Electric Chain Saw???

FJR Colorado

Explorer
I'm now just a bit over a year into "going electric" and have not looked back. In fact, I sold my old gas chainsaw at our garage sale last weekend.

The DeWalt 60V unit is just great. I continue to be very impressed with it.

What really astonishes me is the power of the little 20V unit which I have as well. It is so light and easy to handle and really packs a punch. It is absolutely great for creating ATV trails which I do all over my mountain property.

It is so much nicer not to have the saw constantly running. Ditching the ear protection is also very nice. You are able to think over every cut and be much more efficient.

I'm definitely glad I waited to make the switch until Lithium batts were available. I don't think it would be very practical with previous-gen batts.

Bear in NM

Adventurer
I have a ranch that play at, that requires cutting our way to the cabin, for the first trip of the year. We also have occasional trees that fall while up there playing, that have to be cut, to get out. Took my big Stihl up a few weeks ago, and only got half way done before the saw decided to not start. Have it in the shop now. As I needed to finish the job sooner than later, I found this thread and started researching electric saws. My van is complete solar, so charging is no issue.

I picked up a Makita XCU02, which is the "topper" style saw, with side handle, top handle and 12" bar. It is crazy light, and the design with the quick detach bar nut/adjuster gave me the idea that I could store transport with the bar off, as it only to get my van through.takes a minute or two to set up. I ran the saw back up to the ranch, and used it to finish cutting my way in. I had 5 or 6 trees, the largest about 18 inches to get through. The saw performed fantastically. The two 18v batteries were enough to get through everything (I had another pair just in case).

My thoughts on the downsides. It seemed to pitch the chain more easily than my Stihl, but that may have been me not adjusting the bar, or paying better attention. And I had one pitch that "tweaked" one of the drive teeth, rendering that chain non-op ( I need to see if I can straighten it). Given the battery situation, I did not feel comfortable doing excessive cuts and stacking of the offending trees, mostly just cut big enough openings. With the Stihl, I would have made firewood piles. When the tree diameter approaches the short bar length, you do have to really pay attention to the tree angles, etc. Stuff you do with a "proper" saw, but more so with this little beast.

The pro's were what I had hoped. great battery life, more than enough to cut through the typical clutter one might find on a trail. The weight is fantastic. With the bar off, I have the whole kit stored in a cheapy walmart travel suitcase, sized to fit under a plane seat. So it is small. And best of all, it is what I would a "real" saw. Oregon chains, bar oil, plenty of power, proper chain brake etc.

FWIW,

Craig

geojag

I used to use Milwaukee tools for work (changed jobs) so I have a lot of batteries. I picked up the Milwaukee Fuel 18V chainsaw, and I have to say I am impressed. One 12AH battery allowed me to cut an entire downed maple about 12" diameter and 30' tall, with battery to spare. I haven't taken it out camping yet, but come winter I will.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
I have a ranch that play at, that requires cutting our way to the cabin, for the first trip of the year. We also have occasional trees that fall while up there playing, that have to be cut, to get out. Took my big Stihl up a few weeks ago, and only got half way done before the saw decided to not start. Have it in the shop now. As I needed to finish the job sooner than later, I found this thread and started researching electric saws. My van is complete solar, so charging is no issue.

I picked up a Makita XCU02, which is the "topper" style saw, with side handle, top handle and 12" bar. It is crazy light, and the design with the quick detach bar nut/adjuster gave me the idea that I could store transport with the bar off, as it only to get my van through.takes a minute or two to set up. I ran the saw back up to the ranch, and used it to finish cutting my way in. I had 5 or 6 trees, the largest about 18 inches to get through. The saw performed fantastically. The two 18v batteries were enough to get through everything (I had another pair just in case).

My thoughts on the downsides. It seemed to pitch the chain more easily than my Stihl, but that may have been me not adjusting the bar, or paying better attention. And I had one pitch that "tweaked" one of the drive teeth, rendering that chain non-op ( I need to see if I can straighten it). Given the battery situation, I did not feel comfortable doing excessive cuts and stacking of the offending trees, mostly just cut big enough openings. With the Stihl, I would have made firewood piles. When the tree diameter approaches the short bar length, you do have to really pay attention to the tree angles, etc. Stuff you do with a "proper" saw, but more so with this little beast.

The pro's were what I had hoped. great battery life, more than enough to cut through the typical clutter one might find on a trail. The weight is fantastic. With the bar off, I have the whole kit stored in a cheapy walmart travel suitcase, sized to fit under a plane seat. So it is small. And best of all, it is what I would a "real" saw. Oregon chains, bar oil, plenty of power, proper chain brake etc.

FWIW,

Craig

You know, storing my saw with the bar removed is a darned good idea (that I obviously didn't think of). Would make for a much smaller package and greatly expand my bag/box options.

It's pretty easy to take off/put on the bar and I don't often use the saw.

sancap

I have been using a Husqvarna 14 inch 120i electric chain saw. It is mostly used for cutting wood for the campsite. I take the blade off and store it in a small duffel bag. I have had it for about 3 months and have charged the battery 4 times. So far so good, and for the $250 I paid for it I believe it was a good purchase.

Bear in NM

Adventurer
You know, storing my saw with the bar removed is a darned good idea (that I obviously didn't think of). Would make for a much smaller package and greatly expand my bag/box options.

It's pretty easy to take off/put on the bar and I don't often use the saw.

I have a new reason to do this, now. I have an electric "motorcycle" arriving tomorrow. Yes, I have gone off the deep end. On my little honda gas bike, hauling my big stihl around the ranch to trim trails was pretty much a no go. If I find the correct back pack, I should be able to haul my Makita around disassembled on my back, as the bike has no real storage options.

Craig

Bear in NM

Adventurer
Jacob,

For anyone wondering about why my Makita, and not my old Stihl, my Makita uses a large knob to loosen the bar nut, and the adjuster is a star type wheel. It is fast, with no tools needed. I have been checking the oil, and no leakage so far.

I took a look at your Jeep thread. Looking good. I ran a Wrangler for over 20 years as my camping rig, and a saw was a real pain. Sometimes it was inside, sometimes on the outside. The thing about these smaller jeeps, everything has a place, and when packing up at camp, I hated having to "remember" where everything needed to go. Mine was a soft top, so usually coming home I had some "odd" bulges in the soft top, from stuffing and cramming...….

Craig

With my one ton van, I have room for everything...….

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Jacob,

For anyone wondering about why my Makita, and not my old Stihl, my Makita uses a large knob to loosen the bar nut, and the adjuster is a star type wheel. It is fast, with no tools needed. I have been checking the oil, and no leakage so far.

I took a look at your Jeep thread. Looking good. I ran a Wrangler for over 20 years as my camping rig, and a saw was a real pain. Sometimes it was inside, sometimes on the outside. The thing about these smaller jeeps, everything has a place, and when packing up at camp, I hated having to "remember" where everything needed to go. Mine was a soft top, so usually coming home I had some "odd" bulges in the soft top, from stuffing and cramming...….

Craig

With my one ton van, I have room for everything...….

We have a 1-ton van too...but it's still empty inside. Check back with me in two or three years. ;)

Bear in NM

Adventurer
My van was empty inside, after I removed about 500 pounds of metal contractor shelving. I am two summers into getting it where I want, so your schedule sounds about right...…..

WARNING: If you install solar, you will go looking for 12V stuff to add...My e-bike will be here tomorrow.......hmmm, how many watts of solar needed to charge a Tesla...…....

Craig

laxtoy

Adventurer
As a remodeler for the last 25 years I’ve gone through and used a lot of cordless platforms.

My plumbers/electricians/hvac guys love Milwaukee cordless stuff, with good reason, their stuff is beef. Using a cordless right angle drill with close to the same torque as a corded drill and an electric brake so the bit stops spinning the second you take your finger off the trigger is a no brainer. Anyone who’s been lifted off a ladder by a hole hog knows what I’m saying.

Myself and my coworkers are Makita guys.
I’m going with the XCUO3 when I get the motivation to buy it, hopefully before the end of fall.
$380 for (4) 5.0 ah batts and a double charger or $180 for the bare tool. 14” bar and I’ve read some guys swap to a 16” so plenty of cutting capacity, and as for run time I’ve read it’s good for about 60 cuts through a 6x6 on a single charge, so plenty for me I’m sure.

If I ever need more I’ll convince my wife I NEED that Stihl MS261 ;)

I already have a double charger and (4) 5.0 batts I purchased with their leaf blower, and the blower is bonkers powerful, all my guys grab it like 3 times a day to clean saws, walkways, roofs, etc.

Batts charge in about 45 min, so if I had (8) from two kits and an inverter in the truck, limitless runtime vs a gasser which you have to carry about the same weight/space in premix fuel, then you have the starting issues and the dangers of a gas saw with a limited brake.

The way I’ve almost got my wife convinced is using my dad’s old Homelite Super XL with no brake and having the chain spin freely, it’s scary as hell sometimes.

Either leave it running or I’m trying to pull a chord in the front loader of the tractor to cut limbs on big fir trees around my parents place, batt saw sounds better every day!

Last edited:

Bear in NM

Adventurer
Lax,

I finished my ac to dc charging configuration on my van this weekend, and I can confirm that for the Makita double charger you will need a pretty big inverter. My 300 pure sine will run a single Makita charger, but the double needs about 650 watts of inverter. It's a little more difficult to find a quality 750 watt inverter, so I installed a 1000 watt pure sine. It will handle the Makita two battery charge station, as well as my new E-bike charger, which also runs at 650 watts.

I did a test run with 270 watts of solar with a 180 amp hour house battery bank, and with good NM high sun, my house bank would have a hard time running the Makita double charger more than a couple of hours or so, without hitting the battery bank kinda hard. There would no way to do a lot of Makita charging running only your starter battery, unless you were also running your alternator/engine.

So the run time is not quite limitless as far as running things down and recharging. It all depends on how you are set up to charge. It can be done, but the Makita 2 battery charger is about like running a 120v drip coffee maker, or a microwave on low power.

Craig

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
I had to use my 58V Echo saw this weekend cleaning up from Barry. Definitely glad I went with that rather than one of the less powerful saws. It's a beast.

tae73

Observer
I have a 20v Dewalt it does a pretty good job with the 5 amp battery, granted it only has a 12" bar. But it beats having a gas saw inside the jeep to mess with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94