Elevated truck cap camper build help

tupac_lopez

Hey guys I’m pretty new here, still figuring out the website and how to navigate it so I’m sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. I’ve been looking for a way to elevate my truck cap that I want to use as my camping rig. I recently picked up this cap for my 03 Dodge Ram 2500 long bed and I want to raise it up. Now hear me out before you shut me down. I’d like to raise it anywhere from 4-8”. The one iffy thing is that my cap as you can see through the pictures, replaces the tailgate as well which may make things a little tricky but not impossible. So of course I’d need something to fill in the space because my idea would be to somehow stack something on the bed rails at whatever height I want to raise it and also stack the same thing under the back of the cap to seal the gap there as well. The back seems to be a little easier because it could just be a little metal frame from 1x1 steel square tubing with aluminum sheet metal. The bed rails is the place where I need ideas and preferably something not too expensive of course. I know the cap is going to stick up above the cab of the truck which I plan on making one of those air deflectors which they use on roof racks and things of that sort (see attached photo for reference). The only two ideas I’ve thought of were stacking wood such as pressure treated 2x4’s along the bed rails and bolting the cap through the wood into the bed rail. And my other idea would be to make some sort of metal frame out of 2x1 square tubing with aluminum sheet metal riveted on. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated and taken into consideration. I know it’s kind of an unorthodox build but I’m just ready to get this thing built and ready to hit the road. If you have any questions, I’ll do my best to answer them.
(Yes I know it’s really dirty and need a good wash, I’ve been waiting to fix a few things before I hit the coin wash. Also the cap sits too high in the back that’s why it looks a bit funny since it’s too high in the back and not pushed all the way forward but you get the general idea of what it looks like. )

Attachments

• 83EB8C0E-6FB2-4F34-89A9-EA96D4478DC9.jpeg
    83EB8C0E-6FB2-4F34-89A9-EA96D4478DC9.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 33
  • 7DB60A1C-0446-47D3-BEF1-18E68955D4B3.jpeg
    7DB60A1C-0446-47D3-BEF1-18E68955D4B3.jpeg
    1,000.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 27C4613E-8F04-4805-A556-73A835E8889F.jpeg
    27C4613E-8F04-4805-A556-73A835E8889F.jpeg
    1,019.8 KB · Views: 30
  • C17AB777-BFFE-45AF-BEB9-4E92EC51C4AE.jpeg
    C17AB777-BFFE-45AF-BEB9-4E92EC51C4AE.jpeg
    613.5 KB · Views: 31

4xchinook4

Observer
Id say the the cheapest and easiest would be the 2x4 wood stacking. And then perhaps some aluminum "skirting" to cover the 2x4's , attached via some butyl tape between the aluminum sheet and the camper topper . And then some screws with the water proof rubber collar on them going through the aluminum - butyl tape - shell.

Just a quick response idea. But im sure someone else could tag team another, maybe better idea

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

billiebob

If you use wood, don't use treated wood. treated is only needed if the wood contacts dirt.
2x4 might be overkill, 1x4 or 1x6, ripped to the height you need should be plenty.
Welded tube would be much better. Keep it light, maybe match the size, gauge, spacing of the canopy.
Same to fill the tailgate gap, Keep it light.

Many options for the rear filler. Just do a 4" strip across the bottom which that creates a step over but definitely the simplest choice
Or do filler at the bottom of each side, drop the door 4", do a filler above the door.
Or do the 2 sides, add an extension to the bottom of the door, the same cost and best function.
Regardless if you use metal, just match the framing and sheeting used in the canopy.

For the frame up the sides and across the front, check with your local building supply yard for an aluminium flashing which might already be bent in a u shape and 3/4/5 inches high. Then just get a steel 1x1 frame welded up to match. That same flashing might work at the back too. Screws and hardware store weatherstripping might finish it off.

I'd do the welded steel tube. Love those contractor canopies with the lift side doors, so functional.

Last edited:

tupac_lopez

Id say the the cheapest and easiest would be the 2x4 wood stacking. And then perhaps some aluminum "skirting" to cover the 2x4's , attached via some butyl tape between the aluminum sheet and the camper topper . And then some screws with the water proof rubber collar on them going through the aluminum - butyl tape - shell.

Just a quick response idea. But im sure someone else could tag team another, maybe better idea

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
If you use wood, don't use treated wood. treated is only needed if the wood contacts dirt.
2x4 might be overkill, 1x4 or 1x6, ripped to the height you need should be plenty.
Welded tube would be much better. Keep it light, maybe match the size, gauge, spacing of the canopy.
Same to fill the tailgate gap, Keep it light.

Many options for the rear filler. Just do a 4" strip across the bottom which that creates a step over but definitely the simplest choice
Or do filler at the bottom of each side, drop the door 4", do a filler above the door.
Or do the 2 sides, add an extension to the bottom of the door, the same cost and best function.
Regardless if you use metal, just match the framing and sheeting used in the canopy.

For the frame up the sides and across the front, check with your local building supply yard for an aluminium flashing which might already be bent in a u shape and 3/4/5 inches high. Then just get a steel 1x1 frame welded up to match. That same flashing might work at the back too. Screws and hardware store weatherstripping might finish it off.

I'd do the welded steel tube. Love those contractor canopies with the lift side doors, so functional.

Hey guys thanks for the tips and suggestions, I've been a little busy but hope to get this little project up and going soon. I'm leaning towards the wood idea with aluminum sheet metal that I have or doing a unistrut frame with the aluminum sheet metal. I have both the unistrut and the aluminum sheet metal at home from other projects but I dont know if the unistrut will be stable enough. I'd think the 2x4 would be as stable as it gets especially if I put threaded rods through the cap lip, the wood and into the truck bed rail instead of the clamps. I'm planning on insulating the cap with rigid foam insulation first while I decide what to do next.

tupac_lopez

Hey guys its been a while and I hate when people leave empty threads that they started without updates so I had to give an update even though I pushed it off. The camper is pretty much done more or less, I wouldn't consider it ever being done as modifications will always occur but the main part of the building is done and I've successfully taken it out for a trip not long ago. here are some pictures from before the build, throughout it and from my first trip not long ago. I did a lot of research before this and I've been a fan of the van/truck life for years and I personally enjoy/appreciate build guides so I didn't want to leave much out. For everyone else who doesn't care as much, I apologize for the long read below ???. I don't think it came out to shabby for a 21 year old with some help from his dad. Let me know what you guys think!

Before we put the cap on (more or less permanently), we replaced the front window and rear window with plexiglass. The previous owner had smashed both and had a piece of plexiglass cut for the front window which I ended up needing to trim anyways and he had screwed on a piece of plexiglass from the inside of the rear door just to cover the hole of the window. We managed to take apart the frames and cut the plexiglass with a metal blade in a jigsaw. Then we dropped the plexiglass in the frame and sealed with silicone.

What I ended up doing for the frame of the bed rails is 3 2x4's stacked on top of eachother and put two 4"x4" roofing angle flashing (thank you @billiebob for the idea, my dad also gave me the same idea) and made some end caps for the back from the left over flashing, which were installed first, and then the sides and then the front. I sealed the end caps and the front corners with silicone. This process was annoying just because we removed and installed the cap a few times. We mocked it up first as you can see so that we could see it and check if it would be high enough. We went with this height because it just happened to be the height needed to raise the rear end enough to clear the inside of the truck bed. So the bottom of the framing under the rear door is at the same height as the truck bed. we put a 2x4 screwed into the bed to support that framing for when were getting in and out of the camper so as to not bend the frame. We had that aluminum diamond plate from a project years ago and it worked perfectly to cover the 2x4. After putting the 2x4 bed rails with flashing onto the truck bed, we installed the truck cap on top and put 3 bolts on each side through the truck cap lip, 2x4's and the truck bed rail to secure it all down. (We put truck cap foam tape between the layers of course)

After that we proceeded with making the bed. I wanted something easily removable so that I could use the bed space if I ever needed to which so happened to be yesterday and it worked perfectly. For the bed I wanted something that I could sit upright inside and not be uncomfortable so I made it the appropriate height for that while thinking of the additional mattress height and insulation. I also wanted to be able to convert the bed into a couch so as to make it feel more spacious in case of rainy days where I'm stuck inside. With all this in mind, we made a sofa bed type of thing. Opens up to a full twin and closes to just over half a twin. The mattress was cut in half (we didnt cut all the way through so that it would hold together a little better) and stuffed into an old stained mattress cover. I used zip ties to the tie downs in the truck bed to hold it in place although it doesnt seem to move even without them. The frame of the bed was old 2x4's i had laying around and the slats were 1x3 I bought.

Next was insulation, I used 3/4" closed cell foam insulation between the framing and left the shiny part facing in and foil taped it all. This was a time consuming process but with the help of my dad we got it done in pretty much a day and a half. If I had to do it again I'd try to find a better way to hold the foam in because the tape stuck to the aluminum frame but not very well to the plastic on the foam. Maybe spraying the plastic with spray glue and then taping would have been better.

Following that, I spent a while searching and searching for somewhere to buy automotive carpet that wasnt $50-80+ for a few yards. the cheapest was crutchfield.ca but I happened to luck out and got some carpet/felt material from work that worked out awesome. The only problem is that its white. What I might do in the future is spray paint all of it gray so that any dirt marks are hidden. I just didnt want to spray everything as we cut and wait for it to dry to install so I said f it and put it like that. We cut all the pieces and spray glued both the cap and the carpet and stuck it on. it helps to have some help for this because no way you can do this nicely alone. It stuck on like donkey kong. Hopefully it helps absorb the condensation in the cold winter months while running a heater. I wish I had a chance to test it in the middle of winter but I'll see next winter.

After insulation, I went ahead and got some 1"x16" wood to make a shelf along the left side of the truck bed. I wanted something that could fold down and be out of the way as well as be used as a table to cook/eat when I'm forced to be inside. I got some folding shelf brackets from amazon and they worked awesome. I made one 8' piece two shelfs and sanded+varathaned them. I put some 1x3 leftovers from the bed under the board to prevent any possible splitting and/or bending. I had to put some spacers behind the shelf bracket part that screwed into the 2x4 bed rails. A little hard to explain but I can post pictures if necessary. These also worked just as planned and I'm glad I made it two shelves instead of one folding/rigid shelf.

A few minor things that I also did throughout this was making a drip edge for the door, adding a support piece behind the door lip on the floor so the lip wouldnt get beat up, sealing the door, and replacing the lock cylinders, installing an air shock from an old car on the door, and installing an rv vent in the roof (which will soon have a diy fan installed to suck all the hot air out in the summer). I'm sure I'm missing a few things but thats the majority of it, if anyone needs wants any pictures or anything just let me know!

I have a few more things I'm looking into such as building my own power station with a deep cycle battery, running some lights inside, bug screens for the windows and door, running boards and a roof rack for the truck that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. The only one that seems to be difficult to do on a budget is the roof rack because my truck has a flat roof so there isnt a lot of options for mounting it besides either drilling into the roof or having door seal mounts. I'm leaning towards drilling and making my own mounts/roof rack. I also really need to stop putting off making my side steps, I gotta make them soon.

More pictures to follow, I could only attach 10 at a time.

Attachments

• IMG_2307.jpg
    IMG_2307.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2308.jpg
    IMG_2308.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2309.jpg
    IMG_2309.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2310.jpg
    IMG_2310.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2311.jpg
    IMG_2311.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2361.jpg
    IMG_2361.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2367.jpg
    IMG_2367.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2393.jpg
    IMG_2393.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2394.jpg
    IMG_2394.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2395.jpg
    IMG_2395.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 37

tupac_lopez

more pics...

Attachments

• IMG_2403.jpg
    IMG_2403.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2433.jpg
    IMG_2433.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2434.jpg
    IMG_2434.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2457.jpg
    IMG_2457.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2488.jpg
    IMG_2488.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2489.jpg
    IMG_2489.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2490.jpg
    IMG_2490.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2491.jpg
    IMG_2491.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20

pigsammy

You got it dressed up and out using it, congrats!

The lighter color will be nice on your interior.
Enjoy it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles