El Camino Del Diablo

Reece04

Observer
We just finished the El Camino Del Diablo this past weekend.

What an amazing, scenic trip. This was not my first "overland" style trip, but it was the first major trip in my new 4runner. I was able to travel with some great guys, with impressive rigs. Jimbolio and Vdbazfj have great FJs, Dave had a stock 94 Cherokee and I had my 4runner, and they performed very well... Mostly!

The Trip started out with your typical meetup at a Gas Station, I had met everyone on the trip prior to, but we were not all acquainted. After some brief introductions, meeting the copilots, 2 and 4 legged, we all gassed up and headed off to Ajo, our last chance for Fuel before we hit the trail.

The first night we camped just a little ways onto the trail, pitching my little backpacking tent amongst the RTTs was a little intimidating. Others were in tents and just out on cots. The weather turned out to be very nice, with a nearly full moon. We were only awakened by the racing of Border Patrol vehicles up and down the main road during the night.

We awoke, ate, aired down and hit the road! We stopped at Bates Well to check out the old buildings, corrals and look at all the human traffic sign that had been moving through the area. We then turned our trucks south for Quitobaquito. None of us had been down to this area, but heard there was portions of the original ECDD as well as some grave sites. We were met with a desert oasis! Quitobaquito springs was beautiful and a big surprise to us

We headed back up the trail toward our main road. We pass through the "playa" which kicked up dirt and dust so think that we had to put a lot of distance between us just to be able to see the road! It was like an apocalyptic could following our trucks.

We eventually arrived at Tule Well and signed our names in the log at the cantina, With 3 of the 6 of us having been Scoutmasters, we also had to explore the Boy Scout Monument on the hill next to Tule Well. We then pressed on into Christmas Pass for our camp spot that night. As we climbed a rather rough and rocky section, the lead vehicles (me included) clicked into 4wd, only to hear the bragging voice of the trail vehicle as he exclaimed over the radio that he just did it in 2wd with a trailer! We exchanged our jabs about driver skill and settled into a nice fire and an awesome meal!

The next morning we scratched the (you know what) out of my truck down a very narrow road, as we left the Cabeza Prieta Refuge and entered the Barry Goldwater Air Force Range. We found a crashed F4 Phantom, and a Combat Village open to foot traffic.

We then headed to Betty Lee Tank for lunch! Then off to our Camp site for the evening.

The next day we found tanks, which of course made us feel like little kids pretending to blow each other up! and a quick lunch stop at Fortuna Mine. As we made the last leg out off the trail, tragedy struck... A fuel pump went out on one of the vehicles. After a few hours of nursing we got it to the end of the trail where it was towed on the black top all the way home to Tucson!

All in all it was an awesome trip and I can't wait to hit the trail again with these guys!

Last edited:

ZMagic97

Explorer
Sweet trip! I've been wanting to go for a while but every time it seems I have people interested they back out. I really want to see some of those planes, tanks..etc on the BMG range.

jimbolio

Observer
This was my first trip with my m100 off road trailer. And besides a nut vibrating off, and a shock hanging down it performed well.

DSC_0586_zpsynwf3di3.jpg

DSC_0626_zpskpfqdmtu.jpg

You'll have to wait until the Cabeza Prieta NWR opens up again in July (Not recommended) to do this trip as we did. The pronghorn antelope fawning season closes a significant part of the run from March 15 - July 15. It won't be 'livable' out there again until late October. (And even then it can be 100 degrees on the Camino.

You need permits for the Organ Pipe National Monument, The Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge and the Barry M Goldwater Gunnery Range.
These can be obtained for free at the Phoenix BLM office, the OPNM office in AJO, the USMC Airstation range pass in Yuma OR by following the link below and handling it by mail.
Here's the link to the passes you will need
http://www.mcasyuma.marines.mil/StaffandAgencies/Range.aspx

You need to get a pass for every person (Not just vehicles) and you have to call that in before you enter any of the above.

This was one of the most fun runs (Other than the end) I have done to the ECDD.
Great food: Shake and bake Chicken & Green chile potatoes cooked in the dutch ovens.
DSC_0591_zpscglbwbbn.jpg

Really cool Combat Base training area:
DSC_0653_zpsfz8wzzuc.jpg

This thing was plywood on a canvas track. It was perched on what had to be an old jeep. Maybe they push it around, maybe it runs and they remote control it, but there was no driver hatch to get in it.
DSC_0649_zps6wm24o3o.jpg

Great Camp spots
DSC_0607_zpsmiw45xdn.jpg

This was a 221 (dirt) Mile Trip, 130 paved miles from Tucson to AJO. Used every drop of extra gas we had with us. The only bummer was the loss of a fuel pump in my FJ about 5 miles from the end of the trail in Yuma. We nursed it along until I made it under my own power to the end, but there was no way it was making it the 245 miles back to Tucson. SO, Here's the bummer part:
20160228_152908_zps4d1b5zvv.jpg

Amazingly (Well, makes sense since there are the imperial dunes to the west and lots of RV driving snowbirds) the UHAUL place at Fortuna Rd / I8 is open 24 hours/ 365 days a year, and they have car haulers in abundance. Lucky me.

Last edited:

yotes65

Observer
This was my first trip with my m100 off road trailer. And besides a nut vibrating off, and a shock hanging down it performed well.

Here's the link to the passes you will need
http://www.mcasyuma.marines.mil/StaffandAgencies/Range.aspx

Wish I could have join you guys... Was this the same trip (time frame wise) that Progolfer_20 was putting together?

Can't wait until I have fully recovered from my ankle surgery... I'm sick & tried of reliving everyone else's adventures. :)

F40

Adventurer
I was expecting to scroll to the bottom and see the Cherokee fuel pump had ceased to function. Didn't expect it to be the Precious.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Great to see you guys enjoying this run, I love the Devils Highway...didn't know about a few of the things you found so looks like a fall return trip for me.

thanks for the pics and writeup

Reece04

Observer
Hah! I was thinking the same thing.

That stock jeep was super impressive. He was running P rated street tires, and a completely stock suspension. We kept calling out over the radio, "is he still back there?" and then we would see him chugging down the trail. A testament to what these vehicles can truly do even stock!

F40

Adventurer
That stock jeep was super impressive. He was running P rated street tires, and a completely stock suspension. We kept calling out over the radio, "is he still back there?" and then we would see him chugging down the trail. A testament to what these vehicles can truly do even stock!

Happens to the best of us. When I went to Jackson Cabin with Jimbolio my rear bumper decided to try and part ways with my Cherokee.

Reece04

Observer
Happens to the best of us. When I went to Jackson Cabin with Jimbolio my rear bumper decided to try and part ways with my Cherokee.

Haha, well that's a little unnerving! I'm heading to Jackson Cabin with Jimbolio in April! I would like to keep my entire truck with me! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier