Enclosed off road Trailer to fit a Dirt Bike

I've been looking around a bit and it seems my needs are rather unique. I want to fit my dirt bike on the inside of the trailer.

The height has to be a minimum of 5 feet and length of 8 feet. Dirt bikes are approximately 7 feet long.

A 4x8 trailer would work pretty well including the width of the axles being approximately the same as my jeep but every off road enclosed trailer is 3 or 4 feet high. The 5 foot high trailers that I have seen are 5 feet wide (most are 10ft long ) and I'd rather not go that wide if I can help it. Some of the trails I will be taking the trailer are a tad rugged, and narrow, so the smaller the better.

I currently own a 4x8 utility trailer that I could build but I would rather just buy one. I started adding up costs and my time and doesnt seem worth it to ME.

If anyone has seen one that fit my needs it would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!

CampStewart

Observer
My .02 is to buy a standard enclosed trailer in the size you need and have it speced with a 3500lb straight axle. I am sure if you order a trailer you can also specify the springs be over the axle rather than under. This should give you increased ground clearance and room for larger tires. In short talk to a trailer dealer,

dreadlocks

Torsion axles, full aluminum welded frame.. very well built and handles trails quite well. Ive got the bigger brother to this that can fit a full four seater side by side.

A trailer as narrow as you want is going to be a custom job, but I think your overthinking that part.. as long as its under 8ft wide it'll do most single track trails fine.. especially if its just poking fenders out that far and box is only 5-6ft.. if you make em too narrow and tall they wont be stable.

Last edited:

billiebob

I have a Mirage 5x10, 5'8" inside height. They also make a 5x8. Comes with a tube axle over leafs. For clearance it is easy to flip it to spring over.

jwiereng

A trailer as narrow as you want is going to be a custom job, but I think your overthinking that part.. as long as its under 8ft wide it'll do most single track trails fine.. especially if its just poking fenders out that far and box is only 5-6ft.. if you make em too narrow and tall they wont be stable.

A trailer with the minimum specs as stated by OP would not be unstable. 4 ft wide with wheels/fender outside the box and 5ft tall.

Dirtbike would be on the floor, centre of mass will be relatively low.

Thank you all so much for the great replys. Never knew about the mini toyboxes. Probably because my search was relegated to 4 foot wide. I still would prefer that width though.

That Intech explore looks amazing. Still, I think that is overboard wide for what I want to do. 6 foot wide box, too much. I looked at WeeRoll and they offer a 5 foot wide box and will do a height to order. Problem is though I just cant get a hold of anyone.

The problem with WeeRoll is there is no dealerships, and a drive to pick one up in Florida from AZ is not something I want to do. Shipping is costly. The benny of Intech is we have dealerships right here in town, 3 of them. Going to go check them out in person and perhaps change my mind.

An simple enclosed trailer might work too, I dont know how stout they are built though. Whatever I get will see a LOT of trails.

dreadlocks

The solid welded aluminum frame and structure is what attracted me to the InTech, was concerned anything built of stick and timber frame is going to rattle apart on trails, single track or washboards.. Torsion axles are really nice for toy hauling and off roading, for off asphalt you have shock absorption and independent motion to help navigate trails and it rides well despite loadout, spring suspension needs to be loaded and if you decide you want to travel without bikes then without the weight the suspension is too stiff..

Thing about toy haulers too is you dont actually have to take em down the hard trails, when the going gets too tough.. setup base camp and use the bikes and jeep to explore deeper.. if you really need something that can go anywhere your jeep can go, and bring your bikes.. your likely going to have to go for a custom rig just as capable as your tow vehicle, with interchangeable tires and built to your needs.. might watch the classifieds here and wait for someone to offload a good starting point for you.

nick-v

protip: dont buy anything from forest river.
Maybe in the "camping" category, but my aluminium Cargo Mate (a Forest River company) enclosed trailer is pretty well built. Better than any of the others I've seen in dealers here.

Envoyé de mon Moto X Play en utilisant Tapatalk

The solid welded aluminum frame and structure is what attracted me to the InTech, was concerned anything built of stick and timber frame is going to rattle apart on trails, single track or washboards.. Torsion axles are really nice for toy hauling and off roading, for off asphalt you have shock absorption and independent motion to help navigate trails and it rides well despite loadout, spring suspension needs to be loaded and if you decide you want to travel without bikes then without the weight the suspension is too stiff..

Thing about toy haulers too is you dont actually have to take em down the hard trails, when the going gets too tough.. setup base camp and use the bikes and jeep to explore deeper.. if you really need something that can go anywhere your jeep can go, and bring your bikes.. your likely going to have to go for a custom rig just as capable as your tow vehicle, with interchangeable tires and built to your needs.. might watch the classifieds here and wait for someone to offload a good starting point for you.
I checked out the Intech explore yesterday. Really a neat rig. Prior to going I was thinking I dont want a popout and when I got there and saw it and now think its the way to go. lol. Same for the slide out stove and fridge. I do wish it had a water tank and outside shower. All in all it was made for a dirt bike or two. I still think it's bigger then I want (especially taller than I want) but I might be too picky.

The one they had there had the popout, slide out stove/fridge, AC/heat, brakes, ramp, stereo system, dont know what else, for $17900. I'm not sure if RV joints are like car dealers, where the pricing is negotiable.......

BTW good info.

dreadlocks

I found out after buying my intech that a trailer w/out plumbing is cheaper to insure, I just carry jugs so I dont need any hoses, I can fill from a stream w/out contaminating anything but a $10 jug...

I took fridge out of the slideout, I'm thinking of putting a sink and water pump there that just runs off the jugs.. I think there's enough room there for an on demand outdoor LP hot water heater... or you could mount a pump and heater into a pelican case and just bolt it to the side like I see many here do.

Popouts are awesome, I was kinda same way.. wanted all hard side all the time, but with dual popouts the thing becomes wider than it is long and it feels sooo damn roomy.. and lets alot of light and air through if you want.

I think how much they move on price depends on how much they want to move that trailer, I got mine heavily discounted 3 states away because it had been sitting on their lot for >10mo, was a previous years model.. and was about to be discontinued a few weeks later.. think they just wanted what they had in it so they were willing to make little to nothing just to get rid of it.. If your dealer is moving explores easially, then he's going to be less inclined to move on price much.. but definitely negotiate if you can.

I grew up on a dirt bike, and I have 2 boys who I'd like to do the same for.. so hauling toys was priority #1, once I saw one of the InTech's in person I knew my year long journey of visiting every trailer lot in this state and neighboring states was over..

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior