End of the road...?

Waltzing Matilda

Adventurer
Has anyone else been in this situation:
I thought it was time to say goodbye to my trusty, well-travelled Mazda truck, and get a smaller, more fuel efficient Outback.

Now I'm having doubts.

We've had our share of adventures- from hot, dry Death Valley to hot, humid Cabo Pulmo in Baja Sur Mexico, with plenty of Baja whale watching expeditions in-between. Throughout it all "Waltzing Matilda" - a Mazda B4000 with a Callen camper shell- has served me well- and now I'm finding it hard to let her go.

Nothing especially fancy about this truck. Strong rebuilt 4L V6. Factory tow package. I haven't added any specialized bumpers or even a roof rack.
The first owner installed a lift kit (more for streets than offroad) and custom wheels (again- more for show than offroad).
I recently replaced all 4 BFG/TA's- they only have 1K on them.

Overall: It's been amazingly durable and reliable little truck. Survived being rear-ended on a muddy highway in Mexico with barely a scratch (the other car was totaled), and the Callen carries a $#1t-load of gear safely out of sight, and then provides a warm & comfy space to sleep in when the winds are blowing off the Pacific...

I've actually had people come up and ask if it's for sale- so I'm thinking it won't be hard to find a buyer...
But posting a "for sale" notice made me feel like I'm breaking up with someone I care about!

I'm thinking of heading south for some end-of-the-season Baja whale watching this weekend (it's our school's spring recess)- one last fling.
Then... we'll see.

Waltzing Matilda

Adventurer
Love the simplicity of the camper and the "build" in general. My vote is to keep it.

Agreed! It has been a very simple, functional design- and fun to drive into Baja with friends the last several years.

But after this morning (see next post) I'm feeling better today about finding it a new home, and already have some responses to a preliminary "for sale" post I shared with friends.

Waltzing Matilda

Adventurer
Update:
As much as I love this truck, I just don't drive it much these days, which triggers a domino effect: Since I wasn't driving it regularly- the battery died... I spent time/money trying to diagnose the problem (if it was more than not driving it): nothing found. So I had a new battery installed 6 months ago- and just realized the post that clamps it in place was not replaced, so the new battery has been rattling around.... and now it's dead again, and apparently not charging.

IOW: older car issues, requiring more time/attention than I have at the moment, so maybe it's time for the legendary Subaru reliability.

I just left the truck with my mechanic to be inspected, then I'll start determining how much to ask for it.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Has anyone else been in this situation:
I thought it was time to say goodbye to my trusty, well-travelled Mazda truck, and get a smaller, more fuel efficient Outback.

Now I'm having doubts.

We've had our share of adventures- from hot, dry Death Valley to hot, humid Cabo Pulmo in Baja Sur Mexico, with plenty of Baja whale watching expeditions in-between. Throughout it all "Waltzing Matilda" - a Mazda B4000 with a Callen camper shell- has served me well- and now I'm finding it hard to let her go.

Nothing especially fancy about this truck. Strong rebuilt 4L V6. Factory tow package. I haven't added any specialized bumpers or even a roof rack.
The first owner installed a lift kit (more for streets than offroad) and custom wheels (again- more for show than offroad).
I recently replaced all 4 BFG/TA's- they only have 1K on them.

Overall: It's been amazingly durable and reliable little truck. Survived being rear-ended on a muddy highway in Mexico with barely a scratch (the other car was totaled), and the Callen carries a $#1t-load of gear safely out of sight, and then provides a warm & comfy space to sleep in when the winds are blowing off the Pacific...

I've actually had people come up and ask if it's for sale- so I'm thinking it won't be hard to find a buyer...
But posting a "for sale" notice made me feel like I'm breaking up with someone I care about!

I'm thinking of heading south for some end-of-the-season Baja whale watching this weekend (it's our school's spring recess)- one last fling.
Then... we'll see.

View attachment 505856View attachment 505858View attachment 505859
I've seen your truck in Clairemont I believe. Nice balanced rig.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
A question lots of us face. My 2004 2500 has 250k miles on it. Its Paid for, does all I need, and set up how i like it. Even if i had to put some money into it every year still cheaper then a new rig. Maybe just get an estimate to have someone, or yourself go through it and bring is up to snuff.

