Electric Chain Saw???

Ryan Barnes

Observer
I have a Greenworks Pro 80v and it rips. For the way I use my saw its perfect. I use it every couple months and don't have to worry about mixing gas or adjusting my carb for altitude. For clearing trails and cutting firewood at camp it's just right. My inverter charges batteries in 30 minutes and with two batteries I never run out.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
I'm now just a bit over a year into "going electric" and have not looked back. In fact, I sold my old gas chainsaw at our garage sale last weekend.

The DeWalt 60V unit is just great. I continue to be very impressed with it.

What really astonishes me is the power of the little 20V unit which I have as well. It is so light and easy to handle and really packs a punch. It is absolutely great for creating ATV trails which I do all over my mountain property.

It is so much nicer not to have the saw constantly running. Ditching the ear protection is also very nice. You are able to think over every cut and be much more efficient.

I'm definitely glad I waited to make the switch until Lithium batts were available. I don't think it would be very practical with previous-gen batts.

Bear in NM

Adventurer
I have a ranch that play at, that requires cutting our way to the cabin, for the first trip of the year. We also have occasional trees that fall while up there playing, that have to be cut, to get out. Took my big Stihl up a few weeks ago, and only got half way done before the saw decided to not start. Have it in the shop now. As I needed to finish the job sooner than later, I found this thread and started researching electric saws. My van is complete solar, so charging is no issue.

I picked up a Makita XCU02, which is the "topper" style saw, with side handle, top handle and 12" bar. It is crazy light, and the design with the quick detach bar nut/adjuster gave me the idea that I could store transport with the bar off, as it only to get my van through.takes a minute or two to set up. I ran the saw back up to the ranch, and used it to finish cutting my way in. I had 5 or 6 trees, the largest about 18 inches to get through. The saw performed fantastically. The two 18v batteries were enough to get through everything (I had another pair just in case).

My thoughts on the downsides. It seemed to pitch the chain more easily than my Stihl, but that may have been me not adjusting the bar, or paying better attention. And I had one pitch that "tweaked" one of the drive teeth, rendering that chain non-op ( I need to see if I can straighten it). Given the battery situation, I did not feel comfortable doing excessive cuts and stacking of the offending trees, mostly just cut big enough openings. With the Stihl, I would have made firewood piles. When the tree diameter approaches the short bar length, you do have to really pay attention to the tree angles, etc. Stuff you do with a "proper" saw, but more so with this little beast.

The pro's were what I had hoped. great battery life, more than enough to cut through the typical clutter one might find on a trail. The weight is fantastic. With the bar off, I have the whole kit stored in a cheapy walmart travel suitcase, sized to fit under a plane seat. So it is small. And best of all, it is what I would a "real" saw. Oregon chains, bar oil, plenty of power, proper chain brake etc.

FWIW,

Craig