Efficiency - Why walk back to get your sand ladders?

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Well I was on youtube looking up various videos by Ray Mears and found this one about sand driving. He's got some great tips but on in particular that I enjoyed was tying off his sand ladders so that he did not have to go back and get them. Brilliant!

View here.

Cheers,
P

FlyNdrive

Adventurer
Clever trick. I will do this next time.

DSCN4042.jpg

Yes, I did it on purpose. It was an extreme recovery demo.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
Don't ask how I know this but the best thing about this approach is the people who were evicted from the truck to dig it out and walk behind it can surf on the sand ladders after the truck gets moving. This also works really well on deep mud. The most important requirement is to make sure the rope is strong enough because if it breaks and the driver doesn't notice (usually claiming that it was too risky to stop and get stuck again) you may have to carry the sand ladder for half a mile through deep mud which is what you were trying to avoid in the first place. Of course I do not condone this behavior. :sombrero:

Cheers,
Graham

adventurebuddies

Adventurer
using the ropes to tow the sand ladders is a great idea, but i would much rather go through the "hassle" (as he calls it) of airing down than getting out my sand ladders.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
This is nothing new. Experienced desert drivers have been doing it for many years.
It was even mentioned in Cruising the Sahara by Gerard Morgan-Grenville in '74.
It's interesting to see old tricks "discovered". ;)

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
using the ropes to tow the sand ladders is a great idea, but i would much rather go through the "hassle" (as he calls it) of airing down than getting out my sand ladders.

I agree that the correct thing to do is air down but I though that the trick was usefull.

This is nothing new. Experienced desert drivers have been doing it for many years.
It was even mentioned in Cruising the Sahara by Gerard Morgan-Grenville in '74.
It's interesting to see old tricks "discovered". ;)

I'm about to get very well aquainted with sand driving and will need all the "new" tricks I can find! :sombrero:

Thanks for the post P.

To be honest with you I had never heard of Ray Mears. After watching the sand ladder video I wound up watching quite a few of his other YouTube videos, some of them are quite enjoyable and informative.

Thanks again.

absolute

Adventurer
I have the Ray Mears Extreme Survival Series 1&2 DVD and they are great!

They are worth checking out!

RgrBox

Adventurer
I took one of his Bushcraft Courses several years ago near Turnbridge Wells, UK.. Was a good course.. now I teach the Bushcraft Survival stuff myself. But on a small scale.. not in it for the bucks, but for th eexcuse to get out with people in the woods.. I love being outdoors, and love getting others involved.. this way I can help those who do get out to keep from getting into trouble, and not causing problems while out there.. around here after a Sunday afternoon, you can drive around a find fire rings built with a fire still going in it.. people just don't get it..

RB

Oh, I saw this method also in one of his vids.. kool method.. he goes and leads tours in Namibia every year 4x4ing.. I though about giving it a try myself, but way too much money..

RgrBox

Adventurer
Here's his web site..

http://www.raymears.com/

I advise everyaone interested in the outdoors ot take a Bushcraft, Outdoor Education Course, Survival or Outdoor Living Course to do so. Sure many of these course will lighten your pocket book, but they will also lighten your rucksack, your 4x4 and your worries of un-needed kit and equipment. I can remember after the Army, 10 years, I arrived here in Switzerland and was about to go on a backpackign weekend. I found an old Packing List from y army days, and looked threw it at all fo the stuff I carried with me.. I realized that I after the Extra Ammo, Breacher's Kit, NVGs, Bayonet, LBE, Helmet, extra Radio batteries 60mm rounds etc.. I didn't have much in refernece to comfort items, except for a poncho liner, foam sleeping pad, extra socks, rations, flashlight and water.. so I tend to carry a lot less with me know. That ans the fact that I have had the chance ot get back to nature and learn what I can use outdoors. I spent several days outdoor a few Winters ago with just a small shoulder bag, and Swiss Army Wool Blanket. I was cold, but I survived. I built what I needed, and was able ot make a great warm fire for me and my buddy.. also a student of mine.. so I advise everyone who get's outdoors to learn how o live outdoors, those mechanical items you bring out with you will only get you so far.. so be prepared.. K.I.S.S.

Keep It Simple Stupid.

RB

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Note----do not try with the fiberglass grating type sand ladders..as after the vehicle has pressed them 3 " down into the sand they do not come out easily.

more than likely bringing you to a swift halt, or worse with them rapidly catching up with the truck.

Good method for sand ladders that don't imbed themselves.

I have the grating type and have added 2ft long rope handles as both finding them and extracting them after use is dificult depending on the ground

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
While airing down is a known, effective technique, it is best done before you get stuck. Also, depending on how much it may have caused the rear diff to dig in which would have made the situation worse. There's always a trade off..
Boy how I do love the sound of a Rover TDI though!
Jason T.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior