electrical supply source

fog cutter

Adventurer
do we have a single source supplier for interior wiring, fixtures, & sundries?

west marine catalog indicates they have a good range, but there may be something better.

thanks

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I shop all over...
Amazon does get a bunch of my money because of the quick delivery and return policy.

AndrewP

Explorer
Amazon has a surprising amount of cool stuff. Very good prices on Blue Sea products like fuse panels, breakers, and charging relays.

Here is a good link for Marine type wire, heat shrink, and connectors:
https://gregsmarinewiresupply.com/Zen/

There are specialty places like Waytek that have basically everything electrical, and Powerwerx that has everything connected to Anderson Power Poles. Really a great source for Power Pole related gear. For some strange reason, they also sell Chinese Ham Radio gear.

fog cutter

Adventurer
thanks for the input. amazon has become my go to place for almost everything. even dental floss & energy bars!

at first blush, the prices @ gregs look budget friendly. it would be a value to have advice since the big A pretty much assumes i know what i'm doing.

i'll check the other two sources too. thanks

AaronK

Explorer
I get as much stuff from Amazon as I can to save on shipping

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

Chazz Layne

Administrator
I grab a lot from Parts Express, they seem to have consistently great pricing on bulk wire, conduit, connectors, relays, etc.

I'm also in the Amazon bucket for everything else, except Anderson connectors, which I usually grab from Powerwerx.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I shop amazon, dhgate, and aliexpress.

I buy LEDs, switches, fans, etc direct from China, hard to beat if you are willing to wait the 3 weeks or so for shipping. The the electronics components we buy from US distributors is coming from there anyways. You should be able to buy for 10-20% what you would pay in the US for components like that.

Of course, for stuff you want a warranty and support on, you need to buy from domestic sources.

KevinsMap

Adventurer
West Marine

Nobody has said it yet, so I will. West Marine can be a great resource, if you are not price sensitive (shall we say?). Ok, let's just call them "straight retail" and be done with it. But on the other side of that same coin, they source many US and European products of very top quality, and their Asian sources tend to be the best available. So the catalog at West Marine is one of my go-to resources.

The retail stores? That is much more hit-miss, as far as the quality of the people you will find. Some very good, some much worse than useless.

AndrewP

Explorer
Nobody has said it yet, so I will. West Marine can be a great resource, if you are not price sensitive (shall we say?). Ok, let's just call them "straight retail" and be done with it. But on the other side of that same coin, they source many US and European products of very top quality, and their Asian sources tend to be the best available. So the catalog at West Marine is one of my go-to resources.

The retail stores? That is much more hit-miss, as far as the quality of the people you will find. Some very good, some much worse than useless.

There is a West Marine near me and I basically agree. I have bought a ton of electrical parts there over the years even though it galls me to pay full, inflated retail. But when you need an extra 5 feet of cable at the last minute, they have the goods.

zelatore

Explorer
Working in the marine industry I deal with West Marine almost daily, or at least their commercial side, Port Supply. Even the wholesale prices are ... not great. I use them often for small things that I need _now_ , but on anything significant I generally call my rep and work the price. And I have to say, my rep (NorCal) does a pretty good job of getting the price competitive.

But yeah, the store prices are pretty salty.

zelatore

Explorer
There is a West Marine near me and I basically agree. I have bought a ton of electrical parts there over the years even though it galls me to pay full, inflated retail. But when you need an extra 5 feet of cable at the last minute, they have the goods.

BTW, if you are refering the West off 50 in Sac, it's one of the worst stores in NorCal. Seriously, the people and stock are awful. Even Stocton and Pittsburg are better, and of course every store in the bay area is miles ahead. I'm regularly in the Sausalito and Alameda stores. Sausalito is new and they're slowly getting the staffing up to snuff. Alameda is pretty much staffed by good people, plus the manager happens to wheel an LJ, so you know he can't be all bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior