Enclosed Trailer 5x8 and mounting a roof top tent

thetrailkat

Very new to this. I sold my 30' motorhome and purchased a small 5x8 enclosed trailer with the intention of converting it for off the grid camping. I was wondering if I need to do any additional reinforcement prior to mounting my RTT.

Attachments

• IMG_5313.jpg
    IMG_5313.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5311.jpg
    IMG_5311.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 28

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
Hard to advise without seeing the structure inside., here is the rule of thumb.

Best practice is to transfer the weight of the rack mounts to the sides not the roof. Usually the most strength is at the roof curve or right at the frame.

The simplest way into mount the rack is with an "artificial" rain gutter, a steel shape that you through bolt. You will see them on a lot of pickup shells, especially the really old ones. Thule, Yakima, all the rack mfgs have them. You are able to use old fashioned "rain gutter' feet and bars, easy to mount and remove to store your tent someplace safe when you aren't using it. Just looked them up, can't believe how expensive they are now - Thule "artificial" raingutter mounts

thetrailkat

Hard to advise without seeing the structure inside., here is the rule of thumb.

Best practice is to transfer the weight of the rack mounts to the sides not the roof. Usually the most strength is at the roof curve or right at the frame.

The simplest way into mount the rack is with an "artificial" rain gutter, a steel shape that you through bolt. You will see them on a lot of pickup shells, especially the really old ones. Thule, Yakima, all the rack mfgs have them. You are able to use old fashioned "rain gutter' feet and bars, easy to mount and remove to store your tent someplace safe when you aren't using it. Just looked them up, can't believe how expensive they are now - Thule "artificial" raingutter mounts

How expensive everything is now... just crazy. I spent a long while looking and pricing out these trailers and was lucky to snag the one at did at the price of $3,750!!

BBsound

Adventurer
Look at how ladder racks are designed to attach to these types of trailers.
they screw into the sidewall structure of the trailer then extend upwards over the height of the roof.

Laps

I'm sure you already considered this option, but am curious as to why not just build out the interior of the trailer?

Reactions: plh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles