Electric Chain Saw???

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor
I also have the DeWalt 20V chainsaw and also carry the recharger that plugs into my LR's socket. Handy thing to have so I am not ever without a way to recharge my battery while on the road. Haven't been on the road much lately though.
I should carry the charger, and probably would if I did not have the three batteries and normally not out for more than a few days. I can cut almost two nights worth of firewood with one battery as long as I have sharpend my blade. Speaking of, I need to get an extra blade....

MTVR

That's stupid...where can I get one.

4x4tripping

Adventurer
Gel%25C3%25A4ndewagen-ausbau-schlafen-bett.jpg

Is there a small and lightweight electric or fuel chainsaw who is worth to consider?

If i had to choose between my girlfriend and a chainsaw - she will win. Space is very very limited on long term travelling...

Actually I think i can just save weight with this:

gefaehrliche_dynamitstangen_2.jpg

If there is a tree on the track, the smaller chain one dont will help I guess?

4x4tripping

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor
Gel%25C3%25A4ndewagen-ausbau-schlafen-bett.jpg

Is there a small and lightweight electric or fuel chainsaw who is worth to consider?

If i had to choose between my girlfriend and a chainsaw - she will win. Space is very very limited on long term travelling...

4x4tripping

The DeWalt 20V is very small. When I'm not using it, I remove the bar and chain and store the whole thing along with the oil and batteries in a 20 size rubber maid tote. Takes up almost no room and it sure as heck beats using an axe to clear a trail, which I have done too many times...

4x4tripping

Adventurer
I have the Kobalt (Lowe's) 12" bar 20v about the same size as the Dewalt. I've probably mentioned it in this thread already.

I also keep a small inverter in my rig and the charger since I've only ever bought one battery.

It works but in the perpetual quest for newer and better tools I really want that little Milwaukee (Hatchet):

This would be a size we can carry with us.

But it will probably fail on trees like showed here, what would be what we can expect on trails even on that size?

img_20201111_063119-jpg.624311

Reactions: WVI

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
We have abandoned the chain saw and carry a Milwaukee reciprocating saw instead.
With the appropriate blades, I can cut a decent tree that is over the track or cut a bull bar in half and it shares a charger and batteries with other power tools we carry.
We don't cut tons of firewood and if it needs a saw it should stay on the ground.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor
@4x4tripping I have cut 24 inch trees with my dewalt 20v and 12 inch bar. It takes a while but it beats a bow saw or axe. You just have to move around the cut more.

But 10 inch dead fall for firewood? About 30 seconds each piece with a sharp blade. And like I said, compared to a gas saw, it's super quiet. Like next camp over can't hear you sawing quiet.

WVI

Adventurer
I've used c corded electric chainsaw as well as a corded and battery powered reciprocating saws for trees around the house.
By far the corded chainsaw was SO much faster....maybe not as safe in the hands of a noob like me, but still WAY faster than a reciprocating saw. I just haven't found a blade for them that works well on trees.
If most of my tress were not already taken care of around here, I'd be jonesing for a little battery powered DeWalt chainsaw!

86scotty

Cynic
Agreed ^^, There is also this consideration. Are you carrying the saw for trees down across the trail or for firewood? If you never need it except for firewood a sawzall is great. For moving through a considerable tree across the trail I find a chainsaw to be quicker and better, but there's also this, my go to. I have a truck with a winch and lots of recovery gear. Most, if not all of the trees that fall across the trails are dead and almost always pines or evergreens in my experience. A truck and winch has yet to not pull one out of my way. A couple of times I've had to saw most of it then break and drag with the truck.

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor
Agreed ^^, There is also this consideration. Are you carrying the saw for trees down across the trail or for firewood? If you never need it except for firewood a sawzall is great. For moving through a considerable tree across the trail I find a chainsaw to be quicker and better, but there's also this, my go to. I have a truck with a winch and lots of recovery gear. Most, if not all of the trees that fall across the trails are dead and almost always pines or evergreens in my experience. A truck and winch has yet to not pull one out of my way. A couple of times I've had to saw most of it then break and drag with the truck.
I've done that too down around Tellico Ranger District. The only thing that bothers me about that is if the tree has any potential energy and springs loose while breaking free with the winch. This is why now I try to get at least one cut into it. Plus...using a chainsaw fees bad@$$ haha.

D P joe

When it's the matter of taking care of trees, I will prefer gas or battery powered chainsaw. These chainsaw's are easy to handle on the tree branch.
Battery-powered chain saws are convenient, quieter than gas-powered saws and lower maintenance. Also, if you own or purchase other outdoor power equipment that can use the same battery, it makes even more sense to own a battery-powered chain saw. On the other hand Compared to electric chainsaw or battery chainsaws, gas-powered ones are more powerful and efficient in terms of run time, cutting speed, mobility. Some gas chainsaws are suitable for handling heavy-duty tasks like felling, bucking large trees. If you are an arborist then this article from https://toolsvoice.com/ will help you to make a decision. Although, it's not easy to take a decision among the numerous brand like Stihl, ECHO, Husqvarna, Dewalt, Craftsman, Makita etc.

Reactions: WVI

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior