Eeziawn or Howling Moon, Tepui or CVT

jgatliff

Father, Husband, Outdoorsman, & Adventurer.
i am in need of some advice. I am looking for a larger RTT for my wife and I and our one year old daughter to use camping. According to my research howling moon or eeziawn are probably the best RTTs on the market. But which one is better? Are they worth the higher cost over Tepui or CVT?
Thank you,
Jason

stingray1300

Explorer
If money is no object, the Eezi Awn is top notch. I looked at them seriously. The sticker shock knocked me on my can ($3500 as of almost 2 years ago. No telling how much they are now)

I looked into CVT and ran into too many "issues" to proceed. Then I was steered to Tepui. I've never looked back. I got the Gran Sabana (the largest one - 4 person) with an annex room. $1800 for a top quality product. Plus, Tepui's customer service is some of the best I've ever seen. www.tepuitents.com Talk with them about what makes their tents different from others.

HTH!

Hoghead

Observer
I went with the CVT Mt. Rainer. Got it during this years group buy. Very happy with it. I had great customer service from CVT.

chaingangster

Observer
CVT = customer service

We bought a CVT (mt hood) a bit over a year ago to continue camping with our two small children. We've used it an average of about one trip per month since then. It suits our needs and we've been mostly happy with it. However we were having trouble with the tent when opening it. It worked, but required some pushing and prying to get the tongue and groove joint to interface properly when the tent was folded out. Not the end of the world, but it did cause frustration every time we opened the tent. I thought maybe that was just the way it was, and that was what we got for not buying a top of the line mega-buck South African tent.

Well I finally decided to take the tent by CVT to see what they had to say. Honestly I wasn't expecting much more than "that's the way it is, sorry". Bobby, the owner of CVT, asked to keep my tent to check it out and attempt to fix it. A few days later I went back to pick up my tent and was instead presented with a brand new tent! It turns out the original couldn't be fixed satisfactorily, so it was exchanged for a new one.

Bobby and the crew at CVT went above and beyond the level of customer service that I expected. They stand behind their products. The new tent works perfectly (so easy to open now) and has a few updates and improvements over the old tent. Bobby even threw in some swag for our trouble. We are satisfied customers and would definitely recommend a CVT in terms of both product AND customer service.

mtaylor

Observer
And then there is me, two of my friends have CVT tents and they have had nothing but trouble dealing with the customer service (and one of the tents leaks pretty badly).

surferdude78

Observer
We have a Tepui Kukenam Ruggedized & love it. I considered the African tents but couldn't justify the expense. I'll also chime in by seconding Tepui's customer service which I've found to be nothing short of excellent.

jgatliff

Father, Husband, Outdoorsman, & Adventurer.
Well, I am going to save my money and get either an Eeziawn or Howling Moon. I am curious, why you all are recommending Eeziawn over HM? I have read online in other places that the HM tent is better. Both certainly have their pros and cons. I like the shoe holder on the HM, the EA seems to have a better cover. HM looks like it has a better annex. HM is also over $1000 cheaper for a larger tent (2.4 meter stargazer versus 2.2 meter xclusive).

Dust999

Observer
I've owned a couple of eeziawn tents, great tent, but now prefer the howling moon.......if I was still living in south africa. Here in the US the pricing of the SA tents is nuts. I've just bought the tepui kukenam ruggedized and have to say that its (my opinion) better than an eeziawn and not far behind the howling moon, and for the price point it was a no brainer for me.

chaingangster

Observer
What, may I ask, are these multitude of other issues? Not being snarky, just genuinely curious. We haven't had our CVT in heavy rain, so no leaks for us. What else to watch for?

32vsnake

Adventurer
First night out in our CVT and we got caught in a PNW down poor. Rained hard all through the night and into the morning. The tent never officially leaked , but it had a dampish feeling to it. Coated it with some fabric rain repellent and it's been solid ever since.

Also have some issues with the some of the grommets on the windows pulling away where the supports are installed.

Other than that I'd say it's been fairly durable and a good entry point for a RTT

Pacsman72

Having good luck with CVT Shasta

We've had the CVT Shasta for over a year. First night we used it, we had an incredible downpour with over a foot of water in our campsite. We climbed up and stayed bone dry all night. We've had some showers since then several times and still no leaking at all. A few minor issues with zippers, etc.. but the customer service has been great to help resolve quickly. I hope to get at least 5 good years of monthly use (or maybe more) before saying it was an overall good product, but so far, no complaints. To me, I am willing to put up with slight issues and save $1000 or more... I'll just buy another newer model later with what I saved. It's like anything else, you can pay a lot more for something mire robust, but eventually you'll get diminishing returns on your investment and you're just spending money to have the label.

Considering the price, I am staying with CVT as long as the product stays reasonably reliable and they continue to help out with any issues and so far, customer service has been fantastic!

32vsnake

Adventurer
CVT has been good for me and I'm a canuck :)... of course I also have access to a local re-seller that is super helpful

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles