Electrical Help Needed > Anyone Mount a Camper on 21 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Yet?

tortiseshell

I'm about to hopefully in June. My truck is a 2021 Silverado 2500HD Crewcab, Std Bed, Duramax, LT. I have a Nucamp Cirrus 620 on order and hope to take delivery then. Would like to learn from others how your electrical system is set up if you have a camper. My disclaimer is I don't have the camper yet, but I'm prepping as much as I can for it. I just don't want to mess anything up electrical or have a wiring harness cut into without understanding why. I don't get the sense the RV Dealer is versed in knowing the newness of my truck, it's electrical system and how that integrates into a new camper and set up that has just come out. Other than literally plug and go.

My 2500HD has a 7 way connection (5th wheel option) on a cargo bed sidewall. The camper plugs into that for power and charging.

Wondering about:

When the camper is plugged into the truck and the truck is running, how does the alternator provide proper voltage for the camper to recharge the camper batteries and truck batteries? (2 Lion UT1300 Lithium batteries in camper)
What is needed to regulate charging the batteries properly from the truck alternator?
Do I need a DC to DC Convertor?
What is needed to add a solar port and portable solar panel to the electrical system?
Do I need a voltage regulator or mgt system for 2 Lion UT1300 Lithium batteries that are in the camper?
I'm not even sure of the right questions to ask... but...
What am I missing?

Common sense tells me as awesome as the truck is, something is missing that could potentially mess up the truck or camper's electrical. So wondering if anyone else has insights and suggestions of what to take into account. Open to any knowledge and wisdom you can offer.

Thanks so much.

As mentioned above, you need to get a full breakdown of the camper wiring to start, and also the output of the alternator on your truck. No sense running around designing a system without knowing what's already there.

As far as wiring goes, you will definitely want to run wires specifically for the camper. In my FWC and '18 GMC 3500, I have 4AWG copper with BlueSea 187-series circuit breakers at the truck battery connection, entrance to the camper, and at the camper battery connection. That makes it easy to isolate different areas of the rig quickly and safely. I max out around 50 amps (AHs), but it's typically lower than that. I leave the system open most of the time. This allows the Lifepo batteries in the camper to float charge the truck battery when parked, and also keeps the Lifepo from shutting down when it gets really cold.

REDARC Tech Team

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor
I'm about to hopefully in June. My truck is a 2021 Silverado 2500HD Crewcab, Std Bed, Duramax, LT. I have a Nucamp Cirrus 620 on order and hope to take delivery then. Would like to learn from others how your electrical system is set up if you have a camper. My disclaimer is I don't have the camper yet, but I'm prepping as much as I can for it. I just don't want to mess anything up electrical or have a wiring harness cut into without understanding why. I don't get the sense the RV Dealer is versed in knowing the newness of my truck, it's electrical system and how that integrates into a new camper and set up that has just come out. Other than literally plug and go.

My 2500HD has a 7 way connection (5th wheel option) on a cargo bed sidewall. The camper plugs into that for power and charging.

Wondering about:

When the camper is plugged into the truck and the truck is running, how does the alternator provide proper voltage for the camper to recharge the camper batteries and truck batteries? (2 Lion UT1300 Lithium batteries in camper)
What is needed to regulate charging the batteries properly from the truck alternator?
Do I need a DC to DC Convertor?
What is needed to add a solar port and portable solar panel to the electrical system?
Do I need a voltage regulator or mgt system for 2 Lion UT1300 Lithium batteries that are in the camper?
I'm not even sure of the right questions to ask... but...
What am I missing?

Common sense tells me as awesome as the truck is, something is missing that could potentially mess up the truck or camper's electrical. So wondering if anyone else has insights and suggestions of what to take into account. Open to any knowledge and wisdom you can offer.

Thanks so much.

Once you find out the Camper electrical system feel free to shoot me a message or email at rthurston@redarcelectronics.com we can go over some build ideas.

tortiseshell

awesome! thank you... i know lion batteries suggest your dc to dc charger BCDC1225D

so very interested in knowing what to do... very much appreciate your invite to reconnect. will do once i get the camper - hopefully sometime in june, while making a mini trip back home.

thank you again!
-tob

Once you find out the Camper electrical system feel free to shoot me a message or email at rthurston@redarcelectronics.com we can go over some build ideas.

REDARC Tech Team

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor
awesome! thank you... i know lion batteries suggest your dc to dc charger BCDC1225D

so very interested in knowing what to do... very much appreciate your invite to reconnect. will do once i get the camper - hopefully sometime in june, while making a mini trip back home.

thank you again!
-tob

No problem, that's what I'm here for!

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
If your 5th wheel wiring is the same as my ‘11 2500hd gasser it’s only about ten gauge. I would think a lithium bank would overwhelm that gauge of wiring pretty quickly.

I would do 2 or 4 gauge to something like that redarc. I wonder if it’s even safe to have that factory 10 gauge wire still in play.

emulous74

This will be very helpful to you or to those that will help you on this. 20_Silverado_2500HD_3500HD_Electrical_Body_Builder it's available for free on www.gmupfitter.com There are a lot of wiring diagrams, but the sections usually begin with a lot of text explaining how the electrical system works, like when connected to a trailer. You will see a lot of three digit codes that are referring to options (RPOs/LPOs) available on the vehicle. If you want, PM your VIN and I can get your build sheet for your truck. I work for GM, so I have access to them.

Connecting Aftermarket Accessories •
Some aftermarket accessories that connect to the X88 Trailer Connector will be recognized by the vehicle as a trailer connected, even if the accessory is not a trailer. As a result, side blind zone detection, rear park assist, and/or rear cross traffic alert will be turned off anytime the vehicle detects a trailer/accessory is connected. • Vehicles equipped with U1D have trailer theft detection that constantly monitors trailer connected status when enabled. This is done by periodically pulsing the lighting circuits of the trailer when the vehicle is parked. As a result, some aftermarket accessories may be turned ON/ OFF when connected to the vehicle with theft detection enabled. • Vehicles equipped with U1D use pulse width modulation voltage (PWM) for trailer lighting functions. Some aftermarket accessories are incompatible with PWM and may not function correctly when connected to the trailer lighting circuits of the vehicle.

Trailer Battery Charging System

Trailer battery charging is accomplished through constant battery voltage from the X50A Fuse Block – Underhood to the X88 Trailer Connector. Battery voltage is supplied to terminal E at the X88 Trailer Connector at all times. If equipped, the trailer battery will constantly be charged by the vehicle’s electrical system anytime the trailer is connected. Some trailers require the B+ circuit to the X88 Trailer Connector for the trailer brakes to function.

tortiseshell

emulous74 thank you! This is great and will be helpful to me and those helping design what to do. I very much appreciate this... thanks so very much!

Wilbah

Adventurer
Thw upfitter manuals are great for details for stuff like this (and a lot more). Definitely a good place to make sure you are doing it right from an engineering perspective.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94