Electric Chain Saw???

bunger

Adventurer
A few years ago I went all in on Makita battery powered tools. I have the drivers, drills, impacts in 3/8" and 1/2", 4-1/2" grinders and cutoff saws. Haven't used my air powered tools since.
I found that they made a nice compact 12" chain saw and since I was already bringing my impact on trips it made sense to go with Makita chain saw. It's been great for clearing downed branches across trails, etc.

Freebird

Adventurer
Oldie but goodie ~48 inch bow saw.
Hard to find, but no gas, no smell, no electricity, and you put someone on the other end if you need to get serious.
2 people operating it is surprisingly fast and easy, but I certainly don’t recommend one for bringing in next winter’s firewood. Lol
Protect the blade from abuse during storage/travel.... since sharp matters!
Drawback- saw blades getting hard to find anymore.

Link for info: http://www.keep-it-simple-firewood.com/bowsaw-for-cutting-firewood.html

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
I just picked up a small DeWalt 12” chainsaw. It is awesome. 149 bucks (no battery). Works with all the 20/60 flex volts. Will be perfect for throwing in the Jeep. Update: the DeWalt has been performing great ! Just banging around in the back of the Rhino thinning small whispy juniper and piñon and some small Pondo on my property. I am so impressed by the battery life. Oiler leaks pretty much the same as my Stihls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

burningac1d

I found this post interesting the other day - a comparison between battery powered chain saws:

https://wisepick.org/best-cordless-chainsaw/

I have owned and used a Stihl 120 C for about a year now, have been pleased with the performance. It fits nicely in the saw box on the quad and accompanies on most trips to the woods. It has trimmed low hanging lilac, pine, walnut, and maple branches around the yard and really shined in an aerial bucket trimming fencerow limbs back. Recently used it to cut off excess 4X6 posts while deck building, and cut a three day supply of campfire wood while camped out in the U.P. It does not hog large amounts of wood, but used as designed and intended works well. I like the charger, shuts off automatically when battery is fully charged, don't like the tool-less chain tensioner.

Last edited:

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
I had forgotten about this thread. I still have the Stihl electric and plan to keep using it this camping season. My old man was a logger for 20-odd years, so I went camping with him to make sure I didn't kill myself (basic saw instruction). Over a few weekend camping trips our average was two 9-inch lodge poles for one big battery charge (all limbing and bucking included) and since I had two batteries with me it was more than enough. The old man said he was , "really impressed with that saw". That says something from a guy that spend 20 years as a sawyer.

Yes, it still leaks chain oil all over the place. Has anyone found a case that will fit the little Stihl battery models? I've been looking and the only ones I can find are way too big. I'm in a 2-door JK and can't waste that much space.

If I can't find something soon I think I'll have my sheet metal guy make me a galvanized tray with 1-inch soldered edges around the shape of the saw and a tie down system. Then I'll hang it from the roof of the Jeep somehow (in the rear). It will need to hold the batteries too. I'll simply sop up the oil in the tray when it becomes a problem.

Better ideas would be welcome.

Oh, and you will pay for the convenience with Stihl. The top model saw, two big batteries, an extra chain, and fast charger were nearly a grand. The three year warranty (including batteries) made it easier to swallow though.

JackW

Explorer
I bought a Silky Katanaboy 500 folding saw for carrying in my Land Rover D90 - its really impressive. I tried it out cutting through an 8" diameter tree in my back yard that needed to come down and it took less than a minute.
Here in Georgia you are not supposed to use a chain saw in a National Forest unless you've been through a USFS approved course and have all of the safety gear.
This Japanese style saw would be perfect for most of the situations where we've needed a chain saw over the last twenty years. A lot better than an axe....

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I too like folding saws for the small stuff ~ 8" 'though I am partial to a folding bow saw.
...never, yet, needed an ax in the woods so they keep the Hi-lift and spiders company in the corner of the shed...
I have tried small electric chain saws both for yard work and camping and they work fine; their biggest down fall, beside the cord/generator, is that they are nearly as bulky to pack as a small fuel powered saw.

Enjoy!

hemifoot

Observer
love that picture.last time i came across that scenario i wrapped a tow strap around it and winched it off the road.i was probably 75 kilometers up the back side of wells grey park in the middle of nowhere and completely alone.didn't even bother digging out the chainsaw..the wife just sat and took pictures.

JackW

Explorer
This was back in 2006 up at Tellico. We had run up a dead end trail to the top of a nearby mountain - about 8 trucks in a convoy. While we were up on top of the hill fooling around the tree fell across the road with all of us on the wrong side of the tree.
When I came around a corner and saw this I got on the radio to ask if anyone had a chain saw. Denny said - "Yeah - I've got one - back in my tent" which was about six miles away.

So we broke out the axes and cut through the trunk and then attached a snatch block to the tree on the left side of the trail and dragged the top of the tree out of the trail. There was no way we were going to move the whole tree.
And just to be clear we staged that first picture - just as we were about to get all the way through the tree the guys wanted to take that picture.

D

Deleted member 9101

Naw, they are out of each others' reach.

Or...a true power tool that works extremely well. Such as an electric chain saw?

As someone that owns both, I can tell you that the sawzall with a pruning blade will beat the chain saw every time.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
..or just sharpen the chain; 2-3 strokes, per tooth, with a (correct size) chainsaw file can do wonders...
The sawsall with a pruning blade is not the first saw that I reach for.

Enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles