AC fridge/freezer. Others that I consulted with before taking the $$$ leap said it would become my favorite accessory...and they were right! No more soggy anything in the cooler; I keep ice for cocktails along with keeping everything else chilled.

Adding to mountainpete's list of pros/cons:

All of these type of units, regardless of brand (AFAIK), expel warm/hot air from the compressor..which normally isn't an issue...but on a hot day (90 degrees +) it adds to the A/C needs along with adding considerable heat to the inside of the rig when left/parked with the windows up unattended.

overlander

Expedition Leader
A couple of those solar powered cabin fans in the roof, to include right above the fridge parking spot should fix that for good! I can't wait to drill!:Mechanic:

spressomon

Expedition Leader
overlander said:
A couple of those solar powered cabin fans in the roof, to include right above the fridge parking spot should fix that for good! I can't wait to drill!:Mechanic:

U first...then post up what NOT to do to make it work leakfree :)

Dave

Explorer
I've only had mine for a week and a half, but I think Pete pretty much nailed it. One thing I really like about it is the ability to pack it "the night before". I can load it up the night before we leave for a trip and slide it into the rig along with the rest of the gear so that we are truly ready to wake up and go. Before we would always wait until the last minute to load the cooler and it seemed like we had to really have the coolers in the truck before we could load the rest of our gear.

I would suggest mocking up a cardboard box to match the dimensions for whichever model you are considering and experiment with mounting locations. I measured a dozen times before I even ordered mine, but never mocked up a dummy box. This will also help you figure out how much you can open the lid and if you can remove the basket without removing the fridge. By pulling the basket (loaded) you can reduce the weight of the cooler if you need to take it out of the vehicle for some reason.

Where I ended up mounting mine, it is a little difficult to see all the way into the bottom due to the height of the fridge combined with the height of the mounting location (truck bed). Sliding it out to the tail gate fixes that, but the first time I took it out for a trip, it rained all damn weekend!

The hinge lock is a must IMO. I could not believe how easily the lid slides off the hinges without it. For the cost of these fridges, I was a little disappointed that Engel makes the $5 hinge lock optional. For my mounting location, the transit bag was also a must since it will get dirty and see direct sunlight in the bed of the truck. Also, the extra baskets that Sierra Expeditions has on sale is something I plan on ordering to help keep things organized.

overlander said:

This is definitely something on my "one of these days" list for my truck shell. I set a thermometer in my truck bed on Wednesday and the ambient temp. topped out at 117 F in direct sunlight! The Engel held steady at 34-35 F on the 1.5 setting, but it was pretty much running non-stop.

Last edited:

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
spressomon said:
U first...then post up what NOT to do to make it work leakfree :)
He has a Land Rover... there is no such thing as a "leak free" Land Rover!:shakin: See sig line to understand the sarcasm...:cow:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I have only had mine a week now mounted in the back of my FJC...but what I can't figure out is how I lived without it while running around in the !112deg Phoenix heat...
My wife seriously keeps looking at it and mumbling about getting groceries without having to run home! I hope that just means she wants to borrow my rig to go shopping and not try to put it in her Honda Pilot or I will never get it back.
Yeah they are pricey but when you look at the lifespan the Aussies get out of them under harsh conditions I factor it out over years of melted ice, soggy food, leaking coolers and stopping for more ice along a trip....price less of an issue after all.
You can always ask if anyone local to you has 1 then go on a camping trip or run with them to check it out...if they are a buddy they might even loan it to you!
enjoy
1leglance

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
I just finished a comprehensive test and review of five mid-size fridges (45qt +/-) that will be published in the summer issue of Overland Journal (coming out later this month). :box: Lots of pics, specs and info.

Engel is one of them :)

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
There are two pieces of camping equipment that you will never regret buying;
12 volt compressor fridge
Roof Top Tent

Once you have tried them you will never go back to the dark side.

bovw

Explorer
BajaTaco said:
I just finished a comprehensive test and review of five mid-size fridges (45qt +/-) that will be published in the summer issue of Overland Journal (coming out later this month). :box: Lots of pics, specs and info.

Engel is one of them :)
I'll look forward to that.

Thanks for all the input gentlemen.

LJRockstar

Adventurer
I've had mine for almost 4 months now, It hasn't come out of the truck yet! Definitely one of the best things I've gotten for the rig. It stays plugged in all the time, I have only had it run the battery down once, I went away for vacation for 4 day's, and on the 5th day I went to drive the rig the battery was too low to crank, but there was enough juice to keep my poland spring cold! quick fix, switch to the second battery and away we go. I got the slide lock nd mounted it to the floor of my LJ right behind the passenger seat with the latch facing forward. it works very well there. I can reach for a drink from the drivers seat, and when In camp I take the window off on the passenger side and have PLENTY of access to it.

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
I like my Engle 35 with TwoZone on top, works so well in the Adventure Trailer that I am considering buying a second one for the new Jeep. Dump the ice and get the Engle. Well worth the money. On a side note I purchased the 35 before I had the Chaser and it was purchased because it fit under the bed rail of the Jeep. When I moved it to the Chaser I had a lot of wasted space above it so I added the TwoZone. If I had to do it over I would have just purchased an Engle 45. The temp difference between the bottom of the Engle and the top is 20 degree's. Hope this helps.

Here is the Engle 35, TwoZone, and Slide lock mounted inside the Chaser #15
47b7db37b3127cce844a5f7119d800000026108EatWzFu0cO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles