Enchanted Tower, New Mexico

Dirty Harry

Adventurer
I took a short weekend trip to the Enchanted Tower and thought that I would share some photos. This area is about tow and a half hours southwest of Albuquerque and has nearly 100 (!) set sport climbs. The camping was also nice, with nice flat spots for tents, fire rings, and pinion and ponderosa pines. There is a lot of dirt two track out in this area that I would LOVE to explore further, but we did not have enough time on this trip.

Dirty Harry

Adventurer
All of the climbs we did were on the Mother Goose wall and ranged from 5.7 to 5.10. All of the different routes are named after fairy tales, which is great. It is hard to brag about just completing a route called "Never Never Land" though. :xxrotflma

Dirty Harry

Adventurer
I did not bring my camera but my girlfriend had her little point-and-shoot. Here are a few photos of the girls.

articulate

Expedition Leader
It's just been way too long since I've climbed. But all those pockets make me want to go soon. Used to be heavily "addicted to crack" routes. Is Enchanted Tower a free standing spire, or a peak, or something else?

Thanks for sharing

Dirty Harry

Adventurer
The tower itself is in the last photo of the first post, it is a semi detacted spire. It is about 150 feet tall and starts 100 feet from the valley floor. I am definitely not there yet! :rappel:

I do not believe that there is easy access to the top, but I could be mistaken. There are a lot of other big walls around the tower, and the tuft does have lots of pockets and great traction.

JPFreek1

Explorer
That tower is probably two pitches, eh? Looks absolutely awesome, sure wish I had that to climb in Houston. As it is, all I get is the climbing gym. ;(

Dirty Harry

Adventurer
Yes, two pitches to the top. The first one is not so bad, the second one is a killer! :REAdvRockClimber: The nice part is that it is only about two hours from Albuquerque.

I am in South Dakota now, everything here is crack climbing it seems.

fisher205

Explorer
Harry, The spires you have pictured actually have great crystals and face climbing. Several guides are available with hundreds of routes in the Needles, Spires, and Mt. Rushmore area. There is other climbing availble in Spearfish Canyon where I live, then Devil's Tower to the west. - Brad

Dirty Harry

Adventurer
Thanks for the info Brad. I actually bought a climbing book on the Needles and brought it with me. I checked out the eye of the needle and cathedral spires when I was down there. I have not done much trad though and I understand there is more sport climbing around Rushmore.

Haven't been up to Spearfish Canyon yet, I will have to check that out. I will be in Rapid through November and would love to meet some people to climbing with. Let me know if you are looking for a climbing partner or don't mind someone tagging along.

fisher205

Explorer
Harry, Sorry but I don't climb any more, mainly bike and fish, but Check out Sylan Rocks Climbing School, great people, and Rushmore Mountain Sports, in Spearfish. If you come up to the Spearfish area let me know and we can get together for a beer. - Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles