Ends of the Earth Expedition: Central America

PTY

Wish you all the best and I'm looking forward reading more about your travels.

Saludos!

Last edited:

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
First Dirt?

I'm sorry, but you actually look for dirt? I look for pavement! (Never find any, though.)

Have a great trip!

JRhetts

Adventurer
Post 33 - John & Tam

We have now finished a medical volunteering stint in Guatemala and are VERY much looking forward to joining Scott & Co in the Yucatan for the rest of the EOTE-2 adventure.

John & Tam

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Have fun and be safe. I'm a bit nervouse knowing two jeeps that I worked on are traveling that far!!! They better not break down!

Haha! :victory:

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Awesome Scott glad you guys are on your way. Lake Arenal in C.R. is a nice place. I will dig through my trip nots and see if I jotted down the restaurant we went to which has a great night view of the volcano. If it is clear you can see the lava. Also by that time you need to go to the hot springs resort at the base of the volcano. It was a rough road when we were there but steph will have earned a nice spa day by that point right!

Scott Brady

Founder
Mexico City

Our trip took quite an adventurous turn today as we were hussled by a traffic cop comandante today, as we did our best to navigate the maze of roads that is Mexico City. Facing obviously false charges and vehicle impoundment, we paid a $2,000 peso "fine" (which started at $9,000 pesos), and were on our way. It took us nearly 3 hours to cross the northern part of the city, never actually entering the city center. It was an intense driving experience, especially WHILE ALSO navigating.

We spent the last few days in Guanajuato, and it is now my new favorite city in Mexico. I will return there and rent an apartment in the future. It is a stunning and very European feeling city, with fantastic history and more than a few interesting surprises.

guanajuato%20(1).jpg

guanajuato.jpg

The trip has been a wonderful experience so far, and today, I travelled past my furthest point south (Maui being the furthest south before today). It has been difficult to travel at this pace and keep up with writing. I had the benefit of two drivers on the Arctic trip. :smiley_drive:

We head to the Gulf of Mexico tomorrow.

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Our trip took quite an adventurous turn today as we were hussled by a traffic cop comandante today, as we did our best to navigate the maze of roads that is Mexico City. Facing obviously false charges and vehicle impoundment, we paid a $2,000 peso "fine" (which started at $9,000 pesos), and were on our way.

Think they had dollar signs in their eyes at the sight of the Earth Roamer??Bummer, glad to hear you are still in great spirits.

Best of luck to you guys and safe travels!

Louis

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Guanajuato is AMAZING indeed. I was there a few years ago on my KLX650...riding a bike in the underground tunnels is quite something. There's always some sort of water dripping, even when it's not raining outside...i'll let you guess....

My friend's wife is from there. I always wanted to go back but never had the chance yet.

haven

Expedition Leader
Guanajuato was a mining town on the Camino Real de Tierra Adentro, the original road from Mexico City to Santa Fe. During the 1600s and 1700s, the silver mines of Guanajuato were among the most productive in the world. The wealth from the mines allowed the town to flourish, accounting for its fabulous architecture. The city is now a UN world heritage site.

The crew of the TV show, "The Desert Speaks," visited Guanajuato while preparing the episode entitled "Origins of a Royal Road" (Season 14, Episode 11). The series is shown periodically on PBS stations and the Discovery channel.

See the journal about this episode of the show here
http://thedesertspeaks.org/journal.cfm?displayshow=1412

Scott Brady

Founder
This morning I stood on top of the Pyramid of the Sun. Incredible!

We are sitting in traffic on MEX 150. There is a big accident ahead (so we have heard). We are trying to make a great little remote campsite on Lake Catemaco.

Then on to the Lulton Caves, which should be excellent.

Closing in on the jungles!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94