Electrify the Wrangler? Well, yeah...why the heck not!

billiebob

My blind friend HATES them; can't hear them when they want to turn into his path.
This was a problem with the Honda Accord 30 years ago. So well built it was almost silent. Honda actually reengineered it to generate some noise. We had one and could walk away from it forgetting it was running.

shade

Interesting, not aware of it with my Sweeties Tesla 3.
In fairness, it could be one of the dozens of touchscreen options that car has what we never look at.
If that were the case, I dont think ’mandated’ applies.
I'll look for it later, but I know my Toyota and Honda hybrids both announce their electrically propelled smugness.
It's easy to hear when pulling into a garage with the windows down.
It's inaudible from inside with the windows up, and it only powers up when in motion.

Lovetheworld

If that dad was a bit smarter he would put a solar panel on top of it, so you can just keep driving.

@shade I thought the noise was only for the European market. So Tesla could just have it enabled on European models. While other brands may just keep it the same for all markets.

shade

If that dad was a bit smarter he would put a solar panel on top of it, so you can just keep driving.

@shade I thought the noise was only for the European market. So Tesla could just have it enabled on European models. While other brands may just keep it the same for all markets.
Could be.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I'll look for it later, but I know my Toyota and Honda hybrids both announce their electrically propelled smugness.
It's easy to hear when pulling into a garage with the windows down.
It's inaudible from inside with the windows up, and it only powers up when in motion.
According to Consumer Reports the current Prius hybrid has the shortest break even point of 5-6 yrs compared to its similar sized Corolla.

Last edited:

shade

According to Consumer Reports the Prius hybrid has the shortest break even point of 5-6 yrs compared to its similar sized Corolla.
It was a good car and worked well for how it was used, but I much prefer driving the new Honda Insight. It's drives like a car, not an appliance.

whaleinafishbowl

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need... roads!"
The 2020 Honda insight looks like a combination of a Chrysler 200 and a Tesla Model S ?

Since I've never driven one or read anything about it, I have no opinion on anything other than the outward appearance.

shade

The 2020 Honda insight looks like a combination of a Chrysler 200 and a Tesla Model S ?

Since I've never driven one or read anything about it, I have no opinion on anything other than the outward appearance.
I think it looks like any late model sedan. It doesn't scream HYBRID! like the some, especially the 4th gen Prius. The steering and suspension work well, and as far as the driving experience, the only disconcerting aspect is the CVT-ish transmission, but that's to be expected.

As for an e-Wrangler, the general feel of the throttle & transmission will probably be the main complaints past whatever charging is like. I can see Chrysler programming some simulated shift points to make it a little more palatable, but there will be complaints from people that will never be happy with the way an EV drives.

shade

Well, I would think the throttle response will greatly improve with electric, which is good also for offroading.
I'm referring to how it feels to drive it, not just the response. Drive something with a CVT. You'll definitely notice a difference, and some people really dislike it.

Lovetheworld

Yeah but a CVT is the opposite of driving electric. Many people hate a CVT. I also hate the classical automatics.
But when driving electric, it jist goes directly when you press it. The fast response and the predictability is what pretty much everybody likes about driving electric, once they actually tried it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles