Electric Chain Saw???

MOguy

Explorer
A while back I got a battery operated say for about $70 on sale from Walmart. It has a 10 inch bar and will cut 2" to 4" limbs / small trees. Light weight and will fit easily across the rack on my 4 wheeler. It is great for clearing trails around my property and small fire wood. Cheap, light and if you expectations aren't too high you will be happy with it.
chain saw.jpg

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I recently upgraded my Ryobi kit with a pair of the 6ah lithium batteries and the 12v charger.

Haven't used 'em much as yet, so don't have much to say other than after replacing the flashlight bulb with a 3w 18v LED off Amazon, then running it 4 hours non-stop, the battery was still at 4 bars. Another 4 hours took it down to 3 bars.

Charger works good. Not sure how long a full charge will take, but I'm gonna guess maybe an hour.

Finally got around to testing this. The 12v charger charged a 6ah 18v battery from dead to full in two hours.

Still no idea exactly how long that bloody flashlight will run the 3w 18v LED from a 6ah battery. According to the math it would be 36 hours and I'm about ready to believe it. I just keep using it and using it...a few minutes here, a few hours there...for months...and still haven't drained the battery all the way.

86scotty

Cynic
..a few minutes here, a few hours there...for months...and still haven't drained the battery all the way.

Yep, this is a hack every camper/overlander should know. We all tend to spend lots of cheddar on fancy lights, just like we do on fancy blades and other gear, but the most effective light is almost the cheapest and we already own it. Just about everyone has a DC battery utility light nowadays from the kit they got with their Dewalt (or whatever brand) drill driver, sawzall, etc. These little lights are amazing. They will put out tons of light seemingly forever. All of the contractors out there know this and have for years but those of us regular folk seldom think about it.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Just ordered a DeWalt chainsaw with 6AH battery and plug-in car charger. Also have a blower (3AH battery) for getting all that dust off the back of my vehicle after going down dirt roads, so I can open the rear hatch and not fill the back with dust, used it many times, works great.

Boatbuilder79

So I got the 12 inch dewalt saw. I got it because it was cheaper than the ryobi.

It is well made and light but it sure seems puny compared to my gas sthil. It did work good for cutting up fallen limbs around my yard but I would not want to rely on it to clear trees out of the road. It will see a lot use trimming limbs for deer hunting.

One tip about battery tools is that you can get an adapter for $20 to use dewalt batteries with ryobi tools. It is a lot more difficult to use ryobi batteries in dewalt stuff.

Last edited:

jgaz

Adventurer
Finally got around to testing this. The 12v charger charged a 6ah 18v battery from dead to full in two hours.

Still no idea exactly how long that bloody flashlight will run the 3w 18v LED from a 6ah battery. According to the math it would be 36 hours and I'm about ready to believe it. I just keep using it and using it...a few minutes here, a few hours there...for months...and still haven't drained the battery all the way.
@dwh At the risk of thread derailment, can I ask in which Ryobi flashlight did you install the replacement LED?
Also, do you have a link to which bulb you installed?

I have this light (P703) and have been looking for a replacement bulb but am seeing mixed reviews.
8B8954F0-31E2-45DC-93B6-6BBFADD34FE9.jpeg
Thanks for the update on the 12volt Charger. I just picked one up.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
large_d1dd9d4d-5571-4b31-9825-64c3f615c6f6.jpg

shade

To get a little more utility out of an electric chainsaw purchase, consider a pole saw. If you haven't used a powered pole saw before, they're very handy, and can make trimming safer if you can manage to avoid dropping a limb on yourself. It'll chew through larger cuts, but the 8"-10" bar length makes it a better fit for smaller things.

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
Since I have a lifted RV with generator, would an electric work better than battery or are they about the same? I would only need to clear overhangs and smaller tress leaning into trail.

shade

Unless you're building or maintaining a trail, the idea of regularly needing a powered saw on trails or while camping is foreign to me.

If I'm understanding your use correctly, you want a saw to trim back smallish limbs that are overhead on trails, blocking your vehicle. I'd much rather grab a saw and get the job done than screw with a cord & generator, and a pole saw would make it easy to reach overhead limbs. With a pole saw, it can also be easier to trim only what's needed, instead of dropping a larger limb or an entire tree, then having to move whatever you cut out of the way.

A good battery powered pole saw costs less than a gasoline powered one, and the only consumable is bar oil and power to recharge the battery.

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
If I'm understanding your use correctly, you want a saw to trim back smallish limbs that are overhead on trails, blocking your vehicle. I'd much rather grab a saw and get the job done

Might be right, actually good hatchet, maybe ax and saw would be fine. Time to get mine sharpened up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94