Eezi-Awn K9 Rack vs. Frontrunner (4Runner 4th Gen)

trabs00

Lifetime Social Distancer
Hi all,

New member here, long time reader.

I have a 2006 4Runner 4th Gen with moonroof.

I am in the market for a roof rack and have narrowed it down to either the Eezi-Awn K9 rack (2 or 2.2 meter) or the FrontRunner Slimline II which is ~1.8 meter length. I like this style of rack and not willing to consider Baja, Gobi etc unless there are other racks similar to the K9 / Frontrunner in terms of ease of adaptability etc.

I currently use a Thule box for certain items and then with the help of 3 Thule cross bars and a modified Yakima basketcase carry my shovel, TRED 800, 20L Scepter MWC and kolpin fuel container (pic attached). I am looking to upgrade for more room on the roof and higher load capacity, but not looking to use RTT. Both can be modified to have a set of Thule bars mounted so I can use my cargo box and both have lots of mounting options.

I am leaning towards the K9 for the increased length but worried about regretting covering up my moonroof. I don't drive with it open all that much but do like the extra light that it lets in. Anyone regret having a full length rack over their moonroof?

K9 Rack
Pros: larger, can adjust height of rack up and down,
Cons: More expensive (~$355 vs FrontRunner), less flexibility in rack orientation (welded)
Questions: without real mounting feet forward of the sunroof on the 4Runner, will the rack be stable? read one comment that it needs some weight in the front or will lift up.

FrontRunner Rack
Pros: more adjustable, cheaper, more accessory options
Cons: smaller, less ability to raise / lower the rack,

I would love to hear from anyone who has had both, or someone who went through a similar decision and can share feedback. I haven't seen either in person yet so this puts me at a disadvantage. I have little concern with the Frontrunner, only that I will wish I had gone with a larger rack.
Really curious about long-term impressions and feedback on if you could do it again if you would go a different direction.

Thanks

Travis

Attachments

• Trabs00 4Runner 2.jpg
    Trabs00 4Runner 2.jpg
    554.4 KB · Views: 67

trabs00

Almost forgot, would love to see some photos of your roof rack, especially on 4Runners...

badtoytrd

Mountain Lover
I can't attest to the difference between the 2 but I love my Front Runner. I have an older model that isn't as adjustable but it is still awesome. As far as your concern on adjusting the height you could always buy different feet to mount the rack and raise it up. Mine is on a Tacoma so a pic really won't help too much.

nevetsvsx

I compared these exact same 2 for my 5th Gen 4runner and went with the k9. The front runner bolts together instead of being welded so to me that makes more potential failure points when rattling it around Offroad. Also I really wanted the longer rack and front runner doesn't have that option. I'll see if I can post some pics, but the k9's build quality is impeccable (and it's all aluminum so no worries about rust ever... Not sure on the front runner material).

Also the rack doesn't make the sunroof useless but does add some wind noise. I honestly think the deflector makes the noise worse instead of helping. Since switching out the deflector foe the light bar the noise is reduced. It doesn't bother me but it does bother my wife.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

60aa24a2ad61e494a512e7ecfde81342.jpg

2b8bf8db4f0172de9bd5e61ad7909fd6.jpg

8ac05287549cb1267bddc83050ea4a45.jpg

55174954c1dedd6226ddd04306a50b5c.jpg

ad012c68d82827c195e035bb3a933426.jpg

Last edited:

nevetsvsx

Oh yah, the front mount not being bolted to the roof doesn't cause any problems either with the k9

trabs00

Nevetsvsx, thanks for your take on the rack and the pics, love your truck. What light bar and was it easy to mount to the K9 rack? Any input on how secure the overhanging portion is? I'm almost convinced to go K9 rack, just wish it wasn't so pricey

trabs00

Oh yah, the front mount not being bolted to the roof doesn't cause any problems either with the k9

Thanks, that was a potential deal breaker glad to hear no issues for you

outdoornate65

Adventurer
I replaced my old Thule set-up with a Front-Runner this spring. I've got a 2008 4-Runner.

The fit/finish on the FR rack is really nice. I splurged on a few accessories including a kayak rack, jerry can holder, shovel mount and shower arm.
I also bought the universal accessory mounts and was able to adapt them to mount my Fiamma F35 Awning.
The only issue I have run into is they do not offer a canoe specific rack. Their kayak rack is listed as both a kayak/canoe rack but in reality it's best suited for kayaks.

I do not have a moon-roof so can't speak to that issue.

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
K-9

I don't know about the FR but you can still use a Thule kayak mount with the K-9 I have the quick release mounts so the tent and kayak mounts come off quickly and easily.

Attachments

• PA267738.jpg
    PA267738.jpg
    543 KB · Views: 53
  • PC027772.jpg
    PC027772.jpg
    528.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 20141023_155915.jpg
    20141023_155915.jpg
    567.1 KB · Views: 43

trabs00

Thanks Desert Rat,

Btw how do you like your Overcamp RTT? I have been looking at those, love that you still have so much storage space on the roof rack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles