Electric Drive Sidecar?

Strider

Observer
So I am looking at a Royal Enfield Himalayan to do, among other trips, the Trans America Trail. I like everything about that bike, and it would be strictly for dirt tracks, with paved roads used only as a necessity and for short distances. I have zero interest in speed etc. My interest in this bike is the low end torque and ability to handle rough terrain well.

I would like to take my dog (about 50lbs) and so am thinking of a sidecar. Now, I like the Himalayan even with that small engine, but on a trail a sidecar will just be too much.

So I was thinking:

What about installing one of those electric drive motorcycle wheels on the side car? I figure attaining equal "speed" between the bike's main wheel and the sidecar wheel would be virtually impossible, so on pavement and most tracks the sidecar would be freewheeling. But on difficult parts, the electric side car wheel can be engaged to help with traction.

Any thoughts on this?

billiebob

Balance left/right might be more of an issue when you need traction on dirt than pavement.

400ccs is not that bad. Plenty if you are doing more urban and trail riding with zero interstate. There are several light expo sidecars which would handle the dog well. The nice thing about the Himalayan is it IS light. Keep it light. An electric motor and battery kills that advantage. If you need more power.... get a bigger engine.

But don't let us nay sayers sway yer choice.... I'm wanting to see the result of a hybrid sidecar.

What about the Sox option.... ??

Last edited:

pith helmet

So I am looking at a Royal Enfield Himalayan to do, among other trips, the Trans America Trail. I like everything about that bike, and it would be strictly for dirt tracks, with paved roads used only as a necessity and for short distances. I have zero interest in speed etc. My interest in this bike is the low end torque and ability to handle rough terrain well.

I would like to take my dog (about 50lbs) and so am thinking of a sidecar. Now, I like the Himalayan even with that small engine, but on a trail a sidecar will just be too much.

So I was thinking:

What about installing one of those electric drive motorcycle wheels on the side car? I figure attaining equal "speed" between the bike's main wheel and the sidecar wheel would be virtually impossible, so on pavement and most tracks the sidecar would be freewheeling. But on difficult parts, the electric side car wheel can be engaged to help with traction.

Any thoughts on this?
Cool idea, but I see donuts in your future. I love what I’ve seen of the himalayans but speed notwithstanding, I wonder if it would be up to the task of pulling you, a tub, gear and your 50lb copilot. The electric motor will be heavy as well.

I like smaller bikes, too but if you don’t have one yet, maybe look at bigger bikes with non powered tubs? The hack would almost negate the negatives of the weight of a bigger bike, except in mud where you’d need a winch for even the small rig.

I look forward to seeing whatever you end up doing.

RDinNHand AZ

Back in the day 500cc and 600cc BMW's with a sidecar were run in races off road with a 150+ lb human rider in the car. They moved well and seemed to have power and speed even in quite rough terrain. They were 26-29 hp not far from the 24.3 hp of the Royal Enfield Himalayan and were similar in weight. With a small custom sidecar and a 50 lb dog and your lightweight gear the Himalayan should do well.

Strider

Observer
Balance left/right might be more of an issue when you need traction on dirt than pavement.

400ccs is not that bad. Plenty if you are doing more urban and trail riding with zero interstate. There are several light expo sidecars which would handle the dog well. The nice thing about the Himalayan is it IS light. Keep it light. An electric motor and battery kills that advantage. If you need more power.... get a bigger engine.

But don't let us nay sayers sway yer choice.... I'm wanting to see the result of a hybrid sidecar.

What about the Sox option.... ??

That's pretty cool about Sox, but I think unnecessarily dangerous. Should the driver have to make a hard evasive maneuver the dog doesn't have the ability like a person to grab on.
I'll stick with the idea of the sidecar. Have also thought of a little trailer but sems like it would be bouncing all over the place.

Strider

Observer
I was thinking of replacing the wheel on the sidecar with one that has a built in electric motor. I guess there would still be added weight with the batteries required. I would have to check that out.

This is the thing I am thinking of, but installing it in the sidecar instead of the bike:

Says its intended for bikes weighing less than 400 pounds dry, so on a sidecar it should be OK.
But as one of you mentioned: the issue of keeping the wheel at a close spinning rate to the bike's to prevent donuts.

Made by a company called EV-Propulsion.

RDinNHand AZ

I’d try the hack w/o power first to see what it could do. You sound committed to doing it. I say go for it and let us know what you find out. All education is expensive and we all know the school of hard knocks it the priciest!
Try a left hand thumb control for the third wheel and only use it when you are bogged down or nearly so. Low speed use might make it manageable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94