But if its more pain, then pleasure....well i think you have your answer.

bhambaker

I've bought and sold many vehicles... and the next one never does 'everything' i need. I regret selling my first vehicle, a '77 VW Buss! Wish I still drove it today.

I have a buddy who has driven the same 1990s Jeep Cherokee since college (20yrs) and won't sell it.... says there's no way to justify buying something else just to 'save' on gas mileage or get something prettier. He's saved MASSIVE amounts of money driving that same old Jeep. The environmentalists out there all want to sell their vehicles and buy a Tesla, so they can 'feel' good about not buying a tank of gas. Don't want to consider the 'carbon' cost of producing that new vehicle in the first place.

Subaru's are not faultless... They are not as good in true 4x4 action. I have both a suby (wifes) and a f350 (mine)... we take one depending on the task at hand.

I'd encourage you to keep yours; invest a few hundred in some maintenance and drive it. Looks like a great adventure rig. Buy a bike and ride more; we all need to pedal more than drive anyways!!!

Cheers,

~j

Ari3sgr3gg0

I also vote for keeping it, a couple hundred invested into maintenance is cheaper than even the down payment needed for another car. Besides there's no way a Subaru is hauling nearly as much as that little truck can. Also more expensive insurance is needed with a new car as well. Take a weekend and really go over the systems in the truck and canopy, replace what's needed and call it good. The 08 Forester when loaded down with camp gear really feels cramped, the ground clearance goes way down and the gas mileage takes a nose dive. A Subaru does great for short trips but really hits its limits if you're wanting to be out for a whole Spring Break or so

Waltzing Matilda

Adventurer
I've bought and sold many vehicles... and the next one never does 'everything' i need. I regret selling my first vehicle, a '77 VW Buss! Wish I still drove it today.

I understand the VW bus regrets. I've owned 2 '71 Westies. One had serious flaws, and eventually was parted out. The other was a dream: bought from the 1st owners (teachers) who picked it up brand new at the factory in Germany, drove it around Europe, then shipped it back to San Diego. They only used it on their vacations to go to Yosemite etc.

I bought it, drove to Tahoe, and promptly hit a deer on opening day of hunting season... it kept going but was salvaged by the insurance company. Still drove like a champ all over NorCal that summer.

Ahh.. early overlander memories...

Waltzing Matilda

Adventurer

I have a buddy who has driven the same 1990s Jeep Cherokee since college (20yrs) and won't sell it.... says there's no way to justify buying something else just to 'save' on gas mileage or get something prettier. He's saved MASSIVE amounts of money driving that same old Jeep. The environmentalists out there all want to sell their vehicles and buy a Tesla, so they can 'feel' good about not buying a tank of gas. Don't want to consider the 'carbon' cost of producing that new vehicle in the first place.

Subaru's are not faultless... They are not as good in true 4x4 action. I have both a suby (wifes) and a f350 (mine)... we take one depending on the task at hand.

I'd encourage you to keep yours; invest a few hundred in some maintenance and drive it. Looks like a great adventure rig. Buy a bike and ride more; we all need to pedal more than drive anyways!!!

Cheers,

~j
TBH- it's not just mileage. I'd like something with a less bumpy ride, lower to the ground, with a few more comfort & safety features.
And I may be doing less camping and more glamping as retirement approaches.

Ideally: I want a fun-ctional car that will last me 20 years and be flexible on and offroad.

The truck is already 20 years old, so not sure it will be a good candidate.

Waltzing Matilda

Adventurer
Thanks everyone! You (and one of my students who is a mechanic) talked me out of selling the truck.

Going to Plan B: say goodbye to the Honda hybrid, make the Outback my DD, and keep the truck around for a while longer.

Waltzing Matilda

Adventurer
Make that Plan C:: After reviewing the contract (and before taking possession of the car) I cancelled the contract.
I'm still considering a Subie purchase- but will continue my research.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles