Engine Flush or Not?

Suty

Adventurer
Alright Y'all, Heres the question . I was getting ready to change my Oil as soon as my Fumoto Valve arrives. I have about 73000 on her , and I saw some varnishy oily stuff through the oil filler hole the other day. I was going to put Mobile 1 back in her and was wondering if using a Engine Flush might help with any build up. You pour it in and idle it for 5 minutes , drain and refill with fresh oil. Anyone done this , if so did it work , was it worth it, and any recommendations ? Thanks for the help. Tu Compadres, Suty

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
From my experience, that type of product is not worth the money. I have never found a product that really works.

The only thing I would consider is this: http://auto-rx.com/ I have been impressed with some results I have seen.

Peter

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
I agree the cleaners are shown to do more harm then good. I would say change the oil/filter then change again after say 500 miles. Often times it can build up just from the long periods we go between oil changes.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Have you thought about SeaFoam? I have heard good things about this stuff, and am going to use it on the Trooper this month.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
I use the 25,000 mile amsoil oil in my Taco. I also used the engine flush when switching from Mobil 1 to amsoil. I used the amsoil flush, but I am sure that an engine flush would do you some good, if recomended by the oil manufacturer. If you plan on staying with Mobil 1, I would listen to Nullifier's advice he posted. There is a website that shows the affects the Oil additives and cleaners have on the viscosity of the oil. I'll post the site if I come across it again.

Hope that helps a bit.

Wil

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
I am reluctant to do an engine flush. When I hear people saying they have 200,000 or 300,000 or more miles on their Toyotas, and all they did was change the oil and scheduled maintenance, that seems like a sound plan to me. I'd be curious to hear from people like Jonathan Hanson and others who have nearly 300,000 miles or more on their vehicles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94