Electrical system for DIY camper build. A LOT of questions.

I too will be assembling a DC system for my new pop-up. So far it will be based on the Lithionics 12V 315AH E2107 GTX Battery. The truck is a 3500HD with dual batteries and alternators so there is a good current source for rapid charging. What DC-DC controller would be best?

I want a system that is simple, reliable and won't require active cooling. Sterling... Mastervolt?

Thanks

Sent from my KFKAWI using Tapatalk

high-and-dry

I too will be assembling a DC system for my new pop-up. So far it will be based on the Lithionics 12V 315AH E2107 GTX Battery. The truck is a 3500HD with dual batteries and alternators so there is a good current source for rapid charging. What DC-DC controller would be best?

I want a system that is simple, reliable and won't require active cooling. Sterling... Mastervolt?

Thanks

Sent from my KFKAWI using Tapatalk
Look up the renogy dc to dc and mppt combo charger. It is a little pricey, but it is a very capable system that will allow you to slap a solar panel on the roof and go when you get to that point.

dbhost

So... Looked at the AC I am using, Max draw 6.6 amps, max provided by the Tailgator is 6 amps (BAD), the Sportsman max amps output is 8.2 amps rated from the docs I can find...

Mind you, the camper build I am wanting to do will feature a 5K BTU window unit at 4.4 amps max inrush draw, vs this old 6.5K BTU unit. I am not cooling as much space with it, and eventually will need to replace this old unit. That means I should be good to go with the Sportsman inverter generator, which does seem to have a good warranty and reputation... This will allow me to keep my fuel consumption, and weight for making power low...

Long term, I know I want primary power source to be solar, with a lighter, better suited energy storage system than this lead acid deep cycle group 27 battery...

soaringeagle

I use a Ctek dc to dc charger which is also my solar panel controller. I have 1 100 watt solar panel and a group 31 odyssey AGM drop cycle battery. Mainly the battery powers my HAM radio and an ARB fridge/freeze. The ctek uses alternator to charge deep cycle if necessary it also will allow solar to top off starting battery when vehicle is sitting.

I have only put 2500 on the jeep this year and the fridge has been running 24/7. It’s a great set up and very simple with the capability to add more battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.

That looks interesting.

dbhost

So did some more checking around. My old 6.5K BTU Window unit is a 2006ish GoldStar which apparently became LG(?), anyway, it's old, and really needs a replacement. 6.5K BTU is nice for a 10x14 tent with a tarp keeping the sun off of it and heat out, BUT it is a bit much for a truck canopy camper.

New LG 5K BTU unit has improved efficiency wise with a max draw of 4.1 amps. Still planning on doing the Sportsman generator for the stuff Solar can't handle though...

My considerations are going to be a bit, blurry as I have probably contradictory requirements.

#1. Run my AC when it is intolerably hot.
#2. Provide off grid power for my CPAP.
#3. Power my laptop and hotspot so I can work while off grid. Yes I need to stay within range of a cell repeater. Price I pay for getting paid.
#4. Need to keep the costs affordable.
#5. Need to keep the weight manageable due to my half ton truck.
#6. Need to keep the space consumed as low as possible, again vehicle limitations.

Obviously CPAP use will be at night, AC, Hot Spot and Laptop will be during daylight hours, so solar can work then...

I would like to charge any batteries en route, so from alternator charging would be good, as would maintneance charging / trickle charging of starter batteries from solar / generator.

IF possible and I seriously doubt it is, but I would like one device that I can connect to the trucks charging system, AND solar, AND connect output of my generator to as a central charging controller and inverter / power distribution hub. Most likely such a device doesn't exist. But it sure would make my life easier...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles