Engine light question

MikeCG

Adventurer
Just picked up a 2000 E-350 7.3l diesel. It has a check engine light. Hooked up the OBDII reader, but it shows no codes. Any idea what could be going on?

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
How's it running?

I'd clear the code and see if it comes back (after checking oil & pressure, water, battery, etc).

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
Thats odd. May need a better scanner like Auto Ingenuity.

Agreed, most scanners can't read PSD specific codes, injector buzz test, key on engine off (KOEO) checks, Injector Driver Module (IDM), etc.
If you have a 7.3L PSD, Auto Enginuity is worth every penny. I got mine from Riff Raff Diesel. Paid for itself the first time I used it to track down a no-start.

MikeCG

Adventurer
How's it running?

I'd clear the code and see if it comes back (after checking oil & pressure, water, battery, etc).

Tried clearing, didn't change anything (though if it's wrong type of reader, it probably won't do the reset either.) batteries new. Guess I'll swing by auto store and see if they have a better reader.

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
Autoparts store probably won't have a reader that can read and clear PSD specific codes. I have a pretty nice Innova $300 scanner from O'Reillys that won't read the PSD. Auto Enginuity with the Ford expansion pack can do everything the Innova scanner can do, and more. The only downside is you need a laptop to run it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online