Emergency Recall Order Issued to The Lite Cylinder Company, Inc.

doug720

Expedition Leader
A neighbor owns Mutual Propane here in SoCal and when I asked about composite cylinders, He said no, then "Hell NO"!

Big problem is how they are handled, he said all it takes is a wear mark or ding on the cylinder, and they will not refill it. People have them re-certified, but if the tank is beat up at all, they still wont fill them, as the company has no idea when the damage occurred.

He told me to buy an aluminum cylinder if I wanted a lighter weight tank.

My 2 cents.

Doug

Honu

lost on the mainland
called around about tanks a few days ago and a tech guy at a big RV propane place said avoid the composite tanks for now ? maybe in the near future they will be OK but they have had issues with them also mainly leaking and not being able to find the leaks ?

guess its back to steel :) cheaper anyway

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
Today:

litecylinder@litecylinder.com

Subject: Emergency Recall Order

Please be advised that The Lite Cylinder Company is no longer in business and is currently evaluating its legal options. The company's facility is now closed and unable to receive cylinders returned per the instructions detailed in US DOT – PHMSA Emergency Order No. 2013-002. Furthermore, the company is financially insolvent and will not be able to recompense cylinder owners, dealers and distributors for the expenses incurred in complying with this Emergency Recall Order.

If you have any questions concerning the Emergency Recall Order you should contact John Heneghan, Regional Director, at (404) 832-1140, john.heneghan@dot.gov, or Aaron Mitchell, Director Field Services Support, at (202) 366-4455, aaron.mitchell@dot.gov.

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
Today:

litecylinder@litecylinder.com

Subject: Emergency Recall Order

Please be advised that The Lite Cylinder Company is no longer in business and is currently evaluating its legal options. The company's facility is now closed and unable to receive cylinders returned per the instructions detailed in US DOT – PHMSA Emergency Order No. 2013-002. Furthermore, the company is financially insolvent and will not be able to recompense cylinder owners, dealers and distributors for the expenses incurred in complying with this Emergency Recall Order.

DAYUM!!! :Wow1:

On another note their home page has been removed (server is online, but content taken down), but I found some of their other pages still up. It looks like they were a small shop. Only 10 people employed in the factory?
History of Lite Cylinder
Lite Cylinder Company was formed in 2002 by a few veterans of the steel cylinder industry. Being well versed in the Propane industry we came across a new type of composite cylinder made in Sweden. After thorough consideration we purchased the manufacturing and marketing rights from Composite Scandinavia for North American and other Select countries.
European Invention

Composite propane cylinders were first developed in Sweden in the early 1990s. Kurt Berglund invented the two-piece see-through cylinder. In 1995, Composite Scandinavia introduced composite cylinder for propane in to the Swedish markets. Today Composite Scandinavia manufactures over 200,000 cylinders per year.
We operate the only U.S. Location

We submitted an application to the Department of Transportation (DOT) for a special permit to manufacture and market composite cylinders here on the U.S. Two years in the making, the special permit was granted in late 2004. We began by importing a few thousand cylinders from Sweden in 2004 and 2005 to test the market for composite cylinders.

The need and appreciation for the new see-through, lighter propane cylinders grew, and we now have a new 15,000 sq. ft. facility manufacturing since early 2006. Most of the special equipment needed was manufactured right here in the Nashville, TN area.
Going strong and growing

Today, Lite Cylinder manufactures four sizes of composite cylinders. They are the 10lb, 20lb, 25lb cylinders as well as a 33lb forklift cylinder. In our short history, Lite Cylinder has already manufactured almost 40,000 cylinders and shipped them within the US and to Canada, and many other countries. The manufacturing plant operates on a 2-shift basis and employs 10 people. The company is approved by the Department of Transportation, Transport Canada and two European standards.

http://www.litecylinder.com/OurStory.aspx

4xdog

Explorer
I have had one of these for over a year no issues....

That's good to hear. But remember, safety is not measured by the number of incidents, but by the exposure to risk.

There's a reason the excrement hit the ventilator on this one. If you have the time and/or interest, read the details about the company's quality programs and test results!

4xdog

Explorer
I have a cylinder made by Ragasco which is not associated with the company in question.

Ah... My mistake. I read your post wrong. The concept of a lightweight composite cylinder is a fine idea, and, as you note, if made by a reputable company they're good products.

shogun

Adventurer
I do not have one of the cylinders under the recall....I have a cylinder made by Ragasco which is not associated with the company in question.

http://www.hexagonragasco.com

Apparently it doesnt matter. Just attempted a refill on a Ragasco at a propane specific company (ie. they should know the rules). He showed me the recall notice and said he was told "no composite tanks", even though this was not a LCC tank. Now, I know these guys arent rocket scientists, and that may be the issue, correct or not, they probably will not refill any composite tank because they are not smart enough to discern that the recall is only for LCC tanks. A composite tank is just rare enough that they seldom see them, and thus are suspicious right from the start.

doug720

Expedition Leader
As I posted earlier, this type of cylinders are likely not going to be filled. Bummer, but as my buddy stated below - "How do they know" and it's their but on the line for any issues after filling.

A neighbor owns Mutual Propane here in SoCal and when I asked about composite cylinders, He said no, then "Hell NO"!

Big problem is how they are handled, he said all it takes is a wear mark or ding on the cylinder, and they will not refill it. People have them re-certified, but if the tank is beat up at all, they still wont fill them, as the company has no idea when the damage occurred.

He told me to buy an aluminum cylinder if I wanted a lighter weight tank.

My 2 cents.

Doug

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke