Electronic topo maps for Baja

gjackson

FRGS
To all of those out there who spend time in Baja, what maps do you use? And are there good electronic topo maps avaliable (calibrated or just as graphics files)? More importantly, are any of them freely avaliable? I'm looking for some maps I can calibrate myself and use for an upcoming trip to Baja.

Thanks in advance.

Scott Brady

Founder
I use LBMaps with my Garmin Unit and the Baja Almanac for the paper map.

Both great resources!

If you are looking for 7.5 minutes topos (scanned or digital) I think I might be able to get the CD set. I will let you know in the next few days.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Graham, if you are interested in running laptop software (versus handheld GPS) you should check into using OziExplorer. Send me a PM or email and I will put you in touch with a couple of friends who use Ozi. They can give you some more information, and specifically on getting set up for Baja (topo and Sat maps). There is also another program called Fugawi (which I have no experience with) that is used by a company that produces routes for Baja (but they are directed towards the moto rider)

http://www.bajagpsguide.com/bajagps_store/guidebooks.php

Of course, if you are just planning on using a hand-held I agree that the LB maps is the way to go. I imagine that for basic informational purposes such as topo lines and road data, it is probably just as good if not better than using Ozi - just a smaller screen. I imagine with Ozi you would have some added topographical data such as names and locations of natural features and maybe more backcountry sites (ranchos, etc) plus the sat imagery.

gjackson

FRGS
BajaTaco,

Thanks for the detailed reply! I should probably have said up front that I'm using a Mac, so Ozi and Fugawi won't work for me (unless I get virtual PC). I was interested in getting some topos that I could calibrate myself since few people put out maps for Mac. I can read the old fugawi files (bsb format), but only some of the new ones (FX3 format).

cheers

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
gjackson said:
BajaTaco,

Thanks for the detailed reply! I should probably have said up front that I'm using a Mac, so Ozi and Fugawi won't work for me (unless I get virtual PC). I was interested in getting some topos that I could calibrate myself since few people put out maps for Mac. I can read the old fugawi files (bsb format), but only some of the new ones (FX3 format).

cheers

I apologize for the assumption. Especially when you have previously mentioned your laptop setup! Sorry about that. Omnimap has the digital files available in 1:250,000 and 1:50,000. They aren't cheap, but at least they have them available digitally now.

whitethaiger

Adventurer
I've scanned a bunch of pages from the Baja Alamanac and calibrated them for Ozi. They don't track as nice as the USGS stuff we are used to here in the US, but I was surprised how close they were for the most part, especially considering that the Alamanac does not provide projection and datum info.

You could also try to get digital maps from INEGI (http://www.inegi.gob.mx site requires some Spanish....)

gjackson

FRGS
Very cool! Thanks for the link! I like the idea of calibrating maps from the almanac. I may well try that as well. I've used old Russian topos of Africa and calibrated them with GPSY. I was amazed at how well they tracked. Especially for the countries that Russia had an interest in. Luckily they did have projection and datum info. It can be very rewarding to calibrate maps like that and see how well they track!!

cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior