Enclosed off road Trailer to fit a Dirt Bike

Torsion axles, full aluminum welded frame.. very well built and handles trails quite well. Ive got the bigger brother to this that can fit a full four seater side by side.

A trailer as narrow as you want is going to be a custom job, but I think your overthinking that part.. as long as its under 8ft wide it'll do most single track trails fine.. especially if its just poking fenders out that far and box is only 5-6ft.. if you make em too narrow and tall they wont be stable.
Forgot about this thread. I'm looking again at this trailer. Really hard to find any reviews on how well it's holding up and I'm especially concerned with how well the axles hold up.

I will be going many hundreds/thousands of miles on likely pretty crappy road so this is something I need to pay attention to.

dreadlocks

3500lb Dexter Torsion axles is what they got.. I think they are the bees knees, I love gliding down rough roads late at night without making a peep, creep up on all kinda wildlife I didnt pulling a leaf trailer down em.. Ive left drinks on the counter to find em not moved after going down a bunch of dirt roads and a ton of highways but I think thats more due to the tandem setup since its not pivoting on my hitch.

Dexter supplies the US Military, IIRC they use dexters over leafs standard.. You'll find a bunch of mixed opinions about torsions, and I was a lil weary at first.. but now that Ive had em a few years I wish I'd of put em on my previous rigs too..

Someone here had Intech flyer that did huge expo on nothing but backroads and roads were so bad his air conditioner broke its mounts off and he hadda drive home with it strapped down.. but axles and structure held up perfectly he replaced it with another max vent (its pre-wired for 12v) so it wouldn't happen again..

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Some of that ''payload capacity'' is on the trailers tongue. That's how the axle # can be lower. That trailer should have more than 100# tongue weight.

Make sure rhe width of your trailer is easy to see in your side mirrors. Backing up skinny trailers sucks. I haul jetski's on tandem trailers, even if I'm only towing one.

3500lb Dexter Torsion axles is what they got.. I think they are the bees knees, I love gliding down rough roads late at night without making a peep, creep up on all kinda wildlife I didnt pulling a leaf trailer down em.. Ive left drinks on the counter to find em not moved after going down a bunch of dirt roads and a ton of highways but I think thats more due to the tandem setup since its not pivoting on my hitch.

Dexter supplies the US Military, IIRC they use dexters over leafs standard.. You'll find a bunch of mixed opinions about torsions, and I was a lil weary at first.. but now that Ive had em a few years I wish I'd of put em on my previous rigs too..

Someone here had Intech flyer that did huge expo on nothing but backroads and roads were so bad his air conditioner broke its mounts off and he hadda drive home with it strapped down.. but axles and structure held up perfectly he replaced it with another max vent (its pre-wired for 12v) so it wouldn't happen again..
Good to hear

I ended up building one using my dads old trailer. I used a wood frame and it seems to be built pretty stout. I know this because I lifted it off the trailer to have the frame mod'd and I stupidly dropped it from about 2 foot height with no damage and nothing moved structurally. Couldn't believe it.

I kept the same leaf spring setup but replaced them and bought a spare. I took it on several test trips, the first one unloaded, the next one with everything but another anticipated 350lbs of gear. Both trips it works amazing. The loaded trip had me going up a nasty hill, then a horrible rock stepped down hill. The only damage was a bent license plate.

Leaf spring ride looked ok to me, and I took the trails that werent Forest service graded in the least. It was pretty nasty.

Not thrilled with a wood structure for longevity but it only has to last for two years or so. Plus if I damage it I go to home depot for repairs.

The setup has brakes, it's insulated, no windows but a rear ramp for the dirt bike and a large side door to quickly have access. I bought a bunch of L brackets from rotopax and mounted them on the outside trailer frame. I have 18g gas capacity and 4 gallons of water.

I'm on the midst of fine tuning it with small local campouts. I need to affix more out side bins for storage yet and test my awning setup. I order a brake controller for the jeep and that pretty much is it.

I tried to load pictures but it says the file is too big or some such message.

I want to thank those for the advice cause their were some really good options given. Not so sure I did the right thing building my own. It took a long time to do and when you consider the time is money thing buying one is likely a better deal. Still it's kind of cool having a one of a kind deal. Plus in 3 years the wife retires and wants to travel with me in something a little more comfortable, so another trailer is in my future and here we go again. lol

Last edited:

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Glad you're happy with it, that's all that matters. Here is an example I had built and modified to fit our needs for rough road travel:

Vid here: YouTubes

IMG_20190731_193038-sm.jpg

wow, you have some off the charts skills. Very nice!

I have recently installed my brake controller and while the jeep handles braking fine with the trailer, with the brake controller it's amazing.
I put in a truck bed rubber mat on the floor replacing the old temp rug, insulated the doors, refining more storage so things are shaping up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier