Electric Chain Saw???

dbhost

Just my $0.02 worth.

I live in hurricane territory and need a chain saw at least once a year. Not necessarily due to hurricanes, but very strong thuderstorms, etc...

I bought a Remmington corded electric chainsaw in 2001, it finally died a miserable plastics failure in 2019. A good 18 years. It cut up 2 old sizeable Chinaberry trees, and the my large white oak that was felled by Hurricane Ike in 2008.

There is absolutely no way, and I want to repeat this, no way I would trust even the slightest a battery powered tool for heavy duty work. Battery tech has come a long way in recent years, but there is still so much garbage on the market that I wouldh't even consider it.

I have been borrowing a Poulan Pro 16" gas chainsaw since the electric died. I VERY MUCH want a gasser. Maybe in a few years when battery tech is that much more reliable I would consider it...

geojag

Well I jumped on the E-Saw bandwagon Yesterday with a Milwaukee primarily because I have 2 other M18 Fuel tools and thus spare batteries. So far I am not impressed basing my comparison on Stihl 170 and 250 models. I'm giving it another shot tomorrow and if no change will be returning it. FYI the Milwaukee is much heavier than the Stihl 170 and costs about $100 dollars more. :(
UPDATE It's going back, sticking to Stihl until the E boys up their game or till I get so old all I'm cutting is 4" or less.
Surprised to hear this, I routinely cut 12+ inch hardwood with my Milwaukee Fuel. What batteries were you using? I have several of the 9.0 and 12.0 batteries that I use, I have noticed poor performance with smaller batteries, and I would say that one 9.0 does better than two 5.0 batteries.

WOODY2

Adventurer
Surprised to hear this, I routinely cut 12+ inch hardwood with my Milwaukee Fuel. What batteries were you using? I have several of the 9.0 and 12.0 batteries that I use, I have noticed poor performance with smaller batteries, and I would say that one 9.0 does better than two 5.0 batteries.
I was using 5's. Upon further reflection I think part of my issue is the chain size/pitch. The cutting teeth appear smaller that those on my Stihls? In one review that was very positive they had switched chains and bars to Oregon brand.

geojag

I was using 5's. Upon further reflection I think part of my issue is the chain size/pitch. The cutting teeth appear smaller that those on my Stihls? In one review that was very positive they had switched chains and bars to Oregon brand.
I am running the Oregon chain on the Milwaukee (hear it is really Oregon) bar. I wrecked the original chain through my own fault pretty quickly, maybe that was a blessing in disguise. I think it is similar in cutting to the Stihl pico chains.

WOODY2

Adventurer
I am running the Oregon chain on the Milwaukee (hear it is really Oregon) bar. I wrecked the original chain through my own fault pretty quickly, maybe that was a blessing in disguise. I think it is similar in cutting to the Stihl pico chains.
Ok I'll try an Oregon chain. Do you remember which one?

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
I also 2nd, or 5th getting the Dewalt saw, EXCEPT, I recommend getting the smaller 20V - 12" blade one. It's very compact, uses Oregon blades and the 6 amp battery lasts a loooooong time. It also has a functioning safety brake like a normal saw. I don't know if any other 12" battery saws have that. If that blade is long enough, it will cut it. Plenty of power and it packs way better for Expedition purposes. I also cross over the battery for my drill and air compressor I use on my trips

View attachment 644770

I'm looking at the Ryobi 12" 18v for some of the same reasons you're considering the DeWalt - common battery to 1/2 dozen other Ryobi tools I have and the safety brake. This would primarily be a trail saw so I don't need something to cut down trees with (if the road is that blocked I'll turn around). When we did the ID BDR there were a LOT of 4" diameter trees and limbs over the road and one of these would have been so much better than the axe.

1617139159687.png

WVI

Adventurer
I've been considering the Dewalt as I have other Dewalt tools, but I've come across many reviews about the chain oiler leaking badly when not in use or the oi;er quitting.

roving1

I've been considering the Dewalt as I have other Dewalt tools, but I've come across many reviews about the chain oiler leaking badly when not in use or the oi;er quitting.

I am in the same boat but if I pull the trigger I just figure there is really no reason to leave the oiler full. Just put a little in each time you use it. For the trail clearing and light fire wood processing I am going to use it for I could probably just manually oil the chain and be happy.

I have too much crap to change brands and the performance of the saw otherwise seems to be very good.

Reactions: WVI

Alloy

The Silky 650 I've been using is great for hiking but on my last FSR trip in the truck it took 5 hours to clear a mile of road. Five hours the next day I only made it a 1/2 mile more. By the time I reached a stream that needed rocks stacked up to get the truck across I had enough.

Just bought an EGO with a 16" bar. I'll keep the 650 for back up and while hiking.

The wood is stacked off the ground so it will dry then someone can use it for firewood.

20210401_113413[1].jpg

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I'm looking at the Ryobi 12" 18v for some of the same reasons you're considering the DeWalt - common battery to 1/2 dozen other Ryobi tools I have and the safety brake. This would primarily be a trail saw so I don't need something to cut down trees with (if the road is that blocked I'll turn around). When we did the ID BDR there were a LOT of 4" diameter trees and limbs over the road and one of these would have been so much better than the axe.

View attachment 651754
I have the slightly older 40v one its awesome, Its far more capable than small limbs. Get the 40v saws they are comparable to small gas saws. 18v is still a toy under powered. I added the 40v limb trimmer and just recently added the line trimmer which is probably the most impressive yet goes through ivy and blackberry which I was not expecting.

Wilbah

Adventurer
Does Ryobi still offer battery replacement if you register them? I've never done this as I dont have any Ryobi battery tools (I've always been happy with DeWalt & Milwaukee for battery stuff). But I know a contractor who swears by Ryobi because he said you can get the batteries replaced but it requires registering the tool/battery for warranty when you buy it. That might be a reason to try one over the others if it's still true and you havent sunk money into a competing brand's tools.

I have always just carried a Stihl gas chainsaw. I'll echo the comments that they shouldnt leak (just be careful filling so you dont make a mess), keep them sharp, use ethanol free fuel. I will mix my own if I'm cutting a ton of firewood or trees that are down but for winter/storage I buy premixed. A good sharp saw is worth its weight in gold. Of course I'm usually camping in a full size vehicle so the storage issues aren't a concern. I can see that definitely being an issue for some. In that case I would say try battery seawall.

The benefit of having an 8ft bed is that I need to pack the Stihl 462 with a 28” bar to finish interlocking all the cargo so it doesn’t shift around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles