Engine RPM consisent buzzing on 2M radio

Hi all,

I have a Yaesu brand 2M mobile station that I used in a Toyota tacoma for 8 years without any issues. Recently I moved the unit and antenna to a Land Cruiser FZJ80 and have a buzzing sound that follows the engine RPM (i.e. if the engine RPM goers up so does the buzzing noise.) The only part that has changed between the installation in the Tacoma and in the FZJ80 is the coax cable was replaced.

Thoughts/suggestions on how to deal with this buzzing sound?

Thank you,

Modeler

W1DCS
Sounds like it could be alternator noise. Are your power wires attached directly to the battery? That should alleviate most all of it.

GlennA

Adventurer
If your ground is good and your + is connected directly to the battery, it may be time for an RFI filter. I've had good luck using ferrite beads.

Does the noise also come through the "infotainment " system?

If you don't have solid state ignition, you might try changing the condenser. If the sound is a whine, it could be the alternator. An easy way to check is by unplugging the alternator and starting the engine. If the noise ceases when the alternator is disconnected, ferrite beads on the charging line will probably take care of it.

Last edited:
If your ground is good and your + is connected directly to the battery, it may be time for an RFI filter. I've had good luck using ferrite beads.

Does the noise also come through the "infotainment " system?

If you don't have solid state ignition, you might try changing the condenser. If the sound is a whine, it could be the alternator. An easy way to check is by unplugging the alternator and starting the engine. If the noise ceases when the alternator is disconnected, ferrite beads on the charging line will probably take care of it.

Ah a ferrite choke. That is an idea. Where do you suggest I position it on the positive + wire? Near the radio unit I assume?

Thanks!

Spark plugs are different between the 2 vehicles. They made not be resister plugs. Could also be noise from the fuel injectors, the ferrite chokes will probably clean that up.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
When you say Coax Cable was replaced… did that involve cutting a custom length or installing a custom termination on either end? It is possible that the shield connection is messed up.

When you say Coax Cable was replaced… did that involve cutting a custom length or installing a custom termination on either end? It is possible that the shield connection is messed up.

Sorry, I mixed "coax cable" with "power cable" which is incorrect. When I write coax cable I am referring to the cab;e from the radio to the antenna.

KENPERK

had a similar problem...interference on my handheld ft60 in my jeep....turned out the car charger for my gps was cheap,,,found one
with an FCC approval and problem went away

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles