Eezi-Awn K9 Rack vs. Frontrunner (4Runner 4th Gen)

ThePartyWagon

Super old thread but I thought I'd chime in here as I work for Equipt Expedition Outfitters and 5th Gen 4Runners have been one of our most popular platforms for Eezi Awn roof rack installations this year.

On the 5th Gen 4Runner racks, if you are not running a full length rack, the entire rack will be mounted to factory mounting points. If you extend the rack/rail past the forward most factory mounting point, you will have the K9 rail held in place by the leverage of the rack applying pressure downward on the front of the rail. There are 5 different rack sizes so you can choose what best suits your needs. We like our racks because they are fully welded, not bolted together. Less hardware to loosen up on dirt roads, more structural integrity and it costs us more to ship but you get an expedition grade welded rack system vs. bolted together aluminum extrusions. Not knocking other brands here, there are plenty out there being used and abused, just sharing why we are proud of the Eezi Awn line of products.

Alternatively, if you want an extended length rack, we install a small bracket called a tophat to create a forward mounting point in the roof. This bracket requires two small holes to be drilled in the pinch weld and we then rivet the bracket in place after sealing with silicone or RTV. These are strong and secure but they do require 4 small holes to be drilled in the vehicle. Most folks who have us do the installations at our shop opt for the additional brackets for structural integrity, not necessary though.

Top hat pictured below. This is not a 4Runner but it's the same bracket. I was testing different rivet sizes to see what works before on these brackets. These brackets end up flush with the rubber trim, then the K9 rail gets mounted over the trim and bracket.

If you want a full length rack, as far as I'm aware, you're going to have the front end mounted without a mounting point, or, you are going to drill holes. I have not come across a rack that offers a full length size that provides an alternative mounting solution up front. Otherwise, you will end up with a shorter rack system as pictured above, as mjohsn2 shows.

IMG_0548.JPG

This was an installation on a Chevy Colorado, which has no factory mounting points other than goofy little studs that are of no use. This entire rack was mounted using the tophat brackets and I have zero concerns with structural integrity. The pinch weld was nearly 1/4" thick, plenty of support, same goes for the 4Runner pinch weld.

IMG_0552.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior