Eighteen months in the making... here's the book: Building a Teardrop Trailer: Plans and Methods for Crafting an Heirloom Camper

Teardropper

Someone else has put a review up on Amazon, although, it is really more a review about you, rather than your book! :cool:

I too saw that. Fortunately, I can't control reviews. :cool:

I've got good feedback from a handful of others on it so, hopefully, there will be some reviews about the books soon. At least now you can read the first 22 pages with the Look Inside feature.

There are some really horrible books on building teardrops.

Tony

1000arms

I too saw that. Fortunately, I can't control reviews. :cool:

I've got good feedback from a handful of others on it so, hopefully, there will be some reviews about the books soon. At least now you can read the first 22 pages with the Look Inside feature.

There are some really horrible books on building teardrops.

Tony

Well, it an honest review, written with respect, and intended to convey the message "Get this book!". Kinda tough to argue with, and right (write? :cool: ) to the point.

Someone else has written a second review on Amazon.

"More about the author" isn't showing on Amazon yet.

Well, there is now at least one good book out there on teardrop trailers, my copy of Building a Teardrop Trailer: Plans and Methods for Crafting an Heirloom Camper arrived today! Easy to read print, direct and to the point, full of useful information, and designed to enable the reader to be successful in creating a well-built teardrop-trailer.

Yes, I did some speed reading to skim through your book. :)

I think it needs a short introduction to what teardrop trailers are and why someone would want one right at the beginning, as a selling point to buy the book (and preferably before the mention of the author's blood! :cool: ) for anyone who know little or nothing about teardrop trailers. Make it easy for someone to buy this book as a gift!

I also received First Overland: London-Singapore by Land Rover today, unfortunately it was a different order, so might not show up as "Frequently bought together" with your book on Amazon. :( :cool:

Last edited:

Teardropper

"More about the author isn't showing on Amazon yet" If you click on the name, it'll take you to my other books and then click again on my name and it'll take you to my author page. It takes time for Amazon to link everything together.

"I think it needs a short introduction to what teardrop trailers are and why someone would want one right at the beginning..."

I defined what a teardrop is in the chapter on design considerations and their advantages over the Jayco type trailers. I was admittedly short and to the point about that. And as you know, the purpose of this book isn't to promote teardrop trailers, it's for the person that already has an interest in them and is interested in building something that isn't going to fall apart.

Please keep your feedback coming. (y)

Tony

1000arms

"More about the author isn't showing on Amazon yet" If you click on the name, it'll take you to my other books and then click again on my name and it'll take you to my author page. It takes time for Amazon to link everything together.

"I think it needs a short introduction to what teardrop trailers are and why someone would want one right at the beginning..."

I defined what a teardrop is in the chapter on design considerations and their advantages over the Jayco type trailers. I was admittedly short and to the point about that. And as you know, the purpose of this book isn't to promote teardrop trailers, it's for the person that already has an interest in them and is interested in building something that isn't going to fall apart.

Please keep your feedback coming. (y)

Tony

When I first looked up your book, I checked your name for other books on Amazon, and read "More about the author. I knew you had set it up, which is why I have been suggesting you add it to your teardrop trailer book. I forget how slow Amazon can be on some things. :cool:

I'm going to sandbag you here. :) Yes, you wrote a book to help people build a teardrop-trailer "that isn't going to fall apart", but, why are you limiting your book to only helping people that are already interested in building their own teardrop trailer? Some form of discrimination on your part, that you are unwilling to help people who don't know why a teardrop-trailer might be great for them? :cool:

From what I've read, your life has been about service and helping people, and I know your book was written to help people successfully make a well-built teardrop-trailer, so, please make it easy for people who are only thinking of building to buy your book for the knowledge and experience contained within. Let people who don't even know what a teardrop trailer is be drawn in to the idea of learning from your book. Make it easy for people to buy and give as a gift to someone they think might be interested in teardrop-trailers.

One simple paragraph should do it, a condensed version of what is on the back cover. Maybe on page vii, the blank page before the mentioning of blood on the floor. :)

Your book, your call, but you did write, "There are some really horrible books on building teardrops." and I'm doing what I can to help a good one get out there and be easy to find!

bglenden

Is the trailer presented in the book rugged enough for rougher than "easy" forest service roads, say like Imogene pass in Colorado?

Teardropper

Is the trailer presented in the book rugged enough for rougher than "easy" forest service roads, say like Imogene pass in Colorado?

Yes. We boondock. It's a rare event when we use a campground so it's all about off-pavement camping. Paved roads are for getting to the dirt roads.

Here's our previous teardrop. Structurally, they are the same.

5OOqaPB.jpg

ojNKllV.jpg

lv7czZm.jpg

6VpEAtX.jpg

esAu3Fq.jpg

ADlpard.jpg

The only reason I built this new one was to write the book. Other than a change in the galley and the exterior coating, it's the same. (Plus installing a Propex heater so I could write that chapter too.)

5xP3nPQ.jpg

SiPFaz7.jpg

Tony

Last edited:

Teardropper

Here's a quick video of how things fit together. The bulkheads and headboard cross members fit in 7/8" dados in the walls which add considerable strength to the cabin.

Note the ledge on the walls. The headliner is pre-finished on the bench, set in place and then the spars are installed on top of it. Not visa-versa. Besides an easier installation of the headliner, the method makes for a tight interior joint.

zfranGS.jpg

Tony

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
Just ordered a copy. I do some light woodworking but haven't tackled anything larger than a night stand (although it is a Craftsman style and only took me about 6 months :) ), but I have to support my Idaho brethren. I've been thinking about a teardrop so maybe this will push me more in that direction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shevy5000