EEZI-Awn Stealth or AluCab?

Summer 2019's plans took us in a direction that didn't allow much time in the 4Runner, so I sold our soft side RTT. My wife is just now speaking to me again... We are looking at the move toward a hard shell and are narrowing the search to the Stealth or the AluCab. I have done the searches, read the reviews, watched the videos, but would appreciate hearing some first-person reports as to your experiences with the two models.

Thank you.

towee

Okie can’t speak to the stealth but had the alu cab for the last year. It’s a very well made user friendly tent I was super happy with it. Not sure if you are in Oklahoma or not but mine will be on my truck for a few more days before it goes to its new owner you are welcome to come check it out I’m in OKC.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
@Okie Preacher , have you any experience with a hard shell RTT? I've owned a hard shell for about 8 yrs and after watching reviews on both AluCab and Stealth, I would choose the AluCab, just from experience. I don't have 1st hand experience with either of these tents, but from what I see and have experienced with mine, that's the way I would go. The side doors on the Stealth look like an issue. I like the screen on the outside and pivot on the bottom. Stealth's are the opposite. Also the Stealth's screen material that is shown in the review on the back door, looks really cheesy. And the Stealth's scissors mechanism looks like an accident waiting to happen. They even warn you to keep the tent fabric clear while closing the tent. I know how to close a hard shell after 8 yrs experience and unless you have 2 or more people, closing that tent, with out the elastic band that AluCab and others use to help pull in the tent fabric, it'll be an issue. Notice that they demonstrate opening & closing the tent from the ground and not mounted on a rig. That design for more foot room is also used on some JB tents with front latches and IMHO, would be a source for leaks while transporting - especially after years of use. The ladder storage looks like a good idea, but their ladder looks like crap. The rungs are so narrow you'd need shoes on to use it. I'm also wondering with the ladder compartment under the mattress, it would have to make an uneven base for the mattress. I was hoping they'd show how it looked under the mattress. Just some things to consider from an experienced hard shell owner.

@Okie Preacher , have you any experience with a hard shell RTT? I've owned a hard shell for about 8 yrs and after watching reviews on both AluCab and Stealth, I would choose the AluCab, just from experience. I don't have 1st hand experience with either of these tents, but from what I see and have experienced with mine, that's the way I would go. The side doors on the Stealth look like an issue. I like the screen on the outside and pivot on the bottom. Stealth's are the opposite. Also the Stealth's screen material that is shown in the review on the back door, looks really cheesy. And the Stealth's scissors mechanism looks like an accident waiting to happen. They even warn you to keep the tent fabric clear while closing the tent. I know how to close a hard shell after 8 yrs experience and unless you have 2 or more people, closing that tent, with out the elastic band that AluCab and others use to help pull in the tent fabric, it'll be an issue. Notice that they demonstrate opening & closing the tent from the ground and not mounted on a rig. That design for more foot room is also used on some JB tents with front latches and IMHO, would be a source for leaks while transporting - especially after years of use. The ladder storage looks like a good idea, but their ladder looks like crap. The rungs are so narrow you'd need shoes on to use it. I'm also wondering with the ladder compartment under the mattress, it would have to make an uneven base for the mattress. I was hoping they'd show how it looked under the mattress. Just some things to consider from an experienced hard shell owner.
Thank you for the educated input. I just got back from looking over Towee's AluCab, and I have to say I was impressed. The thing is build like a bank vault--the overall quality on the construction seems to be outstanding on all fronts. A couple challenges:
  • I am 6'3" and my toes (particularly because they are attached to size 15 feet) will touch the front edge of the tent.
  • Storing the ladder inside the tent is a drawback. There is a bag to store it, but Towee says it is always wet and a bit of a hassle. The ladder is of excellent construction and very stable...but still.
  • These hard shells are big...no way around that fact. I have a Baja Rack mounted on the 4Runner, and I might need to consider peeling it off and mounting a couple dedicated load bars to mount the tent in an attempt to keep things as tight and low as possible.
Much to consider.

Still looking for a real-life review on the Stealth!

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
Thank you for the educated input. I just got back from looking over Towee's AluCab, and I have to say I was impressed. The thing is build like a bank vault--the overall quality on the construction seems to be outstanding on all fronts. A couple challenges:
  • I am 6'3" and my toes (particularly because they are attached to size 15 feet) will touch the front edge of the tent.
  • Storing the ladder inside the tent is a drawback. There is a bag to store it, but Towee says it is always wet and a bit of a hassle. The ladder is of excellent construction and very stable...but still.
  • These hard shells are big...no way around that fact. I have a Baja Rack mounted on the 4Runner, and I might need to consider peeling it off and mounting a couple dedicated load bars to mount the tent in an attempt to keep things as tight and low as possible.
Much to consider.

Still looking for a real-life review on the Stealth!
Your welcome. I think one of the best values of any forum is being able to glean an experienced input. Hard shell tents are so very much different than the folding soft shell ones. I think you're being wise about the Stealth....nothing like 1st hand or hands on experience. Also to take advantage of the opportunity to have hands on shopping before plunking down the $.

With your feet touching the front edge may or may not become an issue. It's the same with mine. If I'm sleeping in a mummy bag, it is noticeable & can be annoying. With bedding or a double bag, I don't notice it at all. I know that sounds weird, but that's the way it works for me.

As far as ladders are concerned, most that come with an RTT are difficult to deal with, even hard shells. I would get a telescoping one from Amazon or Ebay. They are much easier and versatile to work with. My RTT came with a telescoping ladder and it's lasted me 8 yrs. I store it in my rig - not the tent.

Your welcome. I think one of the best values of any forum is being able to glean an experienced input. Hard shell tents are so very much different than the folding soft shell ones. I think you're being wise about the Stealth....nothing like 1st hand or hands on experience. Also to take advantage of the opportunity to have hands on shopping before plunking down the $.

With your feet touching the front edge may or may not become an issue. It's the same with mine. If I'm sleeping in a mummy bag, it is noticeable & can be annoying. With bedding or a double bag, I don't notice it at all. I know that sounds weird, but that's the way it works for me.

As far as ladders are concerned, most that come with an RTT are difficult to deal with, even hard shells. I would get a telescoping one from Amazon or Ebay. They are much easier and versatile to work with. My RTT came with a telescoping ladder and it's lasted me 8 yrs. I store it in my rig - not the tent.
We enjoyed our first RTT (a James Baroud Nomad 160) and used it from Mexico to the Arctic. We had a different trip planned this summer involving backpacks and a whole lot of hiking , so we sent it down the road to a new home in San Diego. The downside of the soft-side tent for us was two-fold: putting things back together in the morning (especially in the cold or rain) was a pain, and she really didn't like high winds (we got chased out of Big Bend Ranch State Park in the middle of the night last March as the wind was DISMANTLING us).

My only real concern with the Stealth or the AluCab is weight. I am running a '17 4Runner with Dobinsons heavy, variable rate springs on the rear, and medium springs on the front coilovers. A C4 rear bumper with a spare tire and 40 liters of water (when full), a deck and drawer system and a fridge in the rear. It handled the James Baroud without a whimper, but that tent was probably fifty pounds lighter. We certainly aren't rock crawlers--more Forest Service and Fire Roads (mixed with a whole lot of 75 mph Interstate driving to get there). Is a 4Runner up to the task?

harpersJK

I've had the Stealth tent for a year and my wife and I love it. I do have the newer model that is slightly different from the original. Very comfortable mattress, after you release the front and back latches,it goes up in less than 15 seconds. I personally wasn't crazy about the clamshell design, didn't want to feel confined and wanted plenty of room by our feet. The build quality is first class, I just took it off my Jeep last weekend and it still looks like the day I installed it. As for the scissor hinging, no issues at all, very sturdy. Eezi-Awn has been making quality tents for years, they know what they're doing. All the elastic bands are inside the tent, I've had no issues with the material interfering with the scissor hinge. On the new model, all the Stealth doors pivot at the bottom, no issues. Also, no issues with the screen material. I've been in heavy downpours and not a drop of water inside the tent. The ladder stores nicely under the tent, does not interrupt the mattress. The new model does have a revised rear window awning, lighting and power inside the tent along with storage compartments on both sides. I did change out the switched light for a touch sensitive one that the on/off switch does stay on so I could see it in the middle of the night. I have absolutely no complaints with this tent. I do have a Rhino Rack platform on top, so I can rotate between my Rhino Rack ladder or Stealth ladder. Neither are easy on bare feet, nothing some plumber pipe foam can't resolve.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Randy

Attachments

• stealth tent.jpg
    stealth tent.jpg
    525.4 KB · Views: 66

harpersJK

Attached are a couple pics of the rear window and elastic bands inside the tent.

Randy

Attachments

• stealth elastic.jpg
    stealth elastic.jpg
    637.5 KB · Views: 78
  • stealth rear.jpg
    stealth rear.jpg
    592.8 KB · Views: 76

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
.............My only real concern with the Stealth or the AluCab is weight. I am running a '17 4Runner with Dobinsons heavy, variable rate springs on the rear, and medium springs on the front coilovers. A C4 rear bumper with a spare tire and 40 liters of water (when full), a deck and drawer system and a fridge in the rear. It handled the James Baroud without a whimper, but that tent was probably fifty pounds lighter. We certainly aren't rock crawlers--more Forest Service and Fire Roads (mixed with a whole lot of 75 mph Interstate driving to get there). Is a 4Runner up to the task?
If you're concerned with all the overland gear robbing your power/perfomance, you can re-gear either the diffs or transfer case. I did that with my 80 series with excellent results. Went with 5.29 diffs, but I'm also running 35" tires. So with that plus all the armor and gear - it was practically a necessity. To be totally honest, I was planning on towing an off road trailer. So it's worked out well running all the overland gear on the Land Cruiser or when I move it to the trailer. Either way, you have to pull the weight.

As far as a heavy RTT & load throwing off your CG and how it will affect the handling, it would be best to wait for another experienced similar 4Runner owner to chime in. I know 80's, but not knowledgeable with 4Runners other than I've wheeled with some and know they're a very capable rig. I'd check into upgrading your anti sway bars, though, for peace of mind.

Wallygator

Adventurer
I don't have the stealth but I have the Eezi-Awn Blade which has the same shell as the stealth but is a clam shell design. I went with the Blade to save on a little weight, ease of setup and takedown, and durability with the aluminum shell. The Blade is a little lighter than both the models you asked about here. The Blade has been great tent so far but I have not had it very long. The ladder as mentioned is a little hard on the feet but I don't go up and down 6 times a night...see "p bottle.";)

I have it mounted on my 2016 4Runner. I decided before getting the tent to upgrade the suspension because I felt the stock suspension was simply too soft for the amount weight I would be carrying in and on top of the 4. So I have stiffer suspension front and rear and it handles the Blade real well. I have lost about 2 mpg with this setup but that's the price of having a 4Runner RV...or any modded vehicle for that matter. I have adjusted my driving habits and that has helped. I no longer have to be the first person to my destination. Realized going slower is actually kinda fun.

One thing I need or want to change on the Blade is I would like to add a 12V and USB plugs to the interior. Currently the Blade only has an LED light and I have been lugging a Yeti 400 up to the tent in order to charge my devices and have them near me. I believe the Alu -Cab clamshell comes with these items in it already. But the Blade does not and I will be correcting that next year. Researching which way I want to go with that currently. Anyway if you have any questions just shout. But any of the tents mentioned here are very nice, easy to setup/takedown, and I feel the Blade tent should last me a very long time if I do my part.

I don't have the stealth but I have the Eezi-Awn Blade which has the same shell as the stealth but is a clam shell design. I went with the Blade to save on a little weight, ease of setup and takedown, and durability with the aluminum shell. The Blade is a little lighter than both the models you asked about here. The Blade has been great tent so far but I have not had it very long. The ladder as mentioned is a little hard on the feet but I don't go up and down 6 times a night...see "p bottle.";)

I have it mounted on my 2016 4Runner. I decided before getting the tent to upgrade the suspension because I felt the stock suspension was simply too soft for the amount weight I would be carrying in and on top of the 4. So I have stiffer suspension front and rear and it handles the Blade real well. I have lost about 2 mpg with this setup but that's the price of having a 4Runner RV...or any modded vehicle for that matter. I have adjusted my driving habits and that has helped. I no longer have to be the first person to my destination. Realized going slower is actually kinda fun.

One thing I need or want to change on the Blade is I would like to add a 12V and USB plugs to the interior. Currently the Blade only has an LED light and I have been lugging a Yeti 400 up to the tent in order to charge my devices and have them near me. I believe the Alu -Cab clamshell comes with these items in it already. But the Blade does not and I will be correcting that next year. Researching which way I want to go with that currently. Anyway if you have any questions just shout. But any of the tents mentioned here are very nice, easy to setup/takedown, and I feel the Blade tent should last me a very long time if I do my part.
Thanks for the input! I looked at the Blade and think there advantages to her...but those size 15 feet at the end of my legs are voting for the expanded space available in the Stealth! ?

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider

How do you like the doors being on the outside of the screens? For me, it's better to have screens on the outside. During warmer nights, when there's insects, you don't have to open the screen to adjust how open or closed your doors are and thereby letting pests into your tent.

J C B

What are the actual sleeping dimensions of the stealth? Also of the tall variety and large foot stigma, looking to see if a hardshell works for us and I like the look of open box end on stealth.
Thanks for any and all help

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94