eezi awn 1800 mounting -help!

jah310

Adventurer
I've gotten far enough on my trailer build that I'm able to mount my RTT tent, however I'm running into an issue with the mounting hardware.

As I'm sure you guys know, the RTT has aluminum rails on the bottom that are used for mounting to load bars. On one side (driver side) the rails are accessible in that you can slide hardware into the rail - this works great. However the rail on the other side (passenger side) has the ends blocked by rails that are perpendicular to it. Since the ends are blocked I can't slide the mounting hardware in. I feel like I've got to be missing something as this can't be the way it suppose to be. I bought the tent used, so I don't have any instructions or anything (not that this should be difficult at all). Below are some pics that might help explain my challenge.

Here is the side (driver's side) that has rails with open ends allowing me to slide in the mounting hardware.

IMG_2340.jpg

Here is the passenger side with the blocked rail ends. Both the front and back are blocked, and there is no way I can slide the mounting hardware in.
IMG_2342.jpg

I've tried to see if I could get the mounting hardware in some other way, but no luck (btw the hardware I'm using is from AT trailers - see bottom of this page http://www.adventuretrailers.com/rooftentaccessories.html )

Is this unique to my tent, or am I just being a bonehead here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks.

Mr Voima

This may sound dumb and you've probably tried it already, but I know sometimes I can't see the forest for the tress :peepwall:

With uni strut type rails you can slide the captive nuts into the rail on the angle at any point along the rail ( it looks like you have the room to slide it in vertical and then rotate it back around to the flat but maybe it's just the photo angle) it's just sometimes a ***** to line it back up to get the bolts back in.

Cheers,

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
Hi Joost

That is a very interesting set up on the extrusions. It isn't how the come from Eezi-Awn, so I can only imagine they were replaced along the way for some reason. The 1800, and all sizes for that matter, come with the extrusions meeting up like in your first photo. They allow access to the extrusion at every corner. Though it isn't the quickest solution, the best solution would be to remove those 2 extrusions that are too long, cut them off so they meet like on the driver's side, and re-install them. It's quite easy to do. Take a drill with 1/4" bit on it and drill the heads off the rivets on the wood panel under the mattress. Take off the extrusion and remove the remaining rivet material, cut the extrusion off, file smooth, and re-install them with new rivets. I have the rivets for this, and would be happy to send them to you. If you choose to go this route, let me know how many to send your way.

Cheers,

jah310

Adventurer
Paul,

Thanks for the response - I'm just glad that I'm not going crazy! I'll follow your suggestion and take one of the blocking rails off, shorten and reinstall. Do they take special rivets, or does a standard kind work? I have several 5/32 stainless steel rivets that I'm using for the trailer build.

I'll reach out to you this morning...

Thanks again!

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
Hi Joost,

Nope, nothing too special on the rivets. They are aluminum, but the stainless ones would be fine. As long as they are close to the same diameter and length, you should be good to go.

Cheers,

jah310

Adventurer
Spoke to Paul from Equipt this morning and as always he was a big help.

Thanks again Paul.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles