Efficient 12 Volt Cabin Air Filtration (WILDFIRES!)

erstwild

Does anyone have experience with any efficient 12 volt cabin air filtration systems? The wildfire smoke out here in Northern California is tough for full timers.

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
Get a Merv 12-15 filter and small box fan. Use an inverter. A true HEPA 13 filteris better if you can find it, but prices are through the roof.

Another option is a HEPA canister vacuum filter and muffin fan of appropriate diameter (and cover plate)...the trick about the DC muffin fan is finding one capable of high static pressure. Garden variety computer fans aren't going to cut it.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

1000arms

Does anyone have experience with any efficient 12 volt cabin air filtration systems? The wildfire smoke out here in Northern California is tough for full timers.
Get a Merv 12-15 filter and small box fan. Use an inverter. A true HEPA 13 filteris better if you can find it, but prices are through the roof.

Another option is a HEPA canister vacuum filter and muffin fan of appropriate diameter (and cover plate)...the trick about the DC muffin fan is finding one capable of high static pressure. Garden variety computer fans aren't going to cut it.
Although space and an inverter would be needed, you might consider an intake filter and follow with:

From the above links is a fairly high pressure fan:

Keep in mind that simply having a high CFM isn't enough to overcome the resistance of the filter(s). The fan will need to be capable of high static pressure.

@erstwild, you might want to share what vehicle(s) you need to filter the air in. Doing so might enable one of the many creative forum members to suggest a low cost solution that would fit your particular needs.

erstwild

Although space and an inverter would be needed, you might consider an intake filter and follow with:

From the above links is a fairly high pressure fan:

Keep in mind that simply having a high CFM isn't enough to overcome the resistance of the filter(s). The fan will need to be capable of high static pressure.

@erstwild, you might want to share what vehicle(s) you need to filter the air in. Doing so might enable one of the many creative forum members to suggest a low cost solution that would fit your particular needs.

Thanks for some great ideas right out of the gate. Sure, here is my rig:

D

Deleted member 9101

12v box fan and a A/C filter taped to the back.

dreadlocks

Yeah google DIY Cabon Filter, tons of small scale closet pot growers have built exactly what your looking for with a couple pen holders, panty hose and aquarium carbon.. but for 12v you'll wanna use like a Marine Bilge Blower

set it up scrub the air, try to seal up as good as you can and run the fan w/just a filter that circulates and keeps running the air through the filter.

edit: https://bestseedbank.com/diy-micro-grow-carbon-filter/

1000arms

Yeah google DIY Cabon Filter, tons of small scale closet pot growers have built exactly what your looking for with a couple pen holders, panty hose and aquarium carbon.. but for 12v you'll wanna use like a Marine Bilge Blower

set it up scrub the air, try to seal up as good as you can and run the fan w/just a filter that circulates and keeps running the air through the filter.

Thanks for some great ideas right out of the gate. Sure, here is my rig:

You are welcome.

For adult humans (usually won't fit kids or pets) for the short term:

I suggest you consider how quickly you would like a working filter, your budget, your access to parts, whether you have access to enough power to drive a given system, and how many people/pets you are filtering the air for.

Keep in mind that you might decide to permanently mount things, or, you might tape things together to start (and then perhaps think of a permanent solution).

You may want to filter all of the air going in to your camper, or just filter the air within the camper (like an air purifier) and sit/sleep near the outtake of the filtration system. (The second doesn't require any holes through your camper shell.)

Furnace filters are fairly cheap depending on type of filtration capability, come in many sizes, and are usually fairly close in cost despite the size variations. They can be used to start the filtration and protect the fan and can filter.

From the start of the intake, you might consider:

To catch the general stuff in the air and protect the more expensive filters (and fan):

Next: "ATTRACTS AND CAPTURES particles such as lint, pollen, dust, pet dander, smoke and smog"

Next:
"
  • ATTRACTS AND CAPTURES microscopic particles such as smoke, cough and sneeze debris, bacteria and viruses--and large particles, including lint, household dust and pollen
  • 2800 MPR has a rating of MERV 14
  • The higher the MPR, the more microparticles--such as pollen, pet dander, smoke, bacteria and viruses--your filter will capture from the air passing through it
"

Fan (protected by intake filters):

Final filter to end chain:

1000arms

You are welcome.

For adult humans (usually won't fit kids or pets) for the short term:

I suggest you consider how quickly you would like a working filter, your budget, your access to parts, whether you have access to enough power to drive a given system, and how many people/pets you are filtering the air for.

Keep in mind that you might decide to permanently mount things, or, you might tape things together to start (and then perhaps think of a permanent solution).

You may want to filter all of the air going in to your camper, or just filter the air within the camper (like an air purifier) and sit/sleep near the outtake of the filtration system. (The second doesn't require any holes through your camper shell.)

Furnace filters are fairly cheap depending on type of filtration capability, come in many sizes, and are usually fairly close in cost despite the size variations. They can be used to start the filtration and protect the fan and can filter.

From the start of the intake, you might consider:

To catch the general stuff in the air and protect the more expensive filters (and fan):

Next: "ATTRACTS AND CAPTURES particles such as lint, pollen, dust, pet dander, smoke and smog"

Next:
"
  • ATTRACTS AND CAPTURES microscopic particles such as smoke, cough and sneeze debris, bacteria and viruses--and large particles, including lint, household dust and pollen
  • 2800 MPR has a rating of MERV 14
  • The higher the MPR, the more microparticles--such as pollen, pet dander, smoke, bacteria and viruses--your filter will capture from the air passing through it
"

Fan (protected by intake filters):

Final filter to end chain:

Keep in mind that system I listed parts for will filter a lot out of the air. It may be far more than you need.

Remember to check the intake filter often while in wildfire smoke, and change as needed to keep the air flowing well.

Remember to check your vehicle air filter often while in wildfire smoke, and change/clean as needed.

Stay safe! :)

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
You guys are overthinking this....keep it simple. Vacuum canister HEPA filter and muffin fan... works great for smaller spaces (like a 10x10 room). Merv 13-15 square furnace filter (a small one) and a couple of larger muffin fans - done. I've done this for several times with comms enclosures and ruggedized equipment installations. Sorry I don't have part numbers...a RV/expo rig is a small space. Keep the fan on recirc when it is thick.

1000arms

You guys are overthinking this....keep it simple. Vacuum canister HEPA filter and muffin fan... works great for smaller spaces (like a 10x10 room). Merv 13-15 square furnace filter (a small one) and a couple of larger muffin fans - done. I've done this for several times with comms enclosures and ruggedized equipment installations. Sorry I don't have part numbers...a RV/expo rig is a small space. Keep the fan on recirc when it is thick.

:unsure:

... For adult humans (usually won't fit kids or pets) for the short term:

Keep in mind that system I listed parts for will filter a lot out of the air. It may be far more than you need. ... Remember to check the intake filter often while in wildfire smoke, and change as needed to keep the air flowing well. ... Remember to check your vehicle air filter often while in wildfire smoke, and change/clean as needed. ... Stay safe! :)

@vtsoundman, I don't think we are overthinking it at all. :cool:

I do think you might be under-thinking it, when you seem to have forgotten your own advice regarding the need for a fan with a high enough static pressure, and when you seem to think "re-circulation" will work for oxygen breathing human(s) (and possible pets) in thick wildfire smoke. :)

I even managed to link to fans designed to move air through restrictive filters. :cool:

Stay safe!

erstwild

Wow, thanks for all the feedback everyone. I think I will be experimenting with an affordable compromise option first:

Prefilter->HEPA Filter->Activated Carbon Filter

$60 all together for handling small spaces well with reasonable power and easy to store it would seem. I figure to set the roof fan on the lowest intake setting and run this.

Still, this is serving as a great reminder for my next rig to build a complete air treatment system. Roof fans like MaxxAir are very slick most of the time but obviously do not address air quality (Smoke, Dust Storms, etc.) at all.

Those Can-Fans look great and pretty affordable.

erstwild

I think I would mount one of these:

Prefilter plus a MERV-13 filter (can-filter only has a MERV-5 equivalent of this so this would seem much better for filtering the dangerous particulates which carbon filters do not even touch, unfortunately. Then I would get a can-fan of the correct diameter and then a carbon filter.

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer

@vtsoundman, I don't think we are overthinking it at all. :cool:

I do think you might be under-thinking it, when you seem to have forgotten your own advice regarding the need for a fan with a high enough static pressure, and when you seem to think "re-circulation" will work for oxygen breathing human(s) (and possible pets) in thick wildfire smoke. :)

I even managed to link to fans designed to move air through restrictive filters. :cool:

Stay safe!
Muffin fans can be had with high static pressure stats. My comments didn't preclude my later statements.

KISS - a fan (proper) with a filter (proper) does wonders for indoor air quality.

1000arms

... For adult humans (usually won't fit kids or pets) for the short term:

Keep in mind that system I listed parts for will filter a lot out of the air. It may be far more than you need. ... Remember to check the intake filter often while in wildfire smoke, and change as needed to keep the air flowing well. ... Remember to check your vehicle air filter often while in wildfire smoke, and change/clean as needed. ... Stay safe! :)
@vtsoundman, I don't think we are overthinking it at all. :cool: ... I do think you might be under-thinking it, when you seem to have forgotten your own advice regarding the need for a fan with a high enough static pressure, and when you seem to think "re-circulation" will work for oxygen breathing human(s) (and possible pets) in thick wildfire smoke. :) ... I even managed to link to fans designed to move air through restrictive filters. :cool: ... Stay safe!
Muffin fans can be had with high static pressure stats. My comments didn't preclude my later statements.

KISS - a fan (proper) with a filter (proper) does wonders for indoor air quality.

:unsure: ... :cool:

Well @vtsoundman, I suggest that you think about the wildfire dangers of small particles and VOCs, that you think about removing small particles with the intake filter(s), that you think about removing VOC's with the carbon filter, and that you think about the need for the need for oxygen replenishment when oxygen breathing lifeforms are in a small volume box. :cool:

If you aren't
willing to think about things, well, either way, I hope @erstwild does! :)

The following links contain some information regarding wildfire small particles and VOCs:

Oh, @vtsoundman, I think you might have missed an earlier link of mine, you seem to like to KISS things, so you can KISS this one: https://www3.epa.gov/airnow/smoke_fires/respiratory-protection-508.pdf :cool:

Stay safe! :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior