Elockers?

Sleam

Explorer
Hi, Anyone had Eaton's Elockers installed? I'm looking for a good locking differential for a 2wd 2003 B1500 van. Rather than get a 4x4 as well as the van, I want to get this upto scratch. Dirt roads but winter highway driving too. So not just to get me out of stuck situations but for safer street driving in a storm.
Also any info on extra suspension ideas? A bit more clearance around wheels.
Thanks, s

billiebob

I've driven many RWD trucks with rear lockers. Absolutely the best idea ever.
How 'bout this. 130K pounds, 30 wheeler, 8 wheels locked & chained up.

PS I've also driven 2WD pickups with a locker and left 4WD pickups behind.
I now own a TJR, only problem is the lockers on a Rubicon only lock in 4LO.

Not sure I'd recommend locking up at speed tho. Maybe with just RWD if you don't exceed 30?mph.

Last edited:

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I had an Eaton e locker in the front of my f150 and didn’t love it. It was ok.

My complaint was that it required a certain amount of turning to “ramp up” and lock. If you were moving forward and back it would lock and unlock with directional changes. It was fine but, I much prefer an ARB that just positively locks and stays that way. Purchase price and install wasn’t much difference. the compressor is extra but who doesn’t need one anyway???

Sleam

Explorer
The prices seem similar yes. I was looking at the ARB one. There's a dealer in Albuquerque 4wheelparts that has a all this stuff. I think they'll look at my simple van and laugh though. That said, I've probably done more in it than they'd imagine! Thanks for the feedback.

Sleam

Explorer
Thanks, just looked at truetrac. Sounds like a great option. I'm hoping to get stuff through 4wheelparts in Alb as they're close and stock so much, installation too.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I never thought elockers were good for snow driving, maybe I'm wrong.

Maybe consider a true trac and simplify.

All depends. You could argue that a selectable locker is better in the snow. Unlocked you’ve got an open differential, you you’re less likely to spin BOTH rear wheels which kicks the back end around. Lock the rear end when you really need it. You’ll know how it will respond to throttle inputs unquestionably.

Honestly limit slips have been the least predictable in the snow for me. You’re usually not quite sure when the torque will overcome traction and the back will kick out sideways. Fine for a good driver who is present, but bad for the average person.

llamalander

Good control in snow is going to come from good winter tires or chains. What your drivetrain does is less important that how well you hang onto the road, but unpredictable locking/unlocking or scrubbing isn't going to help anything. Locked wheels might help you out of a snow bank, but run them at speed on a winter road and they could just as quickly put back in the snow bank.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Many moons ago, I had good experiences with FRONT wheel drive and chains in the snow. I reckon that with a locker it would be even better.
The benefit of FWD over RWD is that the rear will always follow the front if the front has traction and the rear doesn't, even if the vehicle is not pointing in a straight line.
BUT, give me a 4WD any day :)
In the OKA, I have a LSD in the rear (Dana 70) which I find very good, and an ARB air locker in the front (Dana 60), which is great but rarely needed.
1973 1980s Austin 1800 Mk2.jpg
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
My only experience with chains and front wheel drive was chains on the front of a Subaru Brat. After my second 180 degree spin out, I took them off. It had excellent traction in the front and zero in the rear. It was horrible. With no chains it did awesome... chains was like being strapped to a top. No thanks.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Its best to chain the rear, or front+rear, never just the front. The tendency to oversteer is dangerous. This is part of the reason some folks prefer FWD for snow conditions, they don't know how to regulate throttle to control oversteer (in RWD), and end up out of control. Typically in snow its best to have the drive axle be the heaviest one. As most cars are front heavy, FWD results in better traction.

In my 2WD light pickup days, I would put 200-400lbs of sand/salt in the bed. Combined with good snow tires, I could typically out drive most vehicles with summer tires (4wd included). One winter I had summer tires on the front, it was an interesting year, the tendency to understeer was hard to control with the heavy front brake bias, but the E-brake did an okay job with enough forward planning.

Lockers are important once you start lifting a drive wheel. For rear heavy vans this may not happen, as the front lifts first in most conditions. For these vans a limited slip (Automatic torque biasing or clutch type) may be a better choice. Though for the budget oriented the luncbox style locker may be a good option.

billiebob

The benefit of FWD over RWD is that the rear will always follow the front
But the disadvantage of front wheel drive is if the front tires are spinning you have zero directional control. With RWD you can steer with the gas pedal and counter steer with the undriven front tires.
The disadvantage of part time 4WD is the rear tires want to travel the same distance as the front tires and the rear tires tend to push you in a straight line.
With AWD the problem is boredom.

But back to chains, they were never intended for speed. If you can do 20mph you have no need for chains. My favorite lockers are selectable lockers, on or off, anything auto locker is a compromize for those who prefer to not think while driving.

Last edited:

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
But the disadvantage of front wheel drive is if the front tires are spinning you have zero directional control. With RWD you can steer with the gas pedal and counter steer with the undriven front tires.
The disadvantage of part time 4WD is the rear tires want to travel the same distance as the front tires and the rear tires tend to push you in a straight line.
With AWD the problem is boredom.

But back to chains, they were never intended for speed. If you can do 20mph you have no need for chains. My favorite lockers are selectable lockers, on or off, anything auto locker is a compromize for those who prefer to not think while driving.

Oh but I love to drive in the snow with auto lockers. Sideways everywhere. Haha
But I wouldn’t allow my wife to drive the two trucks I owned with auto lockers in them if it was raining or snowing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles