Electric Brakes for Bantam T3-C, T3, MBT or M100?????

Robert Bills

Explorer
I know aftermarket axles with electric brakes are available to fit just about any trailer and lug pattern, but I am trying to determine whether it is possible/feasible to add electric brakes to a stock Bantam civilian T3-C axle.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the civilian Bantam trailer, it uses an axle with full floating hubs and a 5 on 5 1/2 lug pattern for early Jeep wheels, but no brakes. The military trailers of the era used essentially the same axle, but fitted with drums for a parking brake (same drums and brake shoes as the early Jeep).

Every modification to my trailer has been done in a manner which allows the trailer to be returned to 100% original (i.e., no cutting or welding to the trailer itself, with all removed original parts cleaned, preserved and stored away for potential future re-use). I would prefer to use my original Bantam civilian axle (don't really have room to store it if replaced), or an axle from a WWII T-3, MBT, or M100 so that I can retain the full floating hubs and stock look.

I am familiar with a T3 (or perhaps it's an MBT) in Southern California with hydraulic brakes controlled by the tow rig (1960's era brake controller with piston in the connector to the trailer that actuates a master cylinder mounted on the trailer). However, I want to use modern technology and would prefer true electric brakes rather than electric/hydraulic (although at this stage I will consider any option).

Has anyone done this or seen a Bantam axle modified with electric brakes? Electric/hydraulic with a "modern" brake controller? Either of these set ups with a parking brake feature?

Any and all information, tips or leads will be appreciated.

Thanks.

JJonesee

Observer
On my M-100, the brake system is too small to mount a standard electric brake solenoid to. It is a cam action design. I didnt spend much time taking dimensions, I just know its much smaller than other electirc trailer brakes I have delt with.

I too have been thinking of doing this. There is plenty of room on the back of the drum backing plate to mount a solenoid to.

Robert Bills

Explorer
I've been doing more research, and it appears that the work necessary to adapt Dexter electric brakes to a Bantam axle would be substantial. Enough to be cost/labor prohibitive.

I am now thinking that the most efficient manner in which to address this issue would be to obtain an MBT, T3 or M100 axle which already has backing plates, drum/hub assembly, etc., and use a Dexter DX Electro/Hydraulic Actuator and emergency breakaway kit. This approach would require the addition of the wheel cylinders, etc., in place of the mechanical brake actuating levers for the military parking brake (all readily available standard early Jeep parts), and plumbing new brake lines under the trailer to the Actuator, which wires into the trailer connector and to a brake controller in the tow rig.

Next step, considering how to do this and have a trailer parking brake.

Willman

I'm no help!

I started looking into it....but with up sizing tires with a diff. lug pattern, back spacing,... etc etc......

I just when and got the right axle for my setup!

Good luck on your quest!

Having brakes is one very nice mod!!

;)

Last edited:

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Robert Bills said:
I've been doing more research, and it appears that the work necessary to adapt Dexter electric brakes to a Bantam axle would be substantial. Enough to be cost/labor prohibitive.

I am now thinking that the most efficient manner in which to address this issue would be to obtain an MBT, T3 or M100 axle which already has backing plates, drum/hub assembly, etc., and use a Dexter DX Electro/Hydraulic Actuator and emergency breakaway kit. This approach would require the addition of the wheel cylinders, etc., in place of the mechanical brake actuating levers for the military parking brake (all readily available standard early Jeep parts), and plumbing new brake lines under the trailer to the Actuator, which wires into the trailer connector and to a brake controller in the tow rig.

Next step, considering how to do this and have a trailer parking brake.

Robert

Dexter makes a 10" X 2.5 electric brake with facility for a parking brake. It's not something that suppliers keep in stock but it can be special ordered. They are designed for an axle with a #84 spindle.

We are sourcing them for our trailers in the UK market. They are designated left and right and cost $78.00 each. We'd be happy to order the parts for you.

JJonesee

Observer
I can build an axle with electric brakes for around $200, and get a lug pattern I want.

So this conversion would need to be less than that to justify it for me.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
JJonesee said:
I can build an axle with electric brakes for around $200, and get a lug pattern I want.

So this conversion would need to be less than that to justify it for me.

The parking brake feature isn't that common a part so unfortunately it's a little more expensive. But if you want that feature it works well.

European trailer and Japanese trailer require this feature but they commonly use mechanical override brakes which are problematic off road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles