Electrify the Wrangler? Well, yeah...why the heck not!

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Yup...According to this Car and Driver story, Jeep Now Also Is On The Bandwagon Making Impressive Claims About Its Upcoming Line of EV’s...Including Soon An Hybrid Electric Wrangler!

What do think about that? Would you be inclined to buy an electric Wrangler...or perhaps a hybrid one?

So.....According to CandD,

• “Jeep global president Christian Meunier says the company is all in for electric and hybrid versions of the classic SUVs, starting with the China-market Jeep Commander.
  • As seen at the CES technology show earlier in January, Jeep's U.S. electrification will start with hybrid versions of the Renegade, Compass, and Wrangler under the 4xe name.
  • By 2022, every Jeep in the lineup will have a hybrid or electric variant, he said.
In the several months since Christian Meunier took over the reins of Jeep worldwide, the new global president of the Jeep brand has made it clear he's focusing less on interior features and luxuries, more on technology. Predictably, as goes the entire industry, so goes the off-roading icon. Christian recently told Car and Driver that his plans for the Jeep brand in the 2020s include an aggressive plan to launch plug-in-hybrid and, later, electric Jeeps throughout the coming decade”

Continuing....The Jeep’s Boss said: "We're bringing as many electric Jeeps as we can. Next year, we will have the [plug-in-hybrid] Renegade, Compass, and Wrangler," and that would be half of the Jeep models available in the U.S.!

Last edited:

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
So....Here’s a spy shot from last March of what they were calling the Mule....a 4 door Wrangler hybrid. It doesn’t look from the outside any different does it? The hybrid build would certainly seem to be a more useable choice than a full, EV battery only model. Jeep may be planning this option to try to deal better with the terrible gas mileage these Wranglers get.

E5D77D03-6263-416D-A558-1965C782776C.jpeg

Last edited:
So....Here’s a spy shot from last March of what they were calling the Mule....a 4 door Wrangler hybrid. It doesn’t look from the outside any different does it? The hybrid build would certainly seem to be a more useable choice than a full, EV battery only modem. Jeep may be planning this option to try to deal better with the terrible gas mileage these Wranglers get.

View attachment 562645

Not to be a pedant, but the Wrangler is already available as a hybrid. Albeit a very mild hybrid but technically... The above photo is probably hiding the charge port for a PHEV, a plug in hybrid. Probably what you meant, sorry to sound like an ass, but there is a lot of consumer confusion, some of which is intentional by manufacturers. The "self charging EV" campaign that Toyota is running being the most egregious. The term "electrified" is another less than genuine term you hear manufacturers use as well, because they know the average buyer is under-informed.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Not to be a pedant, but the Wrangler is already available as a hybrid. Albeit a very mild hybrid but technically... The above photo is probably hiding the charge port for a PHEV, a plug in hybrid. Probably what you meant, sorry to sound like an ass, but there is a lot of consumer confusion, some of which is intentional by manufacturers. The "self charging EV" campaign that Toyota is running being the most egregious. The term "electrified" is another less than genuine term you hear manufacturers use as well, because they know the average buyer is under-informed.

Actually thx, these are interesting comments. I’m nowhere near an expert on any of this EV, Hybrid or PHEV technology and appreciate any clarifications. But I’ll admit to still being somewhat confused as both of the linked articles clearly refer to PHEV’s, and what else would one call this Wrangler since the linked article also several times mentions a gas engine as part of this build. So yeah, they call it a PHEV, and they mention the gas engine can recharge the batteries:

” our spy photographer confirms that he observed the Wrangler traveling at speeds up to approximately 25 mph in EV mode for three to four miles before the internal combustion engine fired up to assist with motivation.”

and

“ the idea of having a significant power source in the backcountry that can recharge its batteries as needed via its attendant gasoline engine”

This is the better trend I think....A hybrid vehicle that can run on its gas engine, or its electric motor and can be charged both by the gasser or via a plug. I know Prius added a plug in charger in 2012, so it’s not a new thing. But is there really that much of a difference between a gas/electric hybrid and a gas/electric PHEV? One just also has the additional external charging option.

Last edited:

shade

But is there really that much of a difference between a gas/electric hybrid and a gas/electric PHEV?
Usually, it's just a higher capacity battery.

I'm not sure how much more efficiency they can wring out of a vehicle that looks like it was designed to create aerodynamic drag. They can strike a balance with a hybrid system and limit EV mode to low speeds and short distances, but a full EV Wrangler will drain a battery quickly at highway speeds.

Actually thx, these are interesting comments. I’m nowhere near an expert on any of this EV, Hybrid or PHEV technology and appreciate any clarifications. But I’ll admit to still being somewhat confused as both of the linked articles clearly refer to PHEV’s, and what else would one call this Wrangler since the linked article also several times mentions a gas engine as part of this build. So yeah, they call it a PHEV, and they mention the gas engine can recharge the batteries:

” our spy photographer confirms that he observed the Wrangler traveling at speeds up to approximately 25 mph in EV mode for three to four miles before the internal combustion engine fired up to assist with motivation.”

and

“ the idea of having a significant power source in the backcountry that can recharge its batteries as needed via its attendant gasoline engine”

This is the better trend I think....A hybrid vehicle that can run on its gas engine, or its electric motor and can be charged both by the gasser or via a plug. I know Prius added a plug in charger in 2012, so it’s not a new thing. But is there really that much of a difference between a gas/electric hybrid and a gas/electric PHEV? One just also has the additional external charging option.
Then there are series and parallel hybrids, series being the more efficient such as the Volt and Nissan e-power (not available in the US)

I applaud the changes at FCA, but this is all 20 year old tech, other than the battery cells of which I doubt they are using the latest.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
[QUOTE="3jarrells, post: 2731554, member:

I applaud the changes at FCA, but this is all 20 year old tech, other than the battery cells of which I doubt they are using the latest.
[/QUOTE]

This is a valid observation, but I’m not sure of the point you are trying to make. As a consumer, I really don’t want my Jeep to have bleeding edge technology. Typically technology like that isn’t great for reliability, and while as a Jeep owner I realize I didn’t buy high reliability, I also didn’t want to buy high tech.

In addition, all vehicles rely on old technology every day. The pneumatic tire was patented in 1845. Steel and glass are both thousands of years old. Do we demand carbon fiber body panels (also well over 20 years old)?

[QUOTE="3jarrells, post: 2731554, member:

This is a valid observation, but I’m not sure of the point you are trying to make. As a consumer, I really don’t want my Jeep to have bleeding edge technology. Typically technology like that isn’t great for reliability, and while as a Jeep owner I realize I didn’t buy high reliability, I also didn’t want to buy high tech.

In addition, all vehicles rely on old technology every day. The pneumatic tire was patented in 1845. Steel and glass are both thousands of years old. Do we demand carbon fiber body panels (also well over 20 years old)?
[/QUOTE]
Agree, but it’s interesting that both FCA and Ford are using their big brand marquis for change. The Ram has been mild hybrid for a couple years but you won’t see a designating mark anywhere on the truck.

I would disagree with you on the reliability standpoint. We’ve had an EV for the last five years as a daily driver, I’m not going back. You are correct though, there are use cases currently where old tech is more appropriate. Surely looks like stainless is the right choice for the Cybertruck.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I'm not sure how much more efficiency they can wring out of a vehicle that looks like it was designed to create aerodynamic drag. ....

Right on...because it’s the basic “brick on a skate” 4 Door Wrangler design inspiration::
BFA72DFA-AD20-45D9-BDE7-04392C6516DB.jpeg
0E75FEA6-86FC-4EBE-B345-744D61E3F9C5.jpeg

End result? They kind of look like they’re made out of Lego’s

Last edited:

luthj

Engineer In Residence
The wrangler is so badly suited to electrification... Best bet would be a complete redesign. A lot of the design elements could remain, but a chassis that could accommodate a large battery pack, dual motors to avoid the need for shafts, etc. Then add an adjustable suspension to get the lower ride height for range at speed. Some aero mods would be needed.

The wrangler is so badly suited to electrification... Best bet would be a complete redesign. A lot of the design elements could remain, but a chassis that could accommodate a large battery pack, dual motors to avoid the need for shafts, etc. Then add an adjustable suspension to get the lower ride height for range at speed. Some aero mods would be needed.
I can see it, looks a lot like a Rivian.

billiebob

Aerodynamics are important above 50mph but around town aerodynamics are not a big factor. I'd love a pure electric Samuri, no need for adjustable suspension or expensive headlights. I absolutely hate the lack of ground clearance in all of todays electric cars. And forget about all the ridiculous communications technology. Just put an electric motor and some batteries into this....
and smaller tires.

blue9.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles