Electronics/switches question (5th Gen)

Chilpyl

Ladies and gents,

I recently purchased a '19 TRD 4runner and I finally have a rig I can use for all the trips and experiences I've wanted to do over the years. I have a couple of modifications on order already (lift, rack, lights, etc.) but I have a question about switches and power management. I've done some reading about the Switch Pro and sPOD modules and I'm looking for some input on either option and the associated parts that go along with. At this point I'm planning to power 3 separate light sets (bumper, rack, ditch) but I'd like room for the addition of a compressor, fridge, and accessories in future.

My real question today is this: Outside of the switch module and mounting plate, what other things are needed but not included with the Switch Pro or sPOD modules?

TIA

Sidenote, I just realized I've been on this site for 7 years and am finally able to contribute.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
They need nothing, both are closed systems. A cheaper alternative would be to use individual switches, but that requires many more wires stuffed behind the dash and more grounds and fuses to keep up with when trouble shooting issues. That said, there are at least four blanks that can easily be used on the drivers side and others in the center stack and if going that route you don't have to drill for or attempt to hide a switch panel. Of the two you mentioned I prefer the SP-9100.

An example of one of the switches I mentioned that is in place of a blank.

*note the other blanks above it.

7linEEZ.jpg

Last edited:

tstead

The spod stuff is cool but manual switches are relatively easy to install and cheaper. With the added bonus of looking and feeling cooler (personal opinion). So unless you're planning on going crazy with extra gadgets, maybe stick to switches

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Chilpyl

They need nothing, both are closed systems. A cheaper alternative would be to use individual switches, but that requires many more wires stuffed behind the dash and more grounds and fuses to keep up with when trouble shooting issues. That said, there are at least four blanks that can easily be used on the drivers side and others in the center stack and if going that route you don't have to drill for or attempt to hide a switch panel. Of the tow you mentioned I prefer the SP-9100.

So the Switch Pros module includes everything needed? Forgive my ignorance, I'm definitely new to electrical stuff, but based off of this article I was under the impression that I'd need extra items to actually attach all my electrical items to, and the SP is more of a singular management interface.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
So the Switch Pros module includes everything needed? Forgive my ignorance, I'm definitely new to electrical stuff, but based off of this article I was under the impression that I'd need extra items to actually attach all my electrical items to, and the SP is more of a singular management interface.

You only need to ground each item, however you choose to do that is up to you.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
And you can get Carling switches that look basically stock and fit in the blanks with all sorts of descriptors on them here:

I got my switch for the compressor from AOB, they have options for Toyota OEM style switches with color to match the factory switches. There are other options out there beyond these two as well.

CMARJEEP

Observer

It depends how you want to configure it. You could keep it simple and just connect everything direct to the Switch Pro and essentially all you’d need is wire and ring terminals to connect your accessories.

I opted to go with the full Powertrays setup that includes the tray, positive terminal bar, ground bus bar, Blue Sea aux fuse box for always on items and all the stubby cables to connect every together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles