electric blankets 12V?

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I found your review of the Eluto. Did you publish info on the others you tested? Would love to see the results. Thank you.
No I did not but I can retest the others, One thing I did notice it the Non Timer versions I bought used less power when hooked up to the Dometic PLB 40, Where the Eluto version used between 5 and 9% of the PLB 40's power the non timer version used between 5 and 7%. and when doubled over they really work as good as a Household 240/110v Electric Blanket,

I always forget to turn off the 240v electric blanket and end up waking up when I get to hot so when it comes to the 12v models I think the ones with the Timer are Great for my use, But if you have the one without the Timer and Turn it off when you hit the Sack then they are just as good, Or if you want it on all the time then they are the better Choice because you don't have to keep turning it back om like you do with the Timer Models,

If you want I could always retest them for you,

Hope that helps.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Of course the Legitimate ‘ExPo Guy would connect to an adjustable interval timer. Switching on/off at whatever duty cycle user is comfortable with.
Well they use so little power it really is not needed
The ones with the Timer use 30.62w per cycle on MAX and they have 3 power settings so on Low they will use 20.48Wh and Less.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
when you camp and sleep with an electric blanket is it over you or under you?
With these ones you can do either and Doubled up they get even warmer because it puts twice the number of elements together,

But fold it double and lay on it works to warm a cold bed but if you are cold they make a Great Wrap on a Cold night or for any other time your Cold

tall

No I did not but I can retest the others, One thing I did notice it the Non Timer versions I bought used less power when hooked up to the Dometic PLB 40, Where the Eluto version used between 5 and 9% of the PLB 40's power the non timer version used between 5 and 7%. and when doubled over they really work as good as a Household 240/110v Electric Blanket,

I always forget to turn off the 240v electric blanket and end up waking up when I get to hot so when it comes to the 12v models I think the ones with the Timer are Great for my use, But if you have the one without the Timer and Turn it off when you hit the Sack then they are just as good, Or if you want it on all the time then they are the better Choice because you don't have to keep turning it back om like you do with the Timer Models,

If you want I could always retest them for you,

Hope that helps.
Thanks. I don't think you need to retest for me but if you run across something new, please share. Otherwise, it sounds like both types can work well, I just have to decide whether I lean toward absolute efficiency (no timer) or convenience. I appreciate the info!

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Thanks. I don't think you need to retest for me but if you run across something new, please share. Otherwise, it sounds like both types can work well, I just have to decide whether I lean toward absolute efficiency (no timer) or convenience. I appreciate the info!
Well I have also been playing with Greenhouse/Glasshouse Tube Heaters that run on 110/240v, Depending on the size they range from 45w for the 1 foot model up to 300w for the 6 foot versions, For inside an SUV the 1 foot version would be enough to keep the cold at bay, I tried it out and put it in a Large Box and it got over 45*c in there.

@jadmt Did you ever make a decision here?

That RoadPro is the one I'm currently considering. If my math is correct, two of them (on for 8 hours each) ought to consume around 74 amp hours.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
@jadmt Did you ever make a decision here?

That RoadPro is the one I'm currently considering. If my math is correct, two of them (on for 8 hours each) ought to consume around 74 amp hours.
Thats way too much, The ones I bought use 12.8A in 8 hours.

Even a 240v AC blanket running from a DC to AC Inverter is only going to use 53Ah in 8 hours,

The 12v ones produce more heat if you fold them over and have them either under you or on top of you, I have used them in winter indoors without having the heating On and they worked well.

Purpledawg

Observer
I didn't prepare well for a winter trip and after spending 1 week in agony at 9K feet on a Sierra Emigrant trail... I researched and invested in a -30 down bag, added a closed cell pad tossed the air mat. Pj's became Patagonia Capilene 4 thermals added wool socks and added pasta at dinner. The down bags pack down to next to nothing. Sleep toasty warm now. UnderAmour cold gear is pretty good too. The new Capilene Air is very warm too. No more sucky cold at all.

rruff

Explorer
That's 55W each. Seems about right, and should be enough to keep you pretty warm. I'd want one with adjustable output... do those have that feature?

AERONAUT outdoor

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor
I'll do a plug (no pun intended but I'm happy with it :p) for our quilt - and expo members get $50 off ...

Stay warm, actually comfortably, to 30F (built like a 15F sleeping bag), just toss it on top and you're golden. 2 person, ultra ultra comfy, sleep not like a mummy, and no power or cords to deal with. Or diesel.

Hoverquilt

And 750 goose down, quite soft materials, so it packs down super tiny - no worries about where to put it! just 2.5lbs so a lot of our customers backpack and moto camp with it too

IMG_4977.jpeg

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
We used 12v blankets for 10 years in our teardrop. Underneath works best.
The first one died after 8 years and was replaced with:

Never set it higher than low; the wires got hot if I set it higher.

The teardrop had two 100 ah AGM batteries, a 40L fridge, LED lights, FantasticFan, fed by 100w solar. Coldest nights were single digit temps. Our winter camping with the new Aliner for the past year has been in power sites with a 110v electric mattress cover; we set it to low and turn on the space heater to about 55 degrees. Cozy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pembecreek