El Camaleon Azul. an '08 V8 4x4 T4R built to go.....

zidaro

Explorer
All this shallow snow with fun rocks hidden under! Ive got Lockers, a V8, and 33's!!
Such a blast, why would i be wasting my time under the front end??

49B95206-94DB-411D-A0AF-936DBD55777E_zpshwrdemqq.jpg

to bring resolutuion! cuz i know you've all been on the edge of your keyboards awaiting :coffee:

We were up Wheeler Crest in the shallow snow playing, on the last hill before the Top. Some will recognize, those that have been here, that is about 5-6mi up the trail with some decent challenging terrain- no Rubicon, but I've got some scrapes on my skids and we used lockers and were aired down to 7psi for sure, esp. with the snow.
Was spinning up a hill in snow when my PS dropped into a little hole and then pounded against a nice big rock on the way out. FUN!!! except for the lack of forward motion resulting. Engaged the rear locker- nothing. Engaged the front locker and we had movement, except with a huge clunking and grinding outta the PS front. Guess what?? Shattered a CV outer.

pics from back at home-
IMG_6844_zpsi2lcpz2x.jpg

IMG_6845_zpsvovtymw8.jpg

IMG_6846_zpsnwpwdk2e.jpg

this CV does happen to NOT be OEM, and from an unknown source. Maybe THAT was the reason? Or maybe i was just doing things CV's aren't able to withstand :sombrero:
So atleast now i can correct that :)

So, prepared as i was- i had no spare. Luckily we had a pile of nylon tie downs and a couple large hose clamps. I repositioned the cv in its shattered basket, wrapped a tight bundle of tie down around the remnants of said basket and used a hose clamp around that to REALLY ;) secure it all in place.
the hack-job repair allowed me to cripple down the trail very slowly, trying not to turn so the cv wouldn't bind and catch on the straps. Every 15min. or so, strap would snag on the cv and tear itself apart, throwing the cv into a whirlybird. Stop, glove up, untangle, reset cv, rewind. Repeat!!!
Took me over 4 hours to go 35miles. but i made it down my driveway under my own power.

That said- if i wold have had a spare CV and gear oil, (did have an actual tool bag with adequate tools) i could have changed it out on the trail in easily less than 2hours.

At home i parked it and called up http://www.cvjreman.com for a couple of their remanufactured OEM CVs, with upgraded silicone inner boots and OEM outers.. Sexy and OEM. AND- now i have a spare :)

Cleaned up and ready to go!
minimal damage considering the whirlybird that was going on. I think the key was super slow speeds <10mph even on hwy, and stopping immediately when the CV jumped out of my strap basket.
Only scraped off a light layer of metal on the backside of the disc caliper and the shock post, did not snag the brake or ABS lines like it could have.

IMG_6849_zps8n4vnlci.jpg

IMG_6848_zpsbxbmi0uh.jpg

seal that is backside on spindle facing the CV. good to have in your CV repair kit.
IMG_6847_zpsow8qja5u.jpg

all buttoned up. Did the Driver side too

IMG_6852_zpslinlni7j.jpg

Dog days!

IMG_6854_zpswethf18t.jpg

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Nice improvisation to get home! And those new CVs should be good for a long time!

Would it had been an option to remove the broken CV and drive out with only the other one?

zidaro

Explorer
Would it had been an option to remove the broken CV and drive out with only the other one?

Maybe- if there was a plug/slug to seal the diff. where the CV would have been removed, and i had extra diff. fluid and that silly pump- to refill. Maybe you could tape a tennis ball against the seal? in a pinch.

I don't think any damage would occur on the diff. side.

On the spindle side- if you pull the axle out of the spindle i would imagine there would be a loss of integrity at the hub/bearing, as there would be nothing supporting the bearing. also nothing protecting the inner hub/bearing from the elements.(although you could shove a rag in there?)
You would, however, need to lock/engage the center diff (button on dash with the full-time 4wd models) to direct power to the rear when front is spinning. Truck will not move without that center diff engaged (or the front ARB engaged) if the front is non-functional. No power to the rear.

anyone else have input?

Dmski

Adventurer
Really enjoyed reading through your build and seeing all the photos! Great 4runner you have there! I get jealous of all the trails and scenery down south, but I can't complain with being in Washington either.

zidaro

Explorer
Added a few items to the Prinsu rack.

Paddle board rack- Thule

Using Warrior Products Hi Lift mount. VERY solid mount and it locks. Fits great using 1/4-20 carriage bolts

IMG_7992_zpse6yu3kzw.jpg

IMG_7993_zpsfchrbxep.jpg

IMG_7994_zpsrqpadivb.jpg

IMG_7995_zpsnhudusad.jpg

Mounted up my TredPro mats using simple carriage bolts (1/4-20 at 2.5"long) and some rubber pads, bought some SS loop nuts off amazon(like the ones Prinsu sells) so it can be removed easily.

IMG_7996_zpssxvzfpf5.jpg

All is secure and solid. Have something somewhere up there rattling like hell on washboard that is driving me crazy! I "think" its the HiLift jack mechanism shaking around, but it "looks" like the rack itself is wobbling L/R thru my sunroof, and that could be the noise. Maybe it cant handle weight? Noise disappears with no hiLift. Don't hear it with 2 paddle boards and the Treds?
More investigation required!

Kpack

Adventurer
I'll bet it's the Hi-Lift making the noise. I recently mounted mine inside the bed of the truck and it is extremely solid, also with a handle keeper. The mechanism and foot rattle around like crazy though. Right now I'm experimenting with securing those parts with bungee cords. If you come up with a better way let me know!

zidaro

Explorer
I'll bet it's the Hi-Lift making the noise. I recently mounted mine inside the bed of the truck and it is extremely solid, also with a handle keeper. The mechanism and foot rattle around like crazy though. Right now I'm experimenting with securing those parts with bungee cords. If you come up with a better way let me know!

you were right. HiLift foot and mechanism. I solved the foot easy enough, cut a bicycle tube section out, removed the foot and then slipped the tube in around the foot as i replaced it onto the bar. TIGHT and no rattle. The mechanism-- so far i just tip tied the ******t out of it so it doesn't rattle. Fixed my issue, now i just need a long term simple way to shut it up.

pics of any soltns to follow :)

zidaro

Explorer
Scored a set of these for a great price. Barely rubbed on the pavement and the guy decided he needed a larger size! 35x12.5x17 Toyo MT

Tired of patching and replacing my Coopers. They just don't hold up to real use. AMAZING on dirt roads and snow covered pavement- I will say that!!

IMG_2815_zpsyesih5va.jpeg

IMG_2816_zpsh8sff1fa.jpeg

Now! i just need to figure how to fit them in that rear pocket they call a wheel well!

Kpack

Adventurer
you were right. HiLift foot and mechanism. I solved the foot easy enough, cut a bicycle tube section out, removed the foot and then slipped the tube in around the foot as i replaced it onto the bar. TIGHT and no rattle. The mechanism-- so far i just tip tied the ******t out of it so it doesn't rattle. Fixed my issue, now i just need a long term simple way to shut it up.

pics of any soltns to follow :)

You have a pic of how you worked the bike tube? The foot on mine is still rattling around like crazy.

Adventurous

Explorer
Glad to see this thing is still alive. Now that I don't own a Yota anymore, I hardly spend any time in this forum, but I always come back hoping you have some new content. Keep up the good work!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles