Electric Chain Saw???

Frogprince

Observer
I just picked up a Ryobi 40v Lithium. I have several of the other devices and a gentleman local was selling one with a battery (4ah), charger and the saw for 80 bucks.

I used to carry a gas saw. The problem was taking the gallon of gas, getting it to start at 10K plus feet in the morning could be a chore and it always leaked. It was a good saw, once it got going and made short work of the firewood. Sold it when we moved into an apartment during a long distance move. Now everything I own is smaller and battery powered. Figure try the saw, it seems to have the power and should make short work of small trees.

Going to test it out in a two weeks. I will update then.

I understand people being hesitant to try one of these but I'd like to share my recent experience. We had a tree go down in our neighborhood earlier this summer and 3 of us went over to cut it up. I had a Husqvarna gas powered. Another neighbor had an electric chainsaw and the last guy had a battery powered unit. The battery powered chainsaw outperformed all 3 by far. I don't remember what brand it was. I was shocked. I'm a fan now.

I understand people being hesitant to try one of these but I'd like to share my recent experience. We had a tree go down in our neighborhood earlier this summer and 3 of us went over to cut it up. I had a Husqvarna gas powered. Another neighbor had an electric chainsaw and the last guy had a battery powered unit. The battery powered chainsaw outperformed all 3 by far. I don't remember what brand it was. I was shocked. I'm a fan now.
That is sweet to hear. I've been thinking about ditching my gas saw in favor of a battery powered saw to save space and not have to worry about maintenance.

Nukeproof

just saw this,,, i have a dewalt 20v chainsaw and its amazing for what it is. got it because i already had the batteries. the gas chainsaw pretty much doesnt get used anymore unless i really need to give it a workout.

Frogprince

Observer
Just got back from our trip.

I took the Ryobi and 3 batteries up to the hunt camp. Used it on day one and cut down 3 small/medium trees and that was more then enough wood for the week. Didn't go thru the battery nor did I need the spares. To me it was a time saver and worked well. Granted I cut my firewood into about 8-10 inch pieces and then split by hand. Left a pile for the next person to enjoy.

The saw had more then enough power to do what I needed and blazed thru the task.

GHI

Adventurer
Just got back from our trip.

I took the Ryobi and 3 batteries up to the hunt camp. Used it on day one and cut down 3 small/medium trees and that was more then enough wood for the week. Didn't go thru the battery nor did I need the spares. To me it was a time saver and worked well. Granted I cut my firewood into about 8-10 inch pieces and then split by hand. Left a pile for the next person to enjoy.

The saw had more then enough power to do what I needed and blazed thru the task.
So which one? The 40v lithium. The Ryobi has been on my radar ever since seeing it here on this thread.

Frogprince

Observer
So which one? The 40v lithium. The Ryobi has been on my radar ever since seeing it here on this thread.

I have a 40v Lithium. It worked well. I took 3 batteries and never got thru the first one. Though mainly because on day one I get all my wood together in the afternoon and not big into bonfires.

I had an invertor and charger in case but never ended up needing it.

GHI

Adventurer
I have a 40v Lithium. It worked well. I took 3 batteries and never got thru the first one. Though mainly because on day one I get all my wood together in the afternoon and not big into bonfires.

I had an invertor and charger in case but never ended up needing it.
Cool thanks. I'm just sifting through the numbers trying to figure out the best deal for chainsaw, hedge trimmer and weed wacker through my local big box store.

Frogprince

Observer
Cool thanks. I'm just sifting through the numbers trying to figure out the best deal for chainsaw, hedge trimmer and weed wacker through my local big box store.
I picked up a Ryobi hedger a few years back, then they had clearance models of the trimmer...

A guy locally purchased a pallet of Ryobi tools at auction it was a no brainier. That is why I have all Ryobi. The hedger has been great and the trimmer and tiller do therebligt duty.

outdoornate65

Adventurer
Just back from a two week trip in the Four Corners region.
First trip using my new Dewalt 20V Saw w/ 12" bar. Thing is a game-changer.

We are in a truck camper set-up and don't have a lot of room to carry wood. We were able to just pull off the road and cut up some wood on our way to the next campsite.
Charged the battery with our Honda 2000 generator (no second battery yet).

Rooney

I’m in the tree industry and I cannot wait for battery powered equipment to take over the industry I’m sick of exhaust fumes and mixing gas/oil. I use this Husqvarna chainsaw around my house along with the pole pruner, Recently purchasing the hedge trimmer but I have not used it yet. I’m extremely pleased with the power and reliability of these units so far I think I have two years under my belt with the chainsaw.

Attachments

• A2B31BA4-3B10-46BC-BAEA-602D6508050D.jpeg
    A2B31BA4-3B10-46BC-BAEA-602D6508050D.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 37
  • 608D4A08-BF61-4BB9-B0D5-4FC75A606D66.jpeg
    608D4A08-BF61-4BB9-B0D5-4FC75A606D66.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 34
  • FF14D050-997F-4022-B260-21F091D45146.jpeg
    FF14D050-997F-4022-B260-21F091D45146.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 28
  • E457677B-8D29-4206-8971-3A5DD767DA02.jpeg
    E457677B-8D29-4206-8971-3A5DD767DA02.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 29
  • DFEEBF3F-E25E-47F8-9A63-14CC3D8607B9.jpeg
    DFEEBF3F-E25E-47F8-9A63-14CC3D8607B9.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 29

Southern_Pride

Does anyone have any experience with the Milwaukee cordless chain saw?

Todd Z.
I do. Great saw. Only problem I had was battery performance in the florida heat. They overheat fast if cutting over 12 inches continously. That being said i cut up a green oak stump that was 30 inches in diameter with it. Not as fast as a gas saw but doesn't bog or get pinched as easy either.

Madbodhi

Observer
The DeWalt has proven it's worth several times. As part of a system they really shine. In addition to the saw I have their battery operated fan which is awesome and will run through the night a light, and their compact 4.5 in. grinder with a selection of cut off,sanding,and wire wheels.Tying it all together I have their ( pricey but sooo worth it) 12v charging station that allows me to charge the batteries on the move as we usually pack up and move daily.
20190802_103305-1.jpg

krick3tt

Adventurer
Really like the idea of the lighter adapter to charge the battery, save me from getting an inverter. Have to check out their web site for that. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz