End All/Be All Wood-like flooring for Truck Camper?

deminimis

Explorer
Hey kids. I want a durable floor with a real wood/bamboo appearance. However, due to extremes in temperature, humidity, so forth, coming up with a solution has proved daunting. I definitely do not want a floating floor. The more waterproof the better. That had me looking at some vinyl plank options (glue down). However, it seems temp variations of the type the camper will see knocks even that out of contention. Love to hear about failures and successes you've had with hardwood/bamboo, engineered, vinyl and any other wood-ish like products that you tried. I do not want to stay with the trailer park cheapie kitchen looking vinyl that came with my camper (and many others). If gracious enough to respond, please state the type of use your camper sees, or it's all for naught. Wish to keep added weight to a minimum, to make the task even harder. Thanks!

PS: I'm also wondering if using cabinet grade plywood, ripped into strips, might be a solution. I've seen images of floors done with way and although there's definitely some effort involved, they can look pretty cool. Being able to go thin, say .25", would be a bonus in the weight saving area. Humm....

Last edited:

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
I've seen a lot of new RVs with faux wood vinyl that looks fantastic. Looks like real wood until you bend down and rub your hand on it. Maybe call an RV service center and see what brands they carry.

Real wood is going to be a nightmare with expansion and contraction. It's going to buckle like crazy.

deminimis

Explorer
Thank you sir. I actually read that one, but they installed it floating. I did find an Armstrong product that is glued down. Still, it requires temps no lower that 55 degrees. There are marine products out there, but damn they are pricey, ie. teak flooring panels (plus shipping).

Darwin

Explorer
What about going with a woven vinyl floor like is used in current airstreams and earth roamers?

s.e.charles

no seams will be your friend long after you've gotten past the esthetic of "real wood". even the link in post #3 shows raised seams/ joints. think how your rig will smell after Fido has a mistake and no one finds it for a day or three.

deminimis

Explorer
I'm not interested in real wood (I should say solid wood). As far as woven vinyl, I had that in our Sportsmobile. Hated it. Best floor we had was in our Westy. PO installed Pergo. It was just a little area, and looked extrememly fake, but man that held up to some abuse. Not an option for the camper.

This is what I want (ticks all the boxes), but can't afford (I think this one was $1200/sheet...$60/sqft):

Attachments

• Teak Decking.jpg
    Teak Decking.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 54

bahndo

Supporting Sponsor: Bahn Camper Works
Checkout lonseal products. They have some good looking and extremely durable "plank" looking vinyl options. Not super cheap as I recall but nothing worth a damn seems to be these days...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

deminimis

Explorer
Bam! There it is. Thanks Ryan. It's not the foam synthetic teak that is easy to clean on a boat, but would be impossible inside a camper. This is indoor and protected outdoor. You're not kidding on the price, but it's not outrageous. Thanks!

Speaking of which, you going to go out with us this Summer? I think I have the hookup for a wake foil.

Attachments

• Lonseal.jpg
    Lonseal.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 36

lucilius

Check out USfloors Coretec plus/pro plus. With moderate DIY capabilities, marine grade sealant/adhesive and a table saw with a good blade (thin kerf, carbide tip or disable makes a good performance blade for laminate, the fmr works better for ripping) on your table saw, it's pretty straightforward to get a super durable floor and/or wall anywhere you need it. Cork underlayer fights mold, insulates temp and deadens sound and the surface would be hard to damage without dedicated effort. I've had mine for a few years, in a closet/bathroom/shower, large temp variations between winter/summer, plenty of rough roads and no creaks, leaks or other dramas, still looks flawless. I left a 1/4" gap wherever there was a corner/plane change or interface with different material and filled with adhesive rubber strip, marine sealant and then a flexible siliconized grout (for appearance). The only con is that it's not particularly lightweight.

bahndo

Supporting Sponsor: Bahn Camper Works
Bam! There it is. Thanks Ryan. It's not the foam synthetic teak that is easy to clean on a boat, but would be impossible inside a camper. This is indoor and protected outdoor. You're not kidding on the price, but it's not outrageous. Thanks!

Speaking of which, you going to go out with us this Summer? I think I have the hookup for a wake foil.
No problem! Yes, take me foiling, I've done it a few times but could always use more practice, give a call or text when you're in the hood, would love to grab a beer with you Wade.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I just get some indoor/ outdoor carpeting. Screw it down at the edges and remove it when it gets too dirty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